Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on Places to rent in Limerick

• 31-07-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I will be moving to limerick from September with my girlfriend, hoping for a two bed house/ apartment.

Just wondering what you think of these areas ie safety/sound proof/parking etc it would be greatly appreciated

We have a fairly tight with a budget of 550/m :

1.Richmond court,Mount Kennett place

2.The Steeples , William st

3.The windmill, dock road

4.Ballantyne, city centre

5.Steamboat quay

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Out of those I'd go with the Windmill. You should look at The Park apartments, Old Windmill Court and Landsdowne Hall too.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Old Windmill Court is nice, very central too (not sure you'll find anything for 550e there, 600-650e was the cheapest I came across) but the people who rent it, M&S property are incompetent. Absolute nightmare to deal with, if you see their name attached to a property - avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

OP, I don't know if corbally is too far out, but this complex is nice: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1336585

Decent location maybe 10 minutes walk from O'Connell street, with parking, bins, and basic cable (about 12 channels) included in the price. Supervalu, chipper, few other shops just 1 minute away.

Just make sure you don't rent a place directly facing the student accomodation across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Imoustache youAquestion

Thanks for the replies lads,

There seems to be quite a few places to stay away from in the city, I suppose the main concern is the safety of my girlfriend.

Fisherman's Quay does look nice ,and not too far out. It might be just that little bit over our budget at the moment but that could change.

Landsdowne Hall also looks nice but is definitely over budget. No parking left at the windmill so that is out of the question :(.

Anyway the search continues!Any more opinions are very welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Your budget max is unfortunate because another 100 a month would open up far more options. Another option could be a basement flat/part of a converted house on O'Connell Ave or a small house in the Wolfe Tone St/Joseph's St. area, all of which will have on-street parking with a permit from the city council.

• Advertisement

your right letsdothis, after a bit of thought I think we would be better off to increase the budget to 600/650 max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

Hi,

I will be moving to limerick from September with my girlfriend, hoping for a two bed house/ apartment.

Just wondering what you think of these areas ie safety/sound proof/parking etc it would be greatly appreciated

We have a fairly tight with a budget of 550/m :

1.Richmond court,Mount Kennett place

2.The Steeples , William st

3.The windmill, dock road

4.Ballantyne, city centre

5.Steamboat quay

thanks

I was warned away from all of those except Ballantyne when I moved into the city, but that was several years ago.

I recommend Howleys & Harveys Quays, or just across on the strands above & below Sarsfield Bridge.

Thanks buckeye, I will try find somewhere affordable there.

Anyone have any idea about the lord Edward street area?

had my eye on one of the park apartments or the surrounding area...

Also Lelia house?and Abbey River court,sheep street? Penthouse apts, Charlettes quay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

when me and boyfriend first out 5 years ago it was into windmill we moved the rent was 850e a month they were fab apartments and I doubt that has changed they have security on there at night so no unwanted vistors can get in we never that any trouble down there and ur just a stone throw from town and the rent there is very reasonable now I think it 550 there going at all you need is your clothes the rest is funerished properly only downside I saw to it was the laudary room was 2washing machines and 3dryers to do about 40 apartments they prob have that changed now tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Also Lelia house?and Abbey River court,sheep street? Penthouse apts, Charlettes quay...

Your enhanced budget would make a house on Joseph st or Wolfe tone st (and the streets in between) a possibility. A good area, mixed residency and good community. The park view apartments in Edward street look well maintained from the outside. There's a couple of separate developments and it's probably worth arranging a viewing and getting a feel for the the place. Same for Charlotte quay...used to be fine but worth a walk around inside. Not familiar with the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

Charlotte quay is a nice area with a mix of people living there.

I have lived in Limerick city centre for almost a year. My advice would be to not go on the asking rent; in my experience it’s very negotiable. I managed to get 100e off the place I am currently renting and work colleagues would have similar experiences. Some really nice places around city centre. As with all city centre renting there will always be incidents that make news but these are few and far between...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

I'd avoid that area if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I lived in the Park Apartments (Lord Edward Street) for a while and loved them. I never had any problems there.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wallack

Hi.

I chose to live in Harveys Quay, in the Riverpoint building and I love it. Nice views, almost new apartments ... I don't like electric heating but I think is common all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 killers85

Hey...Myself and my mate are looking to rent a house/flat close to Castletroy. I am a teacher and want to be close to the m20 to travel to work and he is a mature student starting at UL. Neither of us interested in a student heavy area but he wants to be within decent walking/cycling distance to UL. We are looking to pay approx E600-700 per month.
    Would be extremely grateful if ye could give your opinion on areas to look for/avoid and websites (looking on daft.ie already) that may help.
    Cheers!

Sound for all the replies lads it was a great help,

Gonna go look at a few places during the week anyway and hopefully get a nice place and haggle them down a bit!:D

Advertisement