Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxee Box and Netflix Ireland.

• 31-07-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Is there an easy way to connect a Boxee Box to Netflix Ireland for the relatively non-techie person?

Any help greatly appreciated....Breaking Bad starts soon....!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Not without paying for a decent VPN connection unfortunately :(

There's always Apple TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Wish I knew that before buying the Boxee! Funny thing (I.e. not funny!) was I was told the Boxee was the better media player before I bought it, no-one mentioned no Netflix. In fact the way they talked about it it seemed like you just typed the name of a programme and viola, up it popped on screen - slight exaggeration but you get the point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Wish I knew that before buying the Boxee! Funny thing (I.e. not funny!) was I was told the Boxee was the better media player before I bought it, no-one mentioned no Netflix. In fact the way they talked about it it seemed like you just typed the name of a programme and viola, up it popped on screen - slight exaggeration but you get the point!

boxee was purchased by Samsung. Its likely that in time your box will only work as a media player for items on your hard drive.

banquo wrote: »
    Not without paying for a decent VPN connection unfortunately :(

There's always Apple TV?
    Thanks banquo......quickie, do you know if I were to buy an Apple TV in the UK will that work here for Irish Netflix or is it geo-locked? Prob really silly question but just want to know - better safe than sorry!

It's all good! You can buy an Apple TV anywhere in the world, bring it to Ireland and it will play Irish Netflix.

I love my Boxee. Completely abandoned by the team that created it, it had such potential at the time I thought. We still use it daily, there's no better family device for playing your local content imo. And it's gorgeous.

But, it's completely unsupported, the Boxee forums are closing, and Samsung have bought it - presumably for the content deals and maybe to have someone who knows how to develop a UI that doesn't look like it was described to the developer by an idiot manager down the telephone.

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    It's all good! You can buy an Apple TV anywhere in the world, bring it to Ireland and it will play Irish Netflix.

I love my Boxee. Completely abandoned by the team that created it, it had such potential at the time I thought. We still use it daily, there's no better family device for playing your local content imo. And it's gorgeous.

But, it's completely unsupported, the Boxee forums are closing, and Samsung have bought it - presumably for the content deals and maybe to have someone who knows how to develop a UI that doesn't look like it was described to the developer by an idiot manager down the telephone.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I get the feeling that I'm under utilising my Boxee alright but not getting much help from the interweb on what exactly I can use it for as everything I try fails, to the point where i've pretty much given up trying tomdo anything bar play files through it. Any suggestions on things to add/do to it before info completely vanishes?

And any benefit of having a boxee and an Apple TV?

Also I assume reading between the lines that even if I were to get an unblockus account eventually that loophole will close so I'd have to buy the Apple TV anyway?

Google "Naxi-X Boxee Box". That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Could be some life in it yet, Xbmc looking a possibility.

http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41

Anyone having difficulty with navi-x? Mine hasn't loaded for 2 weeks now on 2 dufferentvrpositories. Any ideas/fixes?

Anyone having difficulty with navi-x? Mine hasn't loaded for 2 weeks now on 2 dufferentvrpositories. Any ideas/fixes?

If you are willing to load an unstable version of Xbmc on the box, you can add navi x on it. Used it last night on Xbmc and had no issues watching it.

• Advertisement

If you are willing to load an unstable version of Xbmc on the box, you can add navi x on it. Used it last night on Xbmc and had no issues watching it.

Yup, willing to try anything! How does one go about installing xbmc? I thought Boxee wasn't compatible with xbmc? Prob why you listed it as unstable I assume?!

Note: Before installing xbmc you need to have previously installed the latest version of BOXEE+HACKS from boxeed.in

Find BOXEE+HACKS installation instructions at http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3

==============================================================

[1] Get the latest version of XBMC for Boxee from http://devil-strike.com/
    - Unpack the zip file and copy the xbmc folder onto a usbstick or sdcard
    - Plug usb/sd into boxee

[2] Telnet into your boxeebox.
    - You will need your boxee's IP address. Go into Settings / Network / Network and write down the IP address displayed there.

- Go to your cmd line / terminal and run telnet.
    telnet <YOUR_BOXEE'S_IP> 2323

The default password is "secret"

[3] Find the path to your usbstick or sdcard.
    - Do you know the name / label of your USB Stick / SD Card? If you recently installed BOXEE+HACKS with the same card, it's probably BOXEE.

[a] YES :) - Your path will be "/media/<LABEL>/xmbc" where <LABEL> is probably BOXEE

NO :( - Enter "df" and you will see a list of all mount points. Look for one that begins with /dev/sda (followed by a number, usually 1)

e.g. /dev/sda1 15609952 166808 15443144 1% /tmp/mnt/1D6F-1BFB

- The actual mount point will be on the far right (mine was /tmp/mnt/1D6F-1BFB).
    Your path will be the mount point + "/xmbc"

e.g. "/tmp/mnt/1D6F-1BFB/xbmc"

[4] Shutdown all boxee processes by typing the following:

/etc/rc3.d/U99boxee stop
    killall run_boxee.sh
    killall Boxee
    /etc/rc3.d/U94boxeehal stop
    killall BoxeeHal

[5] Start XMBC!
    - Type:
    cd <YOUR_PATH_FROM_STEP_3_ABOVE>

- To start xbmc:
    GCONV_PATH=$PWD/gconv AE_ENGINE=active PYTHONPATH=$PWD/python2.7:$PWD/python2.7/lib-dynload XBMC_HOME=$PWD ./xbmc.bin

- To start xbmc in background:
    GCONV_PATH=$PWD/gconv AE_ENGINE=active PYTHONPATH=$PWD/python2.7:$PWD/python2.7/lib-dynload XBMC_HOME=$PWD ./xbmc.bin &

- To start xbmc in portable mode(all setttings wil saved in xbmc folder on usbstick/sdcard)
    GCONV_PATH=$PWD/gconv AE_ENGINE=active PYTHONPATH=$PWD/python2.7:$PWD/python2.7/lib-dynload XBMC_HOME=$PWD ./xbmc.bin -p

- To start xbmc in portable mode and in background(all setttings wil saved in xbmc folder on usbstick/sdcard)
    GCONV_PATH=$PWD/gconv AE_ENGINE=active PYTHONPATH=$PWD/python2.7:$PWD/python2.7/lib-dynload XBMC_HOME=$PWD ./xbmc.bin -p &

[6] That's it!

==============================================================

- If you want to go back to boxee just reboot the boxeebox.

- Please report bugs to:
    https://github.com/quarnster/boxeebox-xbmc/issues?state=open

- Forums:
    http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=41

- For now is always recommended to delete the hidden .xbmc(in normal start mode) folder so that no old settings will stay there.
    In portable mode just delete xbmc folder from usbstick/sdcard and copy new version.

@Eraxar - ditto.

This one is nice indeed.

Added this at last.

- Credits:
    quarnster - Who made this al possible to run xbmc on boxeebox.
    Xbmc - The XBMC Team
    Boxeed.in cigamit - For use of his forum and hacks.
    Devil-Strike.com devilstrike - For hosting and compiling nightly builds.
    kaymc - For making readable readme.
    And offcourse al the testers.

Thats the instructions to get it installed, here is the thread on xbmc http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=41

Obviously not totally stable at the minute but if they keep it going and iron everything out I will be dumping the Boxee interface for the Xbmc, could be the option of a dual boot but doubtful I will use it. I have watched a couple of videos on it noticed no real problems on it except weird sound connected through hdmi through tv speakers, was fine using surround sound. Installed navi x as plugin and it was like been on speed compared to Boxee version, looks like they might have installer version soon to use usb/sd card.

Anyone having trouble with their boxee box and navi x right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Anyone having trouble with their boxee box and navi x right now?

Navi-x is down for everyone. They are moving servers.

Advertisement