Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living on Wexford Street

Options
  • 31-07-2013 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

I am looking to move to Dublin City, don't know the place very well at all. Have been offered a room on Wexford St. However the apartment is next door to "The Village" nightclub. Would this be a noisy area? If so would the noise just be on weekends? I am a light sleeper so would be worried about noise.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

if you're a light sleeper, its not for you. i would say most places nearby wouldn't suit either. I leave nearby and there's constantly drunken oafs shouting. I don't mind it though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If I was working in Dublin and my choice was living on Wexford St, or commuting every day from Co Wexford, I'd take the commute. You'll be hip deep in drunken idiots each time you step outside your front door. Every night. If you want to live close to the city centre, there are better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

It's such a busy, noisy street, especially at night that I wouldn't recommend it unless you are going to work night shift or are a serious night owl.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Socorro

Thanks all for replying. So it would be noisy most nights in the week? I would generally be out on Friday and Saturday night myself so that wouldn't be so bad but I wouldn't like noise Mon-Thurs!

I have lived near noisy pubs before and it's been manageable but I would be worried about noise from a nightclub and the sound of the bass etc. so maybe this place isn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Socorro wrote: »
    Thanks all for replying. So it would be noisy most nights in the week? I would generally be out on Friday and Saturday night myself so that wouldn't be so bad but I wouldn't like noise Mon-Thurs!

I have lived near noisy pubs before and it's been manageable but I would be worried about noise from a nightclub and the sound of the bass etc. so maybe this place isn't for me.

Every night....

Plus, if you drive, you'll also have to deal with a sea of disgruntled and aggressive taxi drivers every night from about 10pm on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

That whole area would be one of the main mid week social areas and is probably busier than Temple Bar during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lately

Speaking as someone who lived there once, the noise really wasn't an issue. It was a nice place to live. IM me if you want to ask anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I have friends who live on Wexford street and they love it, it's very central and the noise (for them) is very manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

The Village is always busy mid week and it's very, very noisy around the Wexford/Camden Street areas, seriously if you're a light sleeper you'll f*****g hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

I'd check out the appt maybe at night if possible to see if you could hear what the noise was like first hand...

I know that I used to live in temple bar, but the way my bedroom in the appt faced was into a courtyard away from the main noise so it was grand, it could be the same for the appt you are talking about...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I lived nearby before. It was terrible at night. Shouting, fighting, arguing and pissing at 3 in the morning. I'd imagine being on Wexford St. itself would be even worse with the noise from clubs and traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Wexford Street is part of the "village quarter" in the south city centre. it basically encapsulates Camden street and wexford street and the side alleys off it. The village nightclub was named after the area was rebranded as the village quarter.

basically, it is one of the biggest nightlife areas in the city. I think the village venue itself runs club nights from Wednesday to sunday night. however the bar is open 7 nights a week and there are often gigs on Monday and Tuesday too.

its a big place with a bar, a nightclub and a gig venue. so any night of the week it can be packed. you also have whelans a few doors down, this place runs club nights 7 nights a week. add in to the mix the other bars ad clubs and I don't think there is a bigger nightlife area in Ireland, save perhaps Temple Bar.

I would go down mid week and see what you think of the area. but personally it would be way too loud.

Portobello nearby is a lovely area and much quieter. its still city centre but the residential areas are really attractive and peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

liffeylite wrote: »
    Wexford Street is part of the "village quarter" in the south city centre. it basically encapsulates Camden street and wexford street and the side alleys off it. The village nightclub was named after the area was rebranded as the village quarter.

basically, it is one of the biggest nightlife areas in the city. I think the village venue itself runs club nights from Wednesday to sunday night. however the bar is open 7 nights a week and there are often gigs on Monday and Tuesday too.

its a big place with a bar, a nightclub and a gig venue. so any night of the week it can be packed. you also have whelans a few doors down, this place runs club nights 7 nights a week. add in to the mix the other bars ad clubs and I don't think there is a bigger nightlife area in Ireland, save perhaps Temple Bar.

I would go down mid week and see what you think of the area. but personally it would be way too loud.

Portobello nearby is a lovely area and much quieter. its still city centre but the residential areas are really attractive and peaceful.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Birneybau wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

pls explain

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

liffeylite wrote: »

Nothing quiet about the Portobello area other than the multitude of takeaways that no one ever go in to but yet they stay open. Poor ****ers who eat those kebabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

pls explain

Everyone knows it's not the 'village quarter'. Whelans was there long before the Village so it's actually called the 'Whelans quarter'.

Everyone knows it's not the 'village quarter'. Whelans was there long before the Village so it's actually called the 'Whelans quarter'.

i think he means that the area around whelans and the village was renamed(sort of) to the "village". Not that the area was named after a bar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

pls explain

I went to school in the area and have been drinking in the area for a good 15 years. This "Village Quarter" bullsh!t is just some idiotic attempt at trying to get hip, New York style area names in and I for one will not take part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

EyeSight wrote: »
    i think he means that the area around whelans and the village was renamed(sort of) to the "village". Not that the area was named after a bar

I know, I was just being sarcastic. I didn't think anyone actually called it the village quarter is all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I don't think liffeylite was endorsing the name. It was just a description of the area. It's a nightlife area. The fact that they tried to rebrand it as such serves simply to underline this fact.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Was in the area last night, I like Wexford St but the apartment is literally next door to the Village, not sure if I could handle it. Looking at a place on Lombard St East now, hopefully that will be a better area for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Thanks all. Was in the area last night, I like Wexford St but the apartment is literally next door to the Village, not sure if I could handle it. Looking at a place on Lombard St East now, hopefully that will be a better area for me.

Right between Markievicz flats and Pearse House flats- I would avoid like the plague.

Right between Markievicz flats and Pearse House flats- I would avoid like the plague.

Really? Have a friend that lived in the area and never had any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Birneybau wrote: »
    I went to school in the area and have been drinking in the area for a good 15 years. This "Village Quarter" bullsh!t is just some idiotic attempt at trying to get hip, New York style area names in and I for one will not take part.

Exactly right.

In fact just about the time before the bubble burst I seem to recall that some morketing people were trying to re-name parts of Kilmainham as SoHo ("south of Hueston Station") after the equivalent Soho in London.

Pure and utter tripe. Reminds me of Bill Hicks

I know, I was just being sarcastic. I didn't think anyone actually called it the village quarter is all
    where's the sarcasm tags dude? :P
    I know what you mean though. The fake NYC name vibe is embarrasing

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I don't know about Markievicz but I used to be around that area a lot and the Pearse flats looked very quiet, almost sleepy to be honest, nothing like the old Fatima Mansions say.

Advertisement