Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying off AIB mortgage

Options
  • 31-07-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

have 5 yrs to go on aib standard aib mortgage....

if I pay it off will I be subject to a fee?

is there a fee to get your house deeds back

or are there are hidden charges involved in this simple procedure

thks

Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

thks

Paddy

All depends on the type of mortgage and whats in your contract.
    If its tracker or variable, most likely no.
    If its fixed rate, most likely yes there will be a penalty.

If its a tracker rate, see if its more beneficial for you to put it in an high interest instant access account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Scortho wrote: »
    All depends on the type of mortgage and whats in your contract.
    If its tracker or variable, most likely no.
    If its fixed rate, most likely yes there will be a penalty.

If its a tracker rate, see if its more beneficial for you to put it in an high interest instant access account.

Standard variable ... Prob no fee to pay off in full I reckon. Fee for house deeds returned? I wondered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

thks

Paddy

Best advice I can give you is ask AIB these questions.

your correct Great Advice. I wonder if I move from AIB to my credit union who now offer a mortgage redemption loan ....will I lose my TRS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

your correct Great Advice. I wonder if I move from AIB to my credit union who now offer a mortgage redemption loan ....will I lose my TRS?

Yes you'd lose your TRS and the CU rate will be higher than your mtg rate. There's no charge for paying off a variable rate mtg. There may be a small charge to vacate the mortgage deed approx €50/60 but if you can afford to pay it off now you'll save yourself 5 yrs interest on the amount o/s

• Advertisement

killers1 wrote: »
    Yes you'd lose your TRS and the CU rate will be higher than your mtg rate. There's no charge for paying off a variable rate mtg. There may be a small charge to vacate the mortgage deed approx €50/60 but if you can afford to pay it off now you'll save yourself 5 yrs interest on the amount o/s

Why do I lose trs? It's a mortgage redemption. Loan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Why do I lose trs? It's a mortgage redemption. Loan ?

Because you are taking out a new mortgage loan and TRS is no longer available. There is no longer such a thing as a new 'Qualifying Loan'... When you pay off your AIB mortgage the TRS ceases. You can't apply for TRS on the new loan because it's not available on new loans anymore

killers1 wrote: »
    Because you are taking out a new mortgage loan and TRS is no longer available. There is no longer such a thing as a new 'Qualifying Loan'... When you pay off your AIB mortgage the TRS ceases. You can't apply for TRS on the new loan because it's not available on new loans anymore

Your a mountain of information!!! Cheers

One other!!! Have this mortgage over 4 yrs. I think trs only lasts 7!?

If so , can you see any pit falls in paying off my mortgage with aib.

Funding that by a credit union loan? Present standard rate aib is 4.4%
    Credit union offering 4.25 and unlikely to raise rates ... Not sure about aib intentions in this regard !!( will not be lowering away!)

I lose whatever I have on trs.... Credit union tell me no need for life cover as its included in the credit union loans .... I pay 145 a year for this .... Not having to pay that puts me well ahead .... Even taking into account the very small trs I get anyway .... I can't see any pit falls ..... Can anyone else!!!?

Many thanks

Paddy

Addittional I see this on googke re trs..

If you took out a mortgage between 1 January 2004 and 31 December 2011,your entitlement to relief will continue until the end of 2017. (After the first 7 years you will be no longer classed as a first time buyer)

This would seem to apply to me as I bought my house owner occupier around 2008. It seems I am entitled to trs till 2017... I have Mortgage around 35k and get about 15 euro a month ... It's a nice bit!

Advertisement