Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland weird policy

Options
  • 31-07-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

I rang the gas part of electric Ireland today to try switch to a pre paid meter. They wouldn't allow me to do it without a charge as I wasn't in arrears. I thought fine as my 12 month interact is up and I can just move. Then the agent informed me that my contract was up last march and they emailed me to tell me they can offer me the same deal if I sign another 12 month contract.
    I have no recollection of the email and didn't read it even if I did receive it.
    When I didn't reg to the email they went ahead and committed me to another 12 month contract that will end in March 2014!!!!
    I argued the point that they can't tie me into a contract that I didn't agree to but she then said the email informed me that no response means yes!!!!! I told her I never seen the email and she said well we sent it and the info was in it so I'm tied in till 2014.
    It's come totally bizarre.

Is this normal, have I any rights here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jarvis wrote: »
    I rang the gas part of electric Ireland today to try switch to a pre paid meter. They wouldn't allow me to do it without a charge as I wasn't in arrears. I thought fine as my 12 month interact is up and I can just move. Then the agent informed me that my contract was up last march and they emailed me to tell me they can offer me the same deal if I sign another 12 month contract.
    I have no recollection of the email and didn't read it even if I did receive it.
    When I didn't reg to the email they went ahead and committed me to another 12 month contract that will end in March 2014!!!!
    I argued the point that they can't tie me into a contract that I didn't agree to but she then said the email informed me that no response means yes!!!!! I told her I never seen the email and she said well we sent it and the info was in it so I'm tied in till 2014.
    It's come totally bizarre.

Is this normal, have I any rights here?
    You have not signed, agreed or even known about this new contract so it is not enforceable. They are obviously pulling a fast one to try and keep customers leading up to the sale of the company. move if you are sure you did not enter into a new contract and if they try to charge you any early termination fees or other charges not related to your useage up to the point you switch just ignore all contact from them, dont waste your time ringing or writing to them over a contract that does not and can not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭TheHamster

They obviously didn't read the email you sent back stating you didn't want to be tied in to another 12 month contract!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

TheHamster wrote: »
    They obviously didn't read the email you sent back stating you didn't want to be tied in to another 12 month contract!!

Or the email which stated that you wanted free electricity for the year and that by not responding they have agreed to the new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - stay on topic please.

@lala88 Continue this kind of attacking and you will face a ban.

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

dudara wrote: »
    Posters - stay on topic please.

@lala88 Continue this kind of attacking and you will face a ban.

dudara

what about the others doing the same? Dont see any warning been given to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you have a problem, please take it to Feedback or PM. Do not respond on thread as it further derails the discussion.

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

dudara wrote: »
    If you have a problem, please take it to Feedback or PM. Do not respond on thread as it further derails the discussion.

dudara

i have sent you a PM but got no reply from you or are you just going to ignore that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you are not in arrears why do you want a prepaid meter? You could "miss a few bills" if you want a prepaid meter and save the money to ensure that they dont cut off your bill. But apparently if you only pay €50 off your massive bill, they can't cut you off.

TheHamster wrote: »

Nobody can be tied to any contract without their knowledge and consent and in most cases a signature is also required. After the original contract the op should have been left on a month to month basis where they just give the usual 30 days notice to move.

hfallada wrote: »
    If you are not in arrears why do you want a prepaid meter? You could "miss a few bills" if you want a prepaid meter and save the money to ensure that they dont cut off your bill. But apparently if you only pay €50 off your massive bill, they can't cut you off.

There is also extra monthly charges for those meters which can add up to €12-€15/month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They are obviously pulling a fast one to try and keep customers leading up to the sale of the company.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,441 ✭✭✭✭Victor

:confused:

Yes just reread the op and it is electric Ireland gas division and not bord gais as I thought:D

Advertisement