Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chainsaw won't start

• 31-07-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭

Howye folks
    I'm After cleanin out the oiler on the chainsaw and puttin the clutch drum back on etc etc but now the thing won't start - doesn't sound like there's any spark at all in it if you know what I mean.
    I stuffed rope into the cylinder so I could take off the clutch drum - would this have any effect. It seemed to come back out no problem (and intact). I couldn't pull the starter cord out for the first few times but it works fine now but still no starting "bite". Spark plug seems fine.
    Saw is a Husqvarna 440e.
    If anyone is in the know I'd be be very grateful for any troubleshooting tips (the dealers/"mechanics" around me aren't great so will be a last resort :().
    Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Pmmed you a link to a trouble shooter guide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Couple of tips for a petrol engine that has been idle for a while;
    1. Take out the spark plug.
    2. Clean the carbon off the metal gap at the bottom of the spark plug with sand paper.
    3. Put the spark plug in a hot oven for half an hour.
    4. Using a syringe inject about 1-2 cc of petrol+ 2 troke straight into the cylinder through the spark plug hole
    5. Replace the spark plug while it is still hot
    6. Start her up.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

1 Have you got a spark? Check that the mechanism for earthing the spark to the engine's cylinder (the off switch) has not got bent and is continually touching the metal parts of the saw.

Then,

2 Take out the plug out from the cylinder and then reattach it to the plug lead. Using a pair of insulated pliers, hold the electrode of the plug to the metal top of the cylinder with one hand, and slowly pull the starter cord with the other. Is there a spark at the plug? Keep you head away from the spark plug hole, in case the spark ignites unburnt fuel in the cylinder.

If there is no spark, try this again with a plug you know to be good.
    Put in a good plug,

You say you could not pull the starter cord easily after removing the rope from the cylinder. could a piece of rope have got stuck in the exhaust/inlet port? If so, you might have to pull off the carb. and exhaust to check.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

Pmmed you a link to a trouble shooter guide.

Thanks for that, I see there was a comment in there about rubbish in the clutch as a possible cause so I'm going to take that off again & see did I leave something in there that I shouldn't have :eek:

blue5000 wrote: »
    Couple of tips for a petrol engine that has been idle for a while;
    1. Take out the spark plug.
    2. Clean the carbon off the metal gap at the bottom of the spark plug with sand paper.
    3. Put the spark plug in a hot oven for half an hour.
    4. Using a syringe inject about 1-2 cc of petrol+ 2 troke straight into the cylinder through the spark plug hole
    5. Replace the spark plug while it is still hot
    6. Start her up.
    Thanks again - the saw was being used right upto the time I took off the clutch. The chain was constantly coming loose, that was why I cleaned the oiler in case it was causing the problem.
    1 Have you got a spark? Check that the mechanism for earthing the spark to the engine's cylinder (the off switch) has not got bent and is continually touching the metal parts of the saw.

Then,

2 Take out the plug out from the cylinder and then reattach it to the plug lead. Using a pair of insulated pliers, hold the electrode of the plug to the metal top of the cylinder with one hand, and slowly pull the starter cord with the other. Is there a spark at the plug? Keep you head away from the spark plug hole, in case the spark ignites unburnt fuel in the cylinder.

If there is no spark, try this again with a plug you know to be good.
    Put in a good plug,

You say you could not pull the starter cord easily after removing the rope from the cylinder. could a piece of rope have got stuck in the exhaust/inlet port? If so, you might have to pull off the carb. and exhaust to check.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks iver - I'm getting a new plug today to see if that's the problem. I'm pretty sure the rope came out intact (I had the end melted into a lump so there'd be no wisps) but it sure seems to have done something to the saw - it used to start 1st time every time before this :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qNoEoWRejs

Hi there, this guy has some useful info in his past videos, worth a browse when you have time.

• Advertisement

Just a word of thanks for all the posts folks, got her goin again in the end.
    Tried the new plug but it wasn't that, so took off the clutch again & I think I had 2 of the oiler components in the wrong (re-assembling) order, so fixed that (doubt it made any difference, no?).
    Then when putting the clutch back on I pulled out the starter cord & let it back gently while tightening the clutch - a tip picked up on some of the forums & vids provided above. Filled the tank & took a good few pulls again but this time you could hear it sparking & eventually she came back to life.

Ran it for a while & the chain is still coming loose too easily - which was the whole reason for me pulling the saw apart in the 1st place :-(
    I feel like I've tried everything on this one...anyone ever have a similar problem?
    Cheers.

if its a brand new chain, it Will stretch a bit ant need adjusting a few times. Otherwise would the threat.on the adjusting screw be stripped? also it is good practice to rest the tip of the bar on a piece of wood before you tighten the two side bolts . if you tighten the up with the bar "hanging" it Will loosen in work as the bar rotates up slightly when height goes on it when cutting.

if its a brand new chain, it Will stretch a bit ant need adjusting a few times. Otherwise would the threat.on the adjusting screw be stripped? also it is good practice to rest the tip of the bar on a piece of wood before you tighten the two side bolts . if you tighten the up with the bar "hanging" it Will loosen in work as the bar rotates up slightly when height goes on it when cutting.

The saw is one of those "toolless" versions :mad: - so its a plastic fitting. I think that might be the basic problem, i.e. there's only one tightening point. It was coming loose on the old chain too so I sprung for a heavier bar and chain, but it's the same issue. I'll try that trick with the piece of wood - thanks for that.
    (http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=husqvarna+440e&hl=en&biw=963&bih=543&tbm=isch&tbnid=JXJ3qcXsy0hdfM:&imgrefurl=http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/440-e-series/&docid=1lNS6U4gghZJjM&imgurl=http://cdn.husqvarna.com/dimage.axd/featureJpeg/h125-0057/850x538/7d1a3af7.jpg&w=717&h=538&ei=MlgHUtOIM8Wd0AXX_IHIDw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=156&page=1&tbnh=123&tbnw=173&start=0&ndsp=14&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:83&tx=83&ty=51)

Advertisement