Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs back leg swollen. Possibly bitten??

• 31-07-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

My dogs right rear leg is swollen and she isn't putting weight on it but she doesn't seem bothered by me checking it out. Feels like fluid.
    Other day I seen a good few ants out the back and I'm wondering did yet bite her or something bite her. She has a small mark near her ankle that looks like a bite as its round and about a 5 millimetre diameter. Crusty blood also.
    She was fine this morning when I fed her so just wondering is it a bite.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

No one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maroon77

A visit to the Vet might help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

The recent hot weather was very good for the creepy crawly bitey insects all right, but it would be some beast of a thing to leave a 5mm hole.
    Is she in a kept in a garden/ run or is she out loose? Could it be another dog/cat/rat/etc? Do you have a picture to post?

I'd take her to the vet asap, but it's worthwhile trying to figure out what happened so you can prevent it happening again.

maroon77 wrote: »
    A visit to the Vet might help

At 10 at night
    Great advice??

Cedrus wrote: »
    The recent hot weather was very good for the creepy crawly bitey insects all right, but it would be some beast of a thing to leave a 5mm hole.
    Is she in a kept in a garden/ run or is she out loose? Could it be another dog/cat/rat/etc? Do you have a picture to post?

I'd take her to the vet asap, but it's worthwhile trying to figure out what happened so you can prevent it happening again.

She's a hunting dog so I doubt it was a rat. Also I have my ferret there so a rat won't come anywhere near the garden. Ferret is always in hutch aswell. So ferret didn't do it and never has bitten her.
    Just wondering if it would've been a horsefly as I was bitten out my back garden on Saturday by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

t a 5 millimetre diameter. Crusty blood also.
    She was fine this morning when I fed her so just wondering is it a bite.

Well yeah, possibly. You've been here awhile,you know the story.....there's not much else we can help you with.

If you're concerned head to a vet, but apart from that I'm not sure what else we can do tbh.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

At 10 at night
    Great advice??

It's actually excellent advice, if you're very concerned about your pet. All vets should and do have a 24/7 Emergency "on call" service if you need emergency care.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

My dog had something similar last week and it turned out to be a thorn.

Her leg was hot and swollen and she was getting into a state licking it. I stood her in cold water to take down the swelling and reduce the heat. When she was calmer I put Epsom salts into warm water and stood her leg in that. When I dried her leg there was a thorn sticking out. Once I got that out she was fine.

Advertisement