Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caging a dog while guests are over

• 31-07-2013 7:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

my bulldog is a little disobedient and loves being the centre of attention , I love his personality but some people do not care for an over hyper dog

my question is this , I have relatives coming to my house this weekend and was thinking of putting him in his cage ( which I never use ) for a few hours , is that cruel ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

If he is not used to his cage at all and I suspect since you say you never use it that he might not be, then I would say it will be a very stressful and unfair experience for him.

If he is however used to his cage and doesn't mind going in there and chewing on a kong or something and is relaxed and happy, then it's not a problem as long as it really is just a few hours and not all day or anything!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 ugly_mug

hes a dog I got as an adult ( not a pup ) only three months ago , he,s toiled trained so I only used the cage for the trip home in the car , I bought him a kong but he doesn't bother with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

ugly_mug wrote: »
    hes a dog I got as an adult ( not a pup ) only three months ago , he,s toiled trained so I only used the cage for the trip home in the car , I bought him a kong but he doesn't bother with it

If he's not used to his crate (I hate the word cage) then I wouldn't put him in it first time out as it will 'probably' stress and confuse him.

On a side note - this is just another great reason to crate train a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I certainly would not put my pet in to a cage because of visitors. Can you not put him in a different room and close the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

How big is the cage, is it possible to put the visitors in it instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Could you give him a good walk before they come over and then another room he'll sleep most of the time. The crate is great for these visits, be lost without ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

we have 3 boys who just think every one wants to pet them. we dont like putting them away when visitors come over cos at the end of the day its their house and why should they be confined to a room when generally they have the freedom to roam around the house

so what we do is warn people when you come in, ignore them, definitely do not pet them (once you start they wont let you stop) this probably sounds bad that we tell people to ignore our dogs but it works for us and beats having to put them in a crate or room locked in, the dogs will have a sniff and look for the attention and when they realise they are not getting it they just go about their business as if there is nothing different going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I would not crate my dogs for any visitors. they do get a bit excited, they love visitors, they love to say hello, they just want a quick belly rub then they go away. Only genuine pet lovers set foot into my house and thats the way I like it. I just have no time for those who don't like animals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, the op is a serial troll and has been banned.
    Closing thread now.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement