Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Irish Passport from UK

Options
  • 31-07-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before. I am currently living in Scotland, and I lost my passport some time within the last 2 months and need a new one asap for a work trip to Italy. I went through the usual steps, reported it lost to the police and the embassy and got the embassy to send me renewal forms. On the passport website they say the processing times are 6 - 8 weeks which unfortunately is no use to me.

I am wondering if anybody knows if there is an express service from within the UK to fast track the passports. When I called the embassy, they said I might be able to do it through a Post Office in Glasgow on Francis St, (or maybe it was Vincent's St??). But I cant find any info online about this and was just wondering if anybody can help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I found the following on the DFA website but can't find any reference anywhere on the Post Office or Royal MAil websites. I wonder if it's even still current - the list seems ot be dated 16 Nov 2007.

In the past, I got great service from the people in Knightsbridge but it's all moved now and with biometrics etc, I'm not even sure if they're printed in the UK. Annoyingly, I'll be up for renewal again soon.

http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/Passport_documents/copy%20of%20nipx%20list%2016%20nov%2007%20for%20website.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Lawlesz wrote: »
    Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before. I am currently living in Scotland, and I lost my passport some time within the last 2 months and need a new one asap for a work trip to Italy. I went through the usual steps, reported it lost to the police and the embassy and got the embassy to send me renewal forms. On the passport website they say the processing times are 6 - 8 weeks which unfortunately is no use to me.

I am wondering if anybody knows if there is an express service from within the UK to fast track the passports. When I called the embassy, they said I might be able to do it through a Post Office in Glasgow on Francis St, (or maybe it was Vincent's St??). But I cant find any info online about this and was just wondering if anybody can help me?

You could always head to the consulate in Edinburgh, they'd have the best advice for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Girlfriend had some awful trouble with this a few years ago. There didn't seem to be any way to fast-track it bar heading back to Ireland on a ferry. Good luck though, hopefully things have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jessietobs

Any luck with this Lawlesz?

My bag was stolen friday in a bar in london - had my passport in it - i have booked to go to Australia on wednesday of next week - need to head to the embassy in London tomorrow morning and plead.

Does anyone know if I have any hope at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

We renewed our passports with the embassy during the time when the passport office were on strike. We had our passports within ten days. They were biometric passports too.

Some people suggest that if you can show proof of travel to the embassy you can ask for the process to be expedited. However, if it doesn't work then you are down the price of a flight and won't get a refund! :(

We very recently had our daughter's passport renewed and the passport office called our witness and asked about how she knew us, what her position was in the school she worked in, was she there when we signed the forms and did she actually see us signing the forms!! That may have been because her first passport had a photo of her as a six week old and the new passport was of a 3 year old girl who looks very different :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

jessietobs wrote: »
    Any luck with this Lawlesz?

My bag was stolen friday in a bar in london - had my passport in it - i have booked to go to Australia on wednesday of next week - need to head to the embassy in London tomorrow morning and plead.

Does anyone know if I have any hope at all?
    Bring all your documents and they should sort you out in a day or two, and report it to the police and get a copy of the report

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Bring all your documents and they should sort you out in a day or two, and report it to the police and get a copy of the report

Was this since the introduction of biometrics? I've had very fast, very convenient turnarounds before their introduction but I thought they didn't have the equipment in London to produce them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shadeyady

Hi I sent my passport renewal form off to irish embassy London on the 7/06/14.They received it on the09/06/14.online tracking says it was received on the12/06/14.Tracking is at the received stage and has not changed. I was told turnaround is 8 weeks.It only took 10 days last time and that was my first passport. STRANGE. I'M going on holiday on 24/08/14 so hopefully I have it by then . hopefully all is in order with my rewenal application ie mistakes etc.Next time I'm going to renew 6 months in advance.

Advertisement