Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sold for below our offer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Carlowgirl wrote: »
    We never met the couple only dealt with EA.

Did you ever ask the EA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

We never met the couple only dealt with EA.

Did you ever ask to meet the sellers? I know most things would go through the EA but if I was that serious about buying a place, I'd ask to meet the current owners if even just to ask some of the stupid small questions the EA wouldn't know (what are the bills for heating/electricity generally like? Are there particular rooms that are roasting at certain points of the day? Does the grass need cutting often or does it take a while to grow?). Also it allows the sellers to put a face to the offer - that it's not just a faceless amount of money but "ah sure that's Carlowgirl & her partner - they were nice" kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

However- it was cash- and the other offers were subject to mortgage approvals etc. The OP had to go back to the bank for reapproval, albeit for a very small amount- this would be enough to scare the beejesus out of most sellers. 50k or not- the fact that it was cold hard cash into their hands- is a mighty powerful persuader........

I think most people would wait it out for the sake of making an extra €50k in fairness. Its not small change that we are talking about.

Plus from what I can make out the OP had mortgage approval for a few grand less than the asking price, so if they were worried about money they would have accepted the OPs initial offer of just below asking, not a cash offer of €50k less.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Of course, we dont know the actual figures involved, so its all just speculation. For all we know, the asking price was utter nonsense and the cash offer was still above market value, which is why the sellers were happy to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Did you ever ask to meet the sellers? I know most things would go through the EA but if I was that serious about buying a place, I'd ask to meet the current owners if even just to ask some of the stupid small questions the EA wouldn't know (what are the bills for heating/electricity generally like? Are there particular rooms that are roasting at certain points of the day? Does the grass need cutting often or does it take a while to grow?). Also it allows the sellers to put a face to the offer - that it's not just a faceless amount of money but "ah sure that's Carlowgirl & her partner - they were nice" kinda thing.

Nonsense, I'd never want to meet the sellers, buying and selling is about leaving emotions at the door, if you meet them you may be more inclined not to be so hard about your offer, especially if they're in financial difficulty. The above is more in line with what you'd do if you were renting a place.

Nothing wrong with being faceless and regardless, no one is going to knock 50 grand off the price because you were nice.

Only time this happens is if it's to a family member or to a friend, they'll get preferential treatment, some couple who you've known for a couple of weeks not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I've never met or wanted to meet anyone who bought a property from me, and if a buyer asked me some of those questions I'd be wierded out and not take their offer seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

an EA is unlikely to let you cut them out of the process by putting you in touch with the sellers and if the Sellers wanted to met buyers they wouldn't have hired the EA in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Carlowgirl

pippip wrote: »
    Did you ever ask the EA?

Yes firstly he tried to deny that the house was sold and secondly I rang him left a message to discuss it.. no reply . Very cloak and dagger !

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

It sounds odd but you don't know the sellers circumstances. Also the house may have some structural problems that you don't know about.
    The banks will look at the house but not do a full survey. The banks will only lend a certain amount so if a survey shows problems you need your own cash to pay for these to be sorted out.

From what you have told us this house was not the house for you.
    If you want a rural house they are still falling in value. Today's so called bargain could end up being a very expensive mistake for you.
    My advice to you is keep looking for a house when you have full mortgage approval and pay for a full survey on the house. Also if you know some one local in the area ask them about the house.
    Also contact the local council offices and find out the plans for the area.
    If some one has a house with structural problems or know that there is a road/factory ect being build near them they may be glad to take a hit on the price before they spend more money or are trying to sell a place with a factory next door.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes firstly he tried to deny that the house was sold and secondly I rang him left a message to discuss it.. no reply . Very cloak and dagger !

Time to forget it and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Could have been sold to a family member. This could be to trick the bank or just the way the family decided an inheritance split

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Could have been sold to a family member. This could be to trick the bank or just the way the family decided an inheritance split

Plausible.
    Often if a few siblings are left a property- its put on the open market to determine fair market value- and they agree among themselves to allow one (or more) to buy out the others in cash, at a discount on the OMSP.

Far from unusual.

Who knows though. Its time to move on, one way or the other.

Plausible.
    Often if a few siblings are left a property- its put on the open market to determine fair market value- and they agree among themselves to allow one (or more) to buy out the others in cash, at a discount on the OMSP.

Far from unusual.

Who knows though. Its time to move on, one way or the other.

ya ive moved on from it now was just wondering if anyone would know why.. the new owners are definitely not related and definitely not friends.. for the record... Someone asked the price of the house. I stated above that the price drop was 25 % approx.

Its always worth remembering that the EA doesn't work for you and is under no obligation to explain or discuss anything (and has very little reason to) to do with a clients property or sale once its been agreed. The EA's duties lie with the seller not the buyer so even if you believe the EA has your best interests at heart they don't!

i nearly died when i saw the property price register.. it stated that the house sold for 43k below our offer (without the extra 5 k) so basically 48 k below what we were going to giv

Is this all based on the price you saw in the Property Price Register?

As someone already mentioned, prices in the PPR are not always the full sale price:

† - Denotes Price is Ex. VAT
    * - Denotes Not Full Market Price

Is this all based on the price you saw in the Property Price Register?

As someone already mentioned, prices in the PPR are not always the full sale price:

† - Denotes Price is Ex. VAT
    * - Denotes Not Full Market Price

I must check it again.. I thought not full market price meant not the asking price or can you clarify what it does mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I must check it again.. I thought not full market price meant not the asking price or can you clarify what it does mean ?

Definition from register website:

Prices Given Not Full Market Price

In a small number of transactions included in the Register the price shown does not represent the full market price of the property concerned for a variety of reasons. For example, the price declared may reflect the retention of an interest in the property by the previous owner, or the fact that a part or fraction only of the property is being purchased; alternatively, the property may have been purchased at a reduced price under the Affordable Homes Scheme. In addition, in a very small number of cases, properties may be declared as purchased in exchange for other property, stocks and shares, etc. All such properties are marked **.

pippip wrote: »
    Definition from register website:

Prices Given Not Full Market Price

In a small number of transactions included in the Register the price shown does not represent the full market price of the property concerned for a variety of reasons. For example, the price declared may reflect the retention of an interest in the property by the previous owner, or the fact that a part or fraction only of the property is being purchased; alternatively, the property may have been purchased at a reduced price under the Affordable Homes Scheme. In addition, in a very small number of cases, properties may be declared as purchased in exchange for other property, stocks and shares, etc. All such properties are marked **.

reflect the retention of an interest in the property by the previous ownerWhat does this mean. Thanks for your reply?

reflect the retention of an interest in the property by the previous ownerWhat does this mean. Thanks for your reply?

Just for the record I checked the property register and it is inclusive of vat and full market price.. ! It pains me to see it:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

bigroad wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the estate agent sold the house to his mate.He just tried to fob you off.I would be surprised if the house owner ever heard about your offer.I f you come accross another house ,try to deal direct with the owner.Estate agents are not to be trusted.

Something similar happened to a friend.

Ive heard a tip:

All of your offers are to be in writing so you can prove you made the offer of X amount.

You can request the EA gives you all their offers in writing also.

• Advertisement

uberalles wrote: »
    Something similar happened to a friend.

Ive heard a tip:

All of your offers are to be in writing so you can prove you made the offer of X amount.

You can request the EA gives you all their offers in writing also.

Whats to stop them making up offers tho? is it the buyer or the seller can ask to see them in writing? What about confidentiality ?

From a legal perspective written offers are a potential minefield so both buyers and sellers are usually advised to avoid them.

Advertisement