Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

His technology correspondent recommended Beats headphones!

There is a consensus on any half decent audio message board that that they are overpriced, bass boated, fashion accessory muck.

Very strange :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

f) disregard d) & e) for being completely false. 1.25 refugees accepted for every 1000 inhabitants in Ireland between mid-2015 and 2007, which would put us ahead of Greece, Hungary, Poland, Portgual, Latvia, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Croatia, Slovakia, Slovenia etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_refugee_population

And don't bother pulling out some totally irrelevant stat of the last 12 months of madness and turmoil with hundreds of thousands crossing mainland Europe.

We are doing more than enough.

e ) http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/only-25-granted-asylum-last-year-lowest-rate-in-eu-26718014.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

serfboard wrote: »
    ... and behind Bulgaria, Italy UK, Luxembourg, Finland, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Cyprus, Austria and Sweden to take EU countries only from that list.

you may want to read back on the original quote;
    foxtrot101 wrote: »
    d) has accepted fewer refugees than any other EU country e) has one of the highest refusal rates.

neither of these statements are true so I don't really know what relevance your quote has to mine.

The Indo as a source for anything other than government spin and poor journalism?...no thanks. Plus that article is from 2011 and although it is hard to see what the 'journalists' point is, it is mostly about the country being in the dogs and thus less asylum seekers and less refugees granted asylum in a very short period of time. look at the figures over a ten year period...we are doing more than enough.

you may want to read back on the original quote;

neither of these statements are true so I don't really know what relevance your quote has to mine.

The Indo as a source for anything other than government spin and poor journalism?...no thanks. Plus that article is from 2011 and although it is hard to see what the 'journalists' point is, it is mostly about the country being in the dogs and thus less asylum seekers and less refugees granted asylum in a very short period of time. look at the figures over a ten year period...we are doing more than enough.

OK. You don't want to be bothered with anything from the past 12 months, and 2011 too far ago, how about data from 2013( there's nearly always a time lag with this sort of data). The average rate approval of applications in the EU was 25.2 per cent. Ireland's rate of only 8.6 per cent. Correction there are 3 countries with lower rates - Luxembourg 1.8 per cent of applicants, Greece 4.9 per cent, and Cyprus at 5.2 per cent.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-asylum-seekers-eu-955725-Jun2013/

OK. You don't want to be bothered with anything from the past 12 months, and 2011 too far ago, how about data from 2013( there's nearly always a time lag with this sort of data). The average rate approval of applications in the EU was 25.2 per cent. Ireland's rate of only 8.6 per cent. Correction there are 3 countries with lower rates - Luxembourg 1.8 per cent of applicants, Greece 4.9 per cent, and Cyprus at 5.2 per cent.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-asylum-seekers-eu-955725-Jun2013/

from the indo to the journal.ie! :D

no, I don't want to look at one year or two years data, which by the way both articles are sourcing data in the midst of the biggest financial catastrophe this country has ever faced, I want to look at it over a decade which gives a true reflection of just how compliant we are with accepting refugees from a reliable source such as UNHCR data, which I have done which rubbishes both of those rubbishy articles...and yet again, the completely untrue comments that were made a few comments back which prompted me to respond in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

I don't really know what relevance your quote has to mine.
    Your contention that:
    We are doing more than enough.
    is actually belied by the statistics that you quote. The fact that we are doing more than ten of the poorest countries in the EU, but less than twelve of the better-off, is not "more than enough" IMO.

from the indo to the journal.ie! :D

and yet again, the completely untrue comments that were made a few comments back which prompted me to respond in the first place.

If you have a problem with something because it's in the journal, that's up to you, I don't particularly care. All the article is doing is reporting on figures published by the EU that day. I stand by by the claim that - Ireland has one of the highest refusal rates/lowest approval rates. I should have said of has accepted fewer refugees than "most" other EU country, rather than "any", but again I think this is factual correct i.e Ireland accepts fewer refugees than most other EU country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There is a consensus on any half decent audio message board that that they are overpriced, bass boated, fashion accessory muck.

Well there seems to be a consensus among actual tech types on here and elsewhere that said correspondent hasn't a clue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

The several sets that she was sent for 'testing' were probably perfectly ok.

I like that site she recommended for searching out and clearing forgotten accounts.

If you have a problem with something because it's in the journal, that's up to you, I don't particularly care. All the article is doing is reporting on figures published by the EU that day. I stand by by the claim that - Ireland has one of the highest refusal rates/lowest approval rates. I should have said of has accepted fewer refugees than "most" other EU country, rather than "any", but again I think this is factual correct i.e Ireland accepts fewer refugees than most other EU country

Yes you could've said that, but you didn't. You made a completely false and inaccurate claim and if you hadn't we probably wouldn't be having this back and forth nonsense as I wouldn't have bothered responding in the first place. Standing by a claim which is now reworded and gives completely different meaning to it is a bit odd.

• Advertisement

Yes you could've said that, but you didn't. You made a completely false and inaccurate claim and if you hadn't we probably wouldn't be having this back and forth nonsense as I wouldn't have bothered responding in the first place. Standing by a claim which is now reworded and gives completely different meaning to it is a bit odd.

There was in fact two statements. The one I was arguing was e) Ireland has one of the highest refusal rates. Which is true.

The first part, I misquoted something I heard on the radio recently - it happens. But when you look at the actual figures between us and the rest of the developed countries in Europe the difference is quite marked.

?width=630&version=2312568

So, what are you basing your claim that "we are doing more than enough" on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Pat just spent the last full 20min goin mental at the loss of water charges with Simon covney .

Twas a glorious sight to behold !

Even putting on funny voices to make fun of protesters.

:)

Ya have to steam it for the LOLs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jon Snow just been on about Syria and you know things are bad when he sounds so downbeat.

I listened to the BBC news this morning and the discussions from yesterday in the House of Commons are quite alarming - the Russians busy doing Cold War drills for their citizens....what are the Irish government doing apart from discussing Brexit and Irish Water? Given that Ireland has no plan, or ability, to protect any of us in event of a nuclear event it would be no harm if the Government got off their backsides and launched some sort of international initiative to defuse things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Given that Ireland has no plan, or ability, to protect any of us in event of a nuclear event it a local or global issue

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Jon Snow just been on about Syria and you know things are bad when he sounds so downbeat.

I listened to the BBC news this morning and the discussions from yesterday in the House of Commons are quite alarming - the Russians busy doing Cold War drills for their citizens....what are the Irish government doing apart from discussing Brexit and Irish Water? Given that Ireland has no plan, or ability, to protect any of us in event of a nuclear event it would be no harm if the Government got off their backsides and launched some sort of international initiative to defuse things?

Did you not get your iodine tablets? Anyway I have my tinfoil hat ready :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If the government were being honest, they should just send out cyanide pills to every citizen to be taken once the first nukes are launched.

I've played the realistic simulation of post-nuclear war that is Fallout. Spend money on stuff we can enjoy now rather than frittering it away trying to prepare for survival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If the government were being honest, they should just send out cyanide pills to every citizen to be taken once the first nukes are launched.

I've played the realistic simulation of post-nuclear war that is Fallout. Spend money on stuff we can enjoy now rather than frittering it away trying to prepare for survival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,146 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

wnolan1992 wrote: »

I hope the first strike hits me on the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

We had a meeting in the office today and we have decided that we’re not going to invite Pat's resident psychoanalyst and counsellor, Tony Moore to our Christmas party this year ;)

Dear God, I know sometimes people get a bit carried away at Christmas parties and some common sense is required etc... but Tony was a complete wet blanket this morning.

I nearly fell of my seat when Tony recommended a Christmas jumper dress code to the employer who mentioned that they were a bit concerned that one staff member might wear something low cut or revealing :D However, it was very funny listening to Pat suggesting chat up lines to try out on colleagues.

I remember at one of our Christmas parties a few years back, a colleague sang Fr. Ted’s My Lovely Horse, she changed the word ‘horse’ to ‘boss’……harmless enough until she got to ‘the riding over fences’ line. Of course the inevitable happened and the boss heard her but there was no harm done and we still laugh over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Pat getting stuck in to this Shinner spoofer again. Great stuff. Finally somebody is nailing them on their populist bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

This is absolute gold. Pat gettin the knickers in some twist here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

This is absolute gold. Pat gettin the knickers in some twist here!!

As they would say on the street... "He's gone all Joe Duffy on his as$".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Pat has lost it. Very unprofessional...
    Why doesn't he treat other spoofing politicians the same????

George and Pat always lose the head when talking to the sinners, aaa, and Paul Murphy. Now they're correct to call them on their bullpoo, not debating that.
    But how about doing the same to Simon coveney, fianna fail spoofers etc?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

enzo roco wrote: »
    Pat has lost it. Very unprofessional...
    Why doesn't he treat other spoofing politicians the same????

George and Pat always lose the head when talking to the sinners, aaa, and Paul Murphy. Now they're correct to call them on their bullpoo, not debating that.
    But how about doing the same to Simon coveney, fianna fail spoofers etc?????

Contrast and compare his tone, the ferocity of his questions and his general demeanour today when interviewing an anti-water charge campaigner from Sinn Fein with the much more relaxed tone he adopted yesterday with the Fine Gael politician. Not defending what SF have done in the past but when he went off-topic and started bringing up Sinn Fein's involvement in the Northern troubles, then he really showed his cards. It would also help, if he was truly interested in the answers to his questions, if he'd actually let them answer without continually interrupting. Pat needs to understand that not everyone thinks like him and he has to make his mind up whether he wants to be an impartial interviewer, he also claimed that he is in touch with low earners but mentioned someone working extra hours for €10 an hour(but overtime is usually paid at 1.5 times the regular rate and the minimum wage is €9.15 an hour, so 1.5 times minimum wage is €13.72 an hour!!)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Fully expect a statement from Mary Lou later calling Pat unprofessional, biased and try to paint this as some sort of anti-Shinner propaganda like they do anytime their populist bull**** is called out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ha, the winner of the prize there was lovely.

Feelgood, nice for a change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

PatKenny: “You’re supposed to be the working man's friend and yet you want to keep the regime where half of what you pay goes to the Revenue. People who work an hour's overtime and half of it goes to Michael Noonan, how is that fair?”
    EoinÓBroin: “I would imagine I spend a lot more time with ordinary, average income workers than you do, Pat”.
    PatKenny: “Cheap shot, cheap shot, cheap shot. All my colleagues in Newstalk are not high earners. I know their difficulties. I am mature. I’ve earned a good living over many years. I started at the bottom like everyone else so don’t lecture me on the company I keep”

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

theres GOT to be more here than meets the eye.

pat is taking the loss of water charges WAAAAAAY too personally.

he's lost the plot completly the last 2 days. i know he hates the shinners and is DISGUSTED at having to pay USC, but it doesnt explain this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

pat is taking the loss of water charges WAAAAAAY too personally.

I don't think it's the water charges that irks him.

It's the hypocrisy.

Advertisement