Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Pat will to get the grace the same station as the great wolly Parkinson. This probably helped him with his decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

nice money for talking , that s all he does .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I don't say he's as good but he's the next best thing that I can see (the only other person in the ballpark IMO is the current stand-in) Funny I don't find him particularly tactful, in fact sometimes his line of questioning is needlessly confrontational. Plus I'd say he has a genuine interest in some areas where Pat is only swotting up e.g. when someone from Mad Men or The Wire is being interviewed, Matt is likely to have actually watched the box set, whereas Pat has only read a briefing document from one of his researchers.

Having listened to him for years, BS on Kenny not being interested in those sort of topics.

Kenny gets a lot of abuse but he is very clued in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

themont85 wrote: »
    Having listened to him for years, BS on Kenny not being interested in those sort of topics.

Kenny gets a lot of abuse but he is very clued in.

Did you ever watch his Jerry Seinfeld (or 'Seinfield') Toy Show interview? Reckon Pat's a big fan of the sitcom? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk1EOcFv3s8

Now I fully accept that Pat generally has his homework done and rarely gets caught out like this. I'm just suggesting Cooper would generally be more of a 'natural' in interviewing this type of guest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What date is Pat starting on Newstalk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What date is Pat starting on Newstalk?

First Monday in September I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Kenny has a reputation for being wooden for a reason, certainly he is a good broadcaster but after 41 years at the state broadcaster you'd hope so. Matt Cooper is the best in the country for me, in fact if Rte had any cop on they'd replace Kenny with Cooper, but they don't and won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Another thing is...would Cooper go if he was offered? Money talks, but he likely wouldn't get offered the salary Pat was on (again an accumulation of 41 years service) and would also probably have to give up doing TV3 sports coverage in the process. And I can't see them replacing Bill O'Herlihy, Michael Lyster or Des Cahill with Matt either, Darragh Maloney has been lined up for the football gig for years now and he'd have to get in line for GAA presenting jobs. He's also shown little love for the national broadcaster in giving extended coverage to the independent broadcasters and grilling Pat Rabbitte on the licence fee distribution.

The reality is, even IF RTÉ saw him as a viable replacement, they probably couldn't pony up an offer good enough to get him. The days of them just hand-picking talent from the commercial sector at will may be over, another significant development highlighted by Pat's departure.

A good long-term strategy now that the high-paid, high-profile broadcaster years are coming to an end would be to use the firepower of the licence fee to develop a strong, young team capable of arming them for years to come. Yet I don't think they have that foresight. Time will tell I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭serfboard

leggo wrote: »
    I don't ever think I've even met another person who has reminded me of Pat Kenny.
    Well I haven't met him, but this fella reminds me of Pat Kenny. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭GSF

RTE have enough under employed people without needing to recruit externally. They could give Marian the shock of her life by making her appear on air 5 days a week. According to her she works 7 days a week already so she should be available and in the office anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pat will to get the grace the same station as the great wolly Parkinson. This probably helped him with his decision

I have it on good authority that it did. Wooly is set to fill the 'Des Cahill' role in the morning sports roundup.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

heybaby wrote: »
    Kenny has a reputation for being wooden for a reason

That reputation comes from his time presenting the LLS, but he never does those celebrity type interviews that he struggled with in his LLS years on the radio show. That radio show isn't perfect( MLO'D, Paddy O' Gorman and the bloody awful music), but if there was a big current affairs story breaking it's Today with Pat Kenny I would go to for the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That radio show isn't perfect( MLO'D, Paddy O' Gorman and the bloody awful music), but if there was a big current affairs story breaking it's Today with Pat Kenny I would go to for the details.

I would generally agree with that, but there was one howler that sticks in my mind from the dying days of the last government.

The Green Party were holding a hastily arranged Press Conference and had just announced they had pulled out of Government. Pat came back from a break and announced "And apparently the Greens have left the Government, more on that in a moment but first music from (whichever cajun country band were in the studio that day)" He let them play their song, I and most of the country switched over to Newstalk to get more on the Government's collapse.

He really should have dropped everything and gone with the developing story. Hopefully his new show on Newstalk will be more news-based (particularly when there are developing stories), and he won't be quite so obsessed with the obscure musical interludes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'm sure it has been mentioned already but the crucial point in the Kenny move to newstalk is the research budget available to him now. At RTE he would have had a significant research team and archive facility at his disposal.

Therefore the emphasis in NT will have to be on innovation I feel. This is good for the listener of course and I'm intrigued to see the approach he takes on his new show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In reference to research staff don't Newstalk deal more with sensationalism and tabloid journalism anyway? They're known in the market as the 'redtop' station.

Surely Pat knows what he's got himself into, he really does seem out of place when you think about it though.

In reference to research staff don't Newstalk deal more with sensationalism and tabloid journalism anyway? They're known in the market as the 'redtop' station.

Surely Pat knows what he's got himself into, he really does seem out of place when you think about it though.

Kenny can do populism if required. I don't think he will have any problems working for a company where the pursuit of money is celebrated!

Irish Times saying Sean O'Rourke is his replacement at RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Saw that too. A...safe pick, if nothing else.

leggo wrote: »
    Saw that too. A...safe pick, if nothing else.

Kenny without the bling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

He'll be good on the political / current affairs stuff, and probably sport too, but I'm not sure how he'll get on with the cooking or hillbilly warbling slots.

• Advertisement

Pat Kenny and Sean O'Rourke will both be launching their new shows on September 2nd at 10 a.m.

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2013/0810/467428-rte-announces-sean-orourke-in-key-10-12noon-slot/

http://newstalk.ie/Pat-Kenny-joins-Newstalk

Good move by RTE to take on PK directly, and take the attention away from Pat's Newstalk debut.

He will need to hit the round running, Sean O'Rourke is a heavyweight replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I wouldn't have much problem with the 'redtop' characterisation as is, although I'd be more inclined to compare NewsTalk [and TV3] to the Daily Mail or the Sindo.

However, if NewsTalk beef up their presenters in other slots, they'll be more like a quality broadsheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Yakuza wrote: »
    He'll be good on the political / current affairs stuff, and probably sport too, but I'm not sure how he'll get on with the cooking or hillbilly warbling slots.

Hopefully "infrequently and sardonically".

It won't hurt for them to move the entire programme in a more serious direction than the "all meexed up with a double 'elping of paté" nonsense of the PK show. After all, it's only two hours, and it's sandwiched betweek MF, who'll be going much "lighter relief" between MI and SO'R, and Ronan Collins, who'll continue to be making anyone with a brain in their head feel like blowing it over the wall, all across the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Some interesting figures here...
    A study by the country's biggest media buyer shows that a quarter of Kenny's current audience on RTE Radio 1 – 70,000 listeners - are "very likely" to move over to his new show.
    Another quarter are "somewhat likely" to follow Kenny, pictured, and switch over to his Newstalk programme.
    The added listeners will be worth an estimated €500,000 every year in extra advertising deals for Denis O'Brien's independent radio station.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/half-of-kennys-rte-listeners-will-follow-him-to-newstalk-29488543.html

It's sounds like they're over-estimating both the number of defectors there will be from RTE and the increase in revenue, but I don't work in the industry and am just guessing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What does humanist rubbish mean ?

It's sounds like they're over-estimating both the number of defectors there will be from RTE and the increase in revenue, but I don't work in the industry and am just guessing.

I agree, it seems unlikely. You would have to see how the questions were phrased.

Also, the survey must have been carried out before Sean O'Rourke was named as Pat's replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

AKA, "not what the word 'humanist' means."

• Advertisement

McDave wrote: »
    I wouldn't have much problem with the 'redtop' characterisation as is, although I'd be more inclined to compare NewsTalk [and TV3] to the Daily Mail or the Sindo.
    Now that the Irish Sun is putting tops on its inside cover wenches, I'm not sure that the already-sketchy distinction between the "middle market" tabloids and the others is even vaguely feasible, myself.

Advertisement