Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water pump doesnt turn off

Options
  • 31-07-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

i have a 95 fiat dethleffs camper. when i went out the other day the battery was flat. took it out and charged it now when i connect it the water pump is constantly on. no taps are on.
    any ideas please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Depends on the system you have. Some have a pressure switch on the pump to turn it off when the taps are closed, others have a switch at the tap to turn the pump on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

Not sure which one i have, is there a easy way to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This might not be relevant to your van at all, but in our van in the toilet/ shower there's two controls. One on the tap/ shower head, and then a separate control on the side beside the sink which is the hot and cold mixer. The tap can be closed, but if the mixer isn't in the off position the pump will carry on running.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

I think the pump on ours can stay running if we're running very low on fresh water. Maybe top this up and try again?

If it's an automatic pressure regulated one, an open tap or leak in the plumbing will cause this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

We had this problem on our 1999 Dethleffs. It has a submersible pump in the water tank. The taps have microswitches and one of them wasn't being shut off properly. The dealer repaired the tap.

Pump switches go frequently. Their nature is to often get wet.

I prefer the pulse switches; the one's you have to hold down or turns off automatically. It prevents the guests wasting water and flooding the overflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I would say its the boiler drain is in the open position.

Thanks for the reply folks, been flat out all week, hope to get a look at it tomorrow night
    Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I would say its the boiler drain is in the open position.
    The boiler drain is in the off position.
    Will check the pump and taps tomorrow
    I cant see any leaks when the pump is running so hope its a microswitch or pump.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Disconnect either wire each tap in turn and you'll find which one is at fault.

• Advertisement

Disconnected the wire in kitchen area tap, no difference. Then took apart the one in bathroom give it a clean and all is working fine now.
    thanks again for the help.

If you coat the cleaned connections in silicon then it'll reduce the likelihood of a recurrence. I wouldn't bother because it makes it a pain to remove later, maybe seal the switch surround, tap etc. instead.

Advertisement