Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some clarifacation around Flights & Baggage

• 31-07-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi...

Looking at booking flights to Melbourne shortly from Dublin.

The flights I'm looking at are with Aer Lingus and Malaysia Airline's.

The flight stops at London and Kuala Lumpur International.

My question is can anyone clarify the following.

Will my baggage go directly to Melbourne when its checked in at Dublin?

And how will baggage allowance affect me.
    I understand the baggage allowance with Aer Lingus to be 20kgs which needs to be paid for ( 20 quid I believe )

However I'm slightly confused with Malaysia Airline's. I have seen some places say 20kgs and others say 30kgs...

The other thing I noticed is that I've seen that are lingus would have to honor the 30kgs as thats the longer flight,

Can anyone confirm this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭eagerv

Have you booked the whole trip with MAS?

If so then you can check your bags all the way through, just say so at Dublin.
    Also I would presume that bags would be under the terms of MAS. I certainly never paid any extra on the Aer Lingus part.

Enjoy your visit to Melbourne..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kennej

eagerv wrote: »
    Have you booked the whole trip with MAS?

If so then you can check your bags all the way through, just say so at Dublin.
    Also I would presume that bags would be under the terms of MAS. I certainly never paid any extra on the Aer Lingus part.

Enjoy your visit to Melbourne..

I was looking at booking the trip through sky scanner. I think I was directed to budgetair.ie to book the flights.

Have you tried using MAS website?

Last time I used Malaysia Airlines to fly to Melbourne I had problems with their site.
    I went in to my local friendly Travel Agent and got the same deal through them. Went via Amsterdam, enjoyable trip. Better airport than Heathrow. But MAS fly the new Airbus A380 from London to KL which is very comfortable.

Lately have been using Emirates or Etihad which are pretty stressfree from Dublin.

Just had a look at Skyscanner. They are offering very good prices to Melbourne alright. For november I got a quote of €750 return, of which €625 is taxes!

I have no experience of using this site, perhaps someone else could comment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Skyscanner is just an aggregator, you never actually book with them.

Companies pay them to advertise their product.

Click through and tell us what company the flights are being booked through. Then we can help you by advising whether we think they are reliable or not.

• Advertisement

I think OP said booking was with budgetair.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

I've booked, using skyscanner to find flights, then go through to booking, and it was through budgetair.ie I think it's called.

Malaysia airlines, Dublin to Perth, via Heathrow with AerLingus and onto KL before hitting Perth.

It's 30k in economy, even on the AerLingus section, as its a Malaysia booking. And your baggage will go through to Melbourne, just mention it at check in in Dublin to be sure!

Malaysia used to be 20kg, maybe that's where the confusion came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I like the idea of booking with a travel agent, a return flight for me Dublin to Perth €990 i get 30kg checked baggage and i get 7kg carry on. All i got to do is pay and show up! Thats it !

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭beamer-89

Hi OP,

I travelled from Dublin to Melbourne on this route back in May with AL and MA - it was a great service I found.

When you check in with AL in Dublin they'll check your bag straight through( just mention it to them to be sure).
    When you get to London and go through security there's a MA desk when they'll check you in on both flight to KL and Mel. The baggage allowance was 30kg and 7kg carry on.

In relation to booking your flights at the time I booked mine in February I used expedia.com.au - after the exchange rate I ended up saving over 200 euro compared to booking the exact same flights on expedia.ie, skyscanner etc. - so it's worth shopping around!

Good luck and enjoy!

ifeelill wrote: »
    I like the idea of booking with a travel agent, a return flight for me Dublin to Perth €990 i get 30kg checked baggage and i get 7kg carry on. All i got to do is pay and show up! Thats it !

Dublin - Perth return for me was €800 done online. Same thing, but cheaper.

• Advertisement

amg-slurp wrote: »
    Dublin - Perth return for me was €800 done online. Same thing, but cheaper.

Thats a good deal, id rather just pay and show up, if you're moving to the other side of the world why add more stress to the journey.

OP, I have had a look at Budgetair.ie, price quote €770 Dub-Mel-Dub for November.

Flight operated by MAS, so baggage etc as per their T&C's.

Thats a good deal, id rather just pay and show up, if you're moving to the other side of the world why add more stress to the journey.

Not having a go, just curious as to what extra hassle you think it is by booking online, rather than through a travel agent?
    Just because they take a cut, doesn't mean it's a different outcome in the end? Or am I missing something in what your saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Skyscanner + DIY booking >>>> travel agents

You save a fair whack sorting it yourself and it's not the most complicated thing in the world to do.

amg-slurp wrote: »
    Just because they take a cut, doesn't mean it's a different outcome in the end? Or am I missing something in what your saying?

Your travel agent will ensure you have adequate stopover times in order to make your connecting flight also you'll have someone to point the finger at if something that was your travel agents fault goes wrong.The travel agent will also confirm the price with the airline on your behalf so that the price you are quoted is the price you pay.

But mainly it's the hassle of booking DIY

But you are right it is the same outcome as long as nothing goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Your travel agent will ensure you have adequate stopover times in order to make your connecting flight also you'll have someone to point the finger at if something that was your travel agents fault goes wrong.The travel agent will also confirm the price with the airline on your behalf so that the price you are quoted is the price you pay.

But mainly it's the hassle of booking DIY

But you are right it is the same outcome as long as nothing goes wrong.

Airlines will also ensure minimum connection times are met. They won't ticket a flight (even with different airlines) unless the minimum connection time is achieved.

And if u miss a flight the airline you purchased with is responsible for putting you up and getting you on the next flight and is often a hell of a lot easier to get it contact with than an travel agent.

Also, airlines will always inform you of changes to your flight. I have found travel agents are a lot less likely to communicate changes to you. And if you miss a flight because your agent didnt tell you it had been brought forward an hour, its often your own loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

kennej wrote: »
    Hi...

Looking at booking flights to Melbourne shortly from Dublin.

The flights I'm looking at are with Aer Lingus and Malaysia Airline's.

The flight stops at London and Kuala Lumpur International.

My question is can anyone clarify the following.

Will my baggage go directly to Melbourne when its checked in at Dublin?

And how will baggage allowance affect me.
    I understand the baggage allowance with Aer Lingus to be 20kgs which needs to be paid for ( 20 quid I believe )

However I'm slightly confused with Malaysia Airline's. I have seen some places say 20kgs and others say 30kgs...

The other thing I noticed is that I've seen that are lingus would have to honor the 30kgs as thats the longer flight,

Can anyone confirm this ?

I flew with Aer Lingus and Malaysian Airlines last September, though I went to Sydney rather than Melbourne.

Was a pretty good flight, food was ok, entertainment was the usual rubbish.

The one thing that got messed up was my checked bags was only checked in until London, only noticed this after I had boarded the Aer Lingus flight.

I then had to go to the check-in desk in London and get somebody to ring down to the baggage area and re-tag the bag. There must have been some sort of miscommunication between them as they were only checked until Kuala Lumpar. Made my connecting flight in Malaysia to Sydney and my bags arrived about 5 days later.

I would double check the bag is checked in the whole way before you leave the check-in desk.

Also, regarding the fee charged by Aer Lingus for the checked bag, I assumed I had to pay it too, but when I done check in, no extra payment was asked for, so I didn't pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I had a similar issue Christmas just gone with Aer Lingus re: Malaysian Airlines flights. They told me that they couldn't check my bag all the way to Perth and I would have to collect my bags in KL (after getting there with KLM), then check them in again. Malaysian was separate as there wasn't a formal agreement with Aer Lingus.

However, I had a whinge about in Dublin so after a few phone calls it was sorted but I still had to go to the transfer desk in KL to make sure my bags had arrived and were being put on the next flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 allic

beamer-89 wrote: »
    When you get to London and go through security there's a MA desk when they'll check you in on both flight to KL and Mel. The baggage allowance was 30kg and 7kg carry on.

can I ask does the 7kg hand luggage include handbag/laptop?

allic wrote: »
    can I ask does the 7kg hand luggage include handbag/laptop?

Malaysia Airlines allow one piece of carry on plus a briefcase/laptop bag up to a max of 7kg.
    In addition to your carry-on baggage, the following personal items are also allowed as hand baggage:
    • a handbag, pocket book or purse
    • a briefcase
    • an overcoat, wrap or blanket
    • electronic equipment such as a laptop, iPad and camera
    • a small camera or a pair of binoculars
    • a reasonable amount of reading material for the flight
    • an infant carry cot
    • food for infants and children for consumption in-flight
    • fully collapsible baby stroller (on wide body aircraft only)
    • walking stick/canes or crutches and/or braces/prosthetic devices, which the passenger is dependent on

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en/book-and-plan/baggage/hand-baggage.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement