Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Night.

• 31-07-2013 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

So tonight could well be the last night we have with our puppy Herman. Herman is a 10 year old boxer who bounded into our lives Jan 1st 2003, he has eaten us out of house and home, tried to eat the home! Welcomed 3 kids and given me more fun and joy than I have ever had with any pet. For a big dog he is so gentle, he has never once snapped or growled at the wrong person, only door to door sales people got the big bad barking dog treatment, but he probably though someone was coming to play with him. He had cancer at 1 year old and beat it.

He was diagnosied with artrititis in his spine, and over the last few months he has lost control of his bladder functions. No more does he bark at the door bell. He walks along near the wall so he can keep himself upright. He is no longer the dog who used to stick his head under the duvet in the morning looking for someone to play with.

so tonight I am going to just sit with him, pet him and let a few tears flow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Just as a matter of interest why do you think it will be his last night?. Do you think he is in pain?, have you seen a vet?. Is he eating? Main thing is he is comfortable?.
    Sorry to be curious but I recently had to say goodbye to my lovely Springer of 15 years only 2 weeks ago and I know hard it is to let them go.
    I wish you the best, he looks a gorgeous dog:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Poor old baby, so sorry to hear it. It's awful to let them go, and would that all dogs should go with a bit of dignity in the love and warmth of their family. Best to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Just as a matter of interest why do you think it will be his last night?. Do you think he is in pain?, have you seen a vet?. Is he eating? Main thing is he is comfortable?.
    Sorry to be curious but I recently had to say goodbye to my lovely Springer of 15 years only 2 weeks ago and I know hard it is to let them go.
    I wish you the best, he looks a gorgeous dog:)

He is uncomfortable and has very poor quality of life. I need to lift him when he has been lying down as he can not get up. You know you own dog and Herman is not himself and hasn't been for a while, we have seen he decline on a daily basis over the last while.

Sorry to hear about your Springer, I have had to send a dog away before and it is heart breaking.

He is a gorgeous dog, so friendly as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Big hugs, I spent the last evening with one of my girls the week before Christmas.
    I took loads of photos and gave her loads of hugs.
    The next day she took her last walk to the vets :(

It's heartbreaking x

He is uncomfortable and has very poor quality of life. I need to lift him when he has been lying down as he can not get up. You know you own dog and Herman is not himself and hasn't been for a while, we have seen he decline on a daily basis over the last while.

Sorry to hear about your Springer, I have had to send a dog away before and it is heart breaking.

He is a gorgeous dog, so friendly as well.

Ok ,I understand, we had the very same issue with our doggie on and off but there was always one of us around so we knew he wouldn't be stranded. At the same time once he was up and about he could trot around, however in the last couple of days he got progressively weaker and started showing signs of distress so we knew what the kindest thing to do.
    I think all dog owners will know when its time to let go and make sure you're always with them at the end.
    Best wishes to you and the lovely Herman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Im so sorry to hear of your last night with your love blaster Herman. He won't know a thing ; just that he is bombarded with love & affection by his fabulous family with whom he has had a wonderful & happy life with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Hey,

Firstly I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful doggie. I can relate to your pain. I had to say goodbye to my beloved Boxer Mitsy just before Christmas and it crumbled my world. She was 8 and developed lung cancer. You sound like a great owner and your dog is lucky to have you. Whatever happens, just be there for your friend. It will make it easier. I honestly thought I would never get over Mitsy but time is a healer and now I have 2 more Boxers. Thinking of you OP, it's heartbreaking but just do what is best for your dog, I'm sure if he could.. he would thank you.

Take care :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Brings back all the memories of our own losses.
    God, how it hurts.

Glad Herman had a good life ; so many don't.

I once imagined that my dogs are all out there, and that when my time comes I'll see them all again. That'd be heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Thank your lucky stars you got to spend that last night with him.
    My boxer of 7 years Vegas.
    Passed away on us the day before her big operation while I was out working.
    Biggest regret of my life is going to work that night. X

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Its heart breaking to loose a dog after having him so long.

We had to put our dog Scooby to sleep two years ago and it was awful. It was like loosing a family member. I never thought I would be so sad over an animal. He was a brilliant dog too.

Don`t let him suffer. Its best to have him put to sleep.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the words of comfort.

There might be light at the end after all, he is staying over night and the vet is thinking there might be a problem he may be able to help with.

I have now found God...

Fingers crossed for Herman, hope he pulls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

When the time comes, it's very tough. Just like a previous poster here said... 'it's like losing a family member' I cannot agree more. I know what it's like, My old dog zenno a while back lived a full life and was very old but her time had come, her name still travels the internet widely as a remembrance to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Fingers crossed for you. Got to a similar stage with our boxer few years back, her legs kept going from under her, was heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Can't really say much else apart from I hope Herman pulls through and you share many more happy memories. He knows he is loved, he will know that till the end, whenever that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

oh I hope he is okay, that picture broke my hear.
    I have 3 boys but they are only 2.5 yrs old and I dread the thought of any of them getting old

I really hope the vet can do something for him

Well I got the call today, we are all heartbroken. He had a tumour on his liver. Vet said there was very little they could do, he would have died on the table. My poor boy could not even walk.

Thank you for all the blessings and comments, Herman is now at peace, missed but at peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Well I got the call today, we are all heartbroken. He had a tumour on his liver. Vet said there was very little they could do, he would have died on the table. My poor boy could not even walk.

Thank you for all the blessings and comments, Herman is now at peace, missed but at peace.

Herman is now at peace but there will always be a piece in your heart especially for him. My thoughts are with you, hard times but it will get easier, eventually.

Again, thanks to everyone. This is the second time I have had a dog go from Liver problems, it doesn't get any easier, in-fact it is harder. The house this morning is so quite, not been woken by the bedroom door burst open and big wet nose stuck in my face. We agreed to wait a while before taking about getting another dog, When I got up this morning, my wife was doing what I had been doing, looking a Boxers on the web. This house needs a dog, Herman will always be #1 dog to me, but we need the madness that a dog brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I'm sure Vegas & Herman are having a ball over at rainbow bridge. Best of buds

• Advertisement

So 1 week on and Herman is still missed, very much so. However, our house did not feel like a home without him, so we decided to get another Dog, we now have an 8 month old Boxer called Kofi. The kids love him, I love him and most important my wife loves him. Kofi is not replacement for Herman, as no dog could replace the love, fun and memories we had. We will make new memories with Kofi.

Herman will always be missed, we still shed a tear thinking about him. Hopefully anyone who is going through or will go through what we have will see that things will get easier and getting another dog is not a bad thing to do, you could never replace an old friend, just make new ones.

And thanks to everyone here, you have all helped us through a horrible time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Fair play to ya, it sounds like Kofi has landed on his paws ;) It's been 3 weeks since i lost Beanie and I've already started looking for another kitty too.

A home is not a home without a pet...:pac:

I'm looking into cat fostering at the minute, as after fostering Zaffy (dog) I realised there are so many animals out there who need a bit of temporary help/reassurance or nurturing to get them on the right path to their forever home. I realised if i can handle the challenges Zaffy brought me I can handle a lot :p

Advertisement