Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed (again) PC dead

Options
  • 31-07-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

My PC is dead. Turns on and nothing on screen. Fans run and Dr Debug shows 19 from turn on, never changes.

I have checked all connections and tried another monitor - nothing.

I disconnected SSD (boot) drive and restarted and nothing happened, didn't try to access DVD drive etc.

Details of build and initial problems are here on this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84453695

I am not very techy once the cover is off the PC, so any suggestions on what to try next would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

HorseSea wrote: »
    My PC is dead. Turns on and nothing on screen. Fans run and Dr Debug shows 19 from turn on, never changes.

I have checked all connections and tried another monitor - nothing.

I disconnected SSD (boot) drive and restarted and nothing happened, didn't try to access DVD drive etc.

Details of build and initial problems are here on this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84453695

I am not very techy once the cover is off the PC, so any suggestions on what to try next would be appreciated.

Have you tried re-seating the RAM?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭HorseSea

Boards to the rescue again, thanks Nick. I did try that last night and re-seating video and sound cards etc. But when I read you email it occurred to me I did not CMOS reset after re-seating so I tried that and yippee I am up and running and working on this PC again.

Many thanks.

ARGH! It's gone again, wouldn't start this morning, I have reseated the memory, swapped the memory around, tried with two of the four etc. Nothing, still Dr Debug goes straight to 19 and stays there. Any further suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hit the reset button on the BIOS?
    Have you got anything overclocked?
    Maybe it's a software issue of some sort?
    Have you got all the up to date drivers for the board and card.
    Up to date firmware for the ssd?
    Updated the BIOS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

do a visual check for leaky / bad capacitors.

remove all unnecessary components. (hdd, dvd, modems, etc)

if you have 2 sticks of ram, try them individuality

if all looks well, see if you can get use of a known good PSU for test.

• Advertisement

Bloodbath, you were one of the helpers with my initial problems when this PC was delivered.

Hit the reset button on the BIOS? - Yes many times.
    Have you got anything overclocked? - No have not done anything like that.
    Maybe it's a software issue of some sort? - I have not installed anything in over a month
    Have you got all the up to date drivers for the board and card. Did all that 3 months ago, have changed nothing since.
    Up to date firmware for the ssd? See last point.
    Updated the BIOS? ditto.

Tried memory in every combination of 2 and 4 and disconnected the 4 hard drives and even the SSD which is the boot drive. Nothing made any difference, straight to 19 and stalls there.

I phoned Hardwareversand yesterday and they said just return the whole time, said they would email a shipping label on Monday. I don't have original packing so it would be a big deal wrapping this thing, it's a huge tower. Anyway, today I was about to remove my 4 data drives (I was not sending them) and tried to start it one more time and low and behold it starts perfectly. I have shut down and restarted several times since, now I don't know if I should still send it back, I really don't want to be without it for a week or more, it is used everyday.

sKeith. I tried everything you suggested, except the PSU bit and I can't get my hands on one easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I wouldn't ship it back yet anyway. Everything will be under warranty for at least 1 year. Most of the items will have 2-3+ years warranty. If it's working be happy and hopefully it doesn't happen again. It can be hard to isolate the source of problems like these.

Started up this morning fine, so I am just going to keep my fingers crossed :D

Advertisement