Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bunch of headwreckers talking about leaving cert. They are comedians???

One of them actually is (the guy). The home schooled woman however is insufferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

The "writer" wasn't much better.

I wouldn't fancy John Gilligan's old house!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh lord that was just glorious.

pat had a bunch of hacks and pat rabbite on to talk about the gov and what might take it down.

the sheer seething rage in pat rabbite at him and his being fecked out by the proles is apparent in his every bitter utterances.

done me heart great to hear it. even though its now obvious that fecker is going to be the next mary o rourke.

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

oh lord that was just glorious.

pat had a bunch of hacks and pat rabbite on to talk about the gov and what might take it down.

the sheer seething rage in pat rabbite at him and his being fecked out by the proles is apparent in his every bitter utterances.

done me heart great to hear it. even though its now obvious that fecker is going to be the next mary o rourke.

:D:D:D:D

I'd turned off at that stage.

Your prediction in bold is frightening.......

its an ego thing.

he's just like john drennan, and about right as often.

:D

what terrifies me is he might just end up replacing Ivan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wasn't listening but if it was anything like his carry on during the election count and after it then he probably had a big red pissed off head up on him in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Betcha she gets the tickets from PK
    So all that publicity paid off

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Sickening stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

All things considered the family were very restrained in their excitement and gratitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

This lad is destroying this Gaeilgeoir nazi ..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 El Reich

I rarely agree with Ian Doherty but it was hard to disagree with him on this.

She was a terrible representative of the Gaeilgeoir movement. On one hand she wants a country where both languages are spoken, which as somebody who attended a Gaelscoil I agree with.

On the other hand she expects civil servants to converse with her as Gaeilge and believes it to be her "right". That IS being awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

El Reich wrote: »

She was a terrible representative of the Gaeilgeoir movement. On one hand she wants a country where both languages are spoken, which as somebody who attended a Gaelscoil I agree with.

On the other hand she expects civil servants to converse with her as Gaeilge and believes it to be her "right". That IS being awkward.

Exactly the reason so many Irish have such a negative attitude to Irish

But it should be, if we were serious about reviving irish.

But we're not and just won't admit it by dropping it completely and leaving it as a minority interest for those who care.

Also as an aside I'd imagine Ian O'Doherty learnt about as much mathematics as he did Irish, not being interested was not his problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 El Reich

But it should be, if we were serious about reviving irish.

But we're not and just won't admit it by dropping it completely and leaving it as a minority interest for those who care.

Also as an aside I'd imagine Ian O'Doherty learnt about as much mathematics as he did Irish, not being interested was not his problem.

I know what you are saying but I would see the only revival coming from a drastic overhaul of the education system with a plan spanning the next few decades.

As it stands we struggle to recruit enough TEACHERS with a high standard of Irish never mind bloody civil servants. It is just impractical in 2016 to expect to converse in Irish as a "civil right".

I remember being in the Donegal Gaeltacht about 15 years ago and a man in his late 90's passed away. He was said to be one of the last people in the country who actually didn't speak English.

Refusing to speak the common language is just being pig headed and awkward.

Agree 100% about Doherty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

But it should be, if we were serious about reviving Irish.

That's the key word, I'm afraid. Whatever about sustaining Irish in parts of the country where it has some continuity of use, no matter how thin - large parts of the island lost the language. Any trying to revive or reinvent it in these large tracts and make it meaningful to a people in a rapidly changing world saturated with English media, is like pissing against the wind. You can do it, but..

Insisting on the right to converse in Irish with ordinary officialdom is just impractical. And a potential waste of human & financial resources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 CONservativ

You have to hand it to PK. His level of preparation is unmatched. He is always well informed about his guests unlike D'arcy who seems to do zero preparation.

I'm surprised he isn't doing better on Newstalk as I would consider it a far superior show to Sean O'Rourke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence - one is a time-served professional broadcast journalist, the other is a time-served professional bluffer.

Could t agree more with comparisons between Kenny and D'arcy . D'arcy is an immature giggling schoolboy and a poor interviewer . Kenny is so well researched and up to speed with his topics . I'm also impressed lately with George Hooks interviewing skills , very well researched and prepared and always manages to get a slightly different angle on his questions . Ray D'arcy is totally incompetent by comparison .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭AdolfEngland

Where in Dalkey is Pat broadcasting from this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Where in Dalkey is Pat broadcasting from this morning?

Dalkey Heritage Centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

"Sammy Wilson saying the future's bright..."

The future's Orange surely?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

That "Stop Sip Sleep" always seemed stupid to me. We are generally told not to drink coffee before you sleep, and sleep experts tell you not to sleep for short periods of time because your body is expecting a full night's sleep and you will wake up even more tired.

darth sidius on pat kenny now.

let the mental europhillia bollcoks beging !

:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 AloisaAdolf

A second referendum is a dead cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This is beyond boring.

What do people think of SO'R and Pat Kenny book-clubs?

I haven't heard the SO'R one myself, I've given-up on his show.

But the Pat Kenny one is mostly dirge. I can't understand what Brian Kennedy is there for, and whilst I actually like Mary O'Rourke on radio, she isn't suited to any slot where she must share air time.

Katherine Lynch is the only voice of intelligence, she obviously inherited her late uncle's literary genes.

Overall, I'm not sure a book club works on radio. At least, not in its present format on PK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

What do people think of SO'R and Pat Kenny book-clubs?

But the Pat Kenny one is mostly dirge.

Overall, I'm not sure a book club works on radio. At least, not in its present format on PK.

Listening to Pat try to say Our Souls at Night in a very distinct manner a few weeks ago was quite fun, though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Book Club is rubbish as is the Cultural Toolbox (no I'm not a heathen!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I used to think the Irish language lobbyists were like the Catholic Church. But they're actually a lot worse. At least the church has some kind of self awareness of itself and the fact that not everyone is a devout believer and that many people simply do not believe at all. They accept that. But not so the Irish lobby. No sir. The Irish lobby simply believe that they are right. That Gaeilge is right. And that all Irish people should subscribe to their own personal nationalistic notions concerning the language. They are fanatics so subscribed to their own ideology that they have no sense of self awareness whatsoever due to the sensitive way in which they are treated by government.

Of course culture is important, and languages are important. But culture should never be forced upon others, never mind upon an entire nation. That defeats the purpose of culture. And it means the culture has already failed if it has to be forced upon people against their will.

English is the native language of Ireland, and has been for over a century now. We look at Britain and its recent tribulations and many people mock them for the decision they made. Yet the decision they made was based on rational and thinking which is a lot closer to that of Irish language lobbyists than educated, reasonable and logical thinkers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Canadel wrote: »
    English is the native language of Ireland, and has been for over a century now.

If you take the greater east coast, extending into Munster and Ulster - English has been the lingua franca for two or three centuries at least. Irish certainly held on in pockets and west of the Shannon and north west, declining in mid late 1800s. Read Synge's accounts of his visits to the Aran Islands for example to learn the language.

Advertisement