Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIP- Should I develop this further?

• 31-07-2013 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

This is an AI / pathfinding demo that I did for college, right now you run the program and it plays through effectively a cut scene of the fighter squadron navigating through the randomly floating asteroids and avoiding them as they go till they get to the space station where there are a squadron of enemies attacking it.

It's very basic however and there would be a significant amount of work involved in developing new state based logic to govern enemies/ squad mates etc. as well as controls, menu, particles, sound not to mention levels etc.

Just wondering if this seems like something that I should keep at? I hope to be getting a full time job soon and wonder if I should bother if I just have to can it again half finished if I get a job. Also, I put a fair bit of effort into creating the art assets and I feel it would be a shame for it to go to waste!

The aim eventually would be to have something like an old school wing commander game or x-wing/ rogue squadron. Along those lines anyway.

Feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Cool man looks nice, what did you make it with? I would say if you aren't sure whether you should pursue it further you should look at how it will benefit you. If you want a job programming AI for games then keep on trucking. If you want a job making iOS apps try and get it running on an iphone etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭shnburn

Nice art work looks like my kind of game id keep it up an try finnish it would be worth the work and if your asked for any proof of your work when going for a job it would be worth trying to get it finnished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Cheers! Thanks for the feedback.

Dan: I used blender for the ships and zbrush to make the asteroids, and the game is coded in XNA (code is on github here if you want to check it out!), which is the reason I am considering starting something new from scratch. Since XNA is now RIP I figured I should get back into c++, possibly via OpenGl for cross platform considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yeah I thought it looked XNA-ish :D I wouldn't take it any further in XNA, but certainly consider porting it to 'droid or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

One of the most important things to display in any portfolio is a finished game, and unfortunately, one of the hardest things to do is finish a game :) Most developers are happy enough to start a new project and begin with gusto, but when it comes to chasing down nasty bugs and working on the elements that no longer interest you, thats where you show your strength of dedication to the craft.

To be honest, even if you hire someone to do the parts you don't like, its massively beneficial to have a finished product that you can fire up for potential employers to play around with. I would recommend you do as much as you can unless you feel strongly about completing another project

• Advertisement
Advertisement