Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What antenna to use.

Options
  • 31-07-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Uniden BC72XLT radio scanner and the antenna that came with it isn't that good it can only receive transmissions within 1-2 miles.

Does anyone have a recommendations on what scanner to use so I can get a range of 5+ miles.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

this scanner it self is not bad at all, just replace the antenna with something more suitable.
    something like this should work great http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/amateur-radio/antennas/base-antennas/scanmaster-b1300-n

just pay attention what connector antenna comes with - this one above comes with N type, so you need an adapter (N to BNC)

Or you can build an antenna yourself, it's not a rocket science and it's a lot of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dman15333

@martinsvi. Thanks for the reply, don't think I'll be able to build one myself thought, I seen this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/310701003528?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 on ebay, but don't know if its any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

it's not the distance of the transmitting station, its the power of the signal when it gets to you. given the right conditions, Australia will boom in while you can't hear Dublin.....

anyway, your scanner covers 25-54,108-174,406-512 MHZ so thats CB, 10m and up.

the antenna suggested above will help, but so would a long wire threaded round the trees that you might have near your house......

Advertisement