Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 31-07-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi
    Getting into biking and looking to buy my first bike, ibt done gear bought and rearing to go.
    Although I'd love a 250 hornet their a bit expensive for a decent one, and insurance on anything else is mental. So im dropping to 125cc.
    So my question is anyone any advice on buying a second hand 125? Looking at the yzf125 at the moment as the aprilia rs125 seems like they need an awful lot of maintenance because their 2 strokes.
    I've read up on what u should be on look for generally but I've been hearing 125's can be risky as some may have been abused
    thanks in advance for any info :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just a few quick questions, How old are you, and what size are you?

If you are shaving at this stage in your life you will prolly outgrow a 125cc in a couple of mths....my advice would be a 250/400cc and you will be alot happier. And they are quite cheap to run and plenty on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boom boom boom

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just a few quick questions, How old are you, and what size are you?

If you are shaving at this stage in your life you will prolly outgrow a 125cc in a couple of mths....my advice would be a 250/400cc and you will be alot happier. And they are quite cheap to run and plenty on the ground.

Just gone 20, and my weight is about 70 kgs and about 6 ft tall. Ideally I'd love a 250 but I'd like something aesthetically pleasing, and hornets are the only thing I can see that I'd get insured on and there a bit out of my price range of about 1200-1400. Seen the 250cbrs but won't get insured on them! So I more or less just decided to go for a 125

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Totally agree with Wonda on this one

Try your best to get 250 minimum as you will get fed up with a 125 very quickly mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carefull now!

Hyosung gt 250? Also known as comet 250, similar shape and size as hornet but cheaper all round.

Hyosung gt 250? Also known as comet 250, similar shape and size as hornet but cheaper all round.

What are they like reliability wise? Haven't heard much about hosing. Have u had any experiences with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

lots of them have bro's 400 engines in them now - read into that what you will hah

At that age you will easily get insured on a 250/300/400cc bike. Especially one with no "R" in the title. I would be looking at a Honda Super Four or the like.....many a good 2nd hand bike knocking around.

Another good bike would be a Honda CB500. Ring up a few insurance companies with imaginary bikes and see what they quote you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

theres two 'r's in super four! :p

Wossack wrote: »
    theres two 'r's in super four! :p

Get the American version

Supa' Phwoa' ;)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    At that age you will easily get insured on a 250/300/400cc bike. Especially one with no "R" in the title. I would be looking at a Honda Super Four or the like.....many a good 2nd hand bike knocking around.

Another good bike would be a Honda CB500. Ring up a few insurance companies with imaginary bikes and see what they quote you.

I've rang up a good few times. They won't really insure me on anything over 250 cc, and also won't let me get a restricted 600!

• Advertisement

I've rang up a good few times. They won't really insure me on anything over 250 cc, and also won't let me get a restricted 600!

Well if you get a factory restricted bike AON will insure you on it, they recognise the factory restriction. Insurance can be pricey for the 1st yeat and then get cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

The yzf r125 is a 4 stroke. Ive had mine over a year and have had no problems with it maintanence wise. But id recommend getting a 250... motorways on a 125 are really no fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mightymouse vs Dangermouse

have a cg 125 last 6 years, so simple to fix, easy to insure, easy to handle, tenner of juice would last you the week. If you have a small mickey and need a bigger bike to make you feel like a man, do that, if not a cg 125 or a cbf 250 are as bog standard, pratical and easy to insure as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

What are they like reliability wise? Haven't heard much about hosing. Have u had any experiences with them

Friend of mine bought one of these as first bike, 2009. I've ridden it a few times, and don't really like it -- didn't feel half as agile compared to my own Ninja. And not as fast either. But it does the job.

He's had problems too with the bike, starting issues -- somewhat his own fault for leaving idle for weeks, but also some fuel line had deriorated. Strange.

Parts are harder to get too. And he met one or two mechanics who just weren't interested in working on this bike because it's a Hyosung.

He never really got into biking in the end and I put half the reason down to the bike itself. He was warned though, by CJHaughey who said it was a "bad bike" when he asked here on boards.

Go for a Ninja or a CB250F (Hornet)...IMO.

Advertisement