Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Fest Sept 15 Dublin

Options
  • 31-07-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

This a long shot but no harm in posting!!!!

As some of you may know; Flight Fest is taking place in Dublin on the 15th September and involves a variety of Aircraft; some very rare (VULCAN) flying quite low up the liffey for display to crowds either side.

Now as its most likely the aircraft will commence their run @ the start of Dublin Port; does anyone know of a good vantage point in the port area which may not be as crowded as the areas each side of the liffey nearer the city centre.

I'll be travelling up from Galway for this as it will be very impressive to see these aircraft @ low level in Dublin.

So, if any of you have any recommendations, i'd welcome them!!!!!!! Also; should anyone hear anything about private boat charters in the port for the event too; I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
    Islanderre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The South Wall in Ringsend.

Extends right out to halfway out the shipping channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Cheers for that advice. ......ill havea look on Google maps....

Its the southern boundary of the shipping channel..... if the planes are coming in from the bay to the city then it should be ideal.

ETA, oops, dunno where the angry face came from.....

[MOD]

'Mad' smiley removed ;)

[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jpb7

islanderre wrote: »
    Evening all,

This a long shot but no harm in posting!!!!

As some of you may know; Flight Fest is taking place in Dublin on the 15th September and involves a variety of Aircraft; some very rare (VULCAN) flying quite low up the liffey for display to crowds either side.

Now as its most likely the aircraft will commence their run @ the start of Dublin Port; does anyone know of a good vantage point in the port area which may not be as crowded as the areas each side of the liffey nearer the city centre.

I'll be travelling up from Galway for this as it will be very impressive to see these aircraft @ low level in Dublin.

So, if any of you have any recommendations, i'd welcome them!!!!!!! Also; should anyone hear anything about private boat charters in the port for the event too; I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
    Islanderre

I copied this from my post on another thread

It would be taking a BIG risk placing yourself at Dublin Airport just in case the uk based aircraft depart from The UK only to be put on a "hold" rather than land at Dublin

The IAA would probably keep tight lipped about the above departures maybe to discourage a mass congregation of Spotters heading to Dublin Airport

Irish Ferries Termal 1..... Alexander Road

If anybody knows Dublin well and has ever traveled by ferry from the Irish Ferries terminal you will know where I'm talking about chances are 1000s of other spotters have though about this too!

Samuel becket bridge for the heading display

All depends how early you get to Dublin East link bridge will be where the aircraft will enter from

Can't help you on the charter boat thing.....but I suspect that any boat movements will be restricted on the day so may not be worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

We have a thread for this in the aviation forum also boats will be getting moved on the day

• Advertisement

Following the thread on A&A forum with great interest andy_g; reason I have opened this thread in the Maritime forum is that some of the posters here may have a more intimate knowledge of the Dublin Port area hence be able to give a recommedation on best place to be for the display.

Thanks all....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Rings end looks like a winner

islanderre wrote: »
    Following the thread on A&A forum with great interest andy_g; reason I have opened this thread in the Maritime forum is that some of the posters here may have a more intimate knowledge of the Dublin Port area hence be able to give a recommedation on best place to be for the display.

Thanks all....

I dont mod here so dont worry :P i just pop over to lurk and see what sea shepherd stuff pops up :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I do know many of the aircraft wont be landing in DUB at all, but will do the circuit from UK fields so the river and bay are the places to be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The South Wall in Ringsend.

Extends right out to halfway out the shipping channel.

What's parking like out there? Thinking of coming to this, with the three kids

• Advertisement

What's parking like out there? Thinking of coming to this, with the three kids

There's a couple of small carparks along the Pigeon House Road, and room for maybe 10 at the start of the GSW, but i suspect there will be cars parked/abandoned the whole way down along the verge for this. You'll have a good bit of walking to do, depending on where you manage to find a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sky.boy

What time is it starting at? Cant find it anywhere!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

2pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

South wall will have a strong wind, so not great if spending a few hours out there. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

I overlaid the flightpath from the video on the flightfest website with a map of dublin to try and figure out the best place to view this from. They stated each aircraft with do two runs, does this mean they will remain at 800ft for the entire loop? If so anywhere on that path should be a good vantage point, right?
    I was also thinking of going down to Dun Laoghaire harbour and viewing from there, what do you think?
    CvUXI6C.jpg

I think I'll stay down along the O2 / point village area. This way I hope the aircraft will be low enough to see and appreciate the size & sound of them.

brasher wrote: »
    I overlaid the flightpath from the video on the flightfest website with a map of dublin to try and figure out the best place to view this from. They stated each aircraft with do two runs, does this mean they will remain at 800ft for the entire loop? If so anywhere on that path should be a good vantage point, right?
    I was also thinking of going down to Dun Laoghaire harbour and viewing from there, what do you think?
    CvUXI6C.jpg

Descending abeam the pigeon house to display alt then from custom house they will climb back to 1700ft routing to dun lairie and starting second run.

Also the overlay is a little wrong as their turning before the harbour not over it

Yeah the overlay is probably off, I just used the promotional video and google maps to try and get a good idea.
    Thanks for the altitude info, definitely help me make a decision on the best place to view.

No worries also slower traffic will be turning earlier for the second run

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭roverdublin

Very disappointing. They do not follow the Liffey.

• Advertisement

I got really lucky, turning right over my head in Rathmines. So much for that overlay! Does anyone have a link to a radio commentary? One of the LiveATC feeds had someone commenting on it, but it's just ATC now, which is not as friendly to listen to.

Really enjoyed the show; I was beside the Samual Beckett bridge and was happy with the view despite the chilly wind almost cutting me!!!!

Hope for something similar in Ireland in the future.

Very disappointing. They do not follow the Liffey.

Due to Airspace restriction's the full liffey could not be used for the flightline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Did anyone else spot the slightly close quarters of the A340 & A380 around DL? I'm *sure* ATC were on top of it, but it was the only time I saw two aircraft in the same area during the day.

I was watching the A380 on one of the live radar sites as it came up over the Irish Sea in a straight line, on course for Dublin Bay. At the same time, the A340 was looping around to the south for another go. It passed over Blackrock & Seapoint and then banked left to go out into the bay. At this stage, the A380 was lining up just a little south of Dun Laoghaire and if nothing changed they would have been a lot closer than is comfortable. Anyhoo, before they got too close, the A380 banked to the right and headed off towards Howth.

I'm *not* saying there was a near miss or anything, but it was strange as going by the patterns from earlier in the day the A380 would have been sent off on a loop somewhere much further south, like Bray, in order to burn time while the A340 finished up. It seemed strange that it got this close (I could see them in the same photo) before changing path.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

From the aviation board...
    urajoke wrote: »
    Red Nissan wrote: »
    the A340 and A380 came within 500ft vertical separation of each other over Dublin Bay.
    They were VFR and visual, normal separation does not apply

Advertisement