Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandon marathon / half-marathon 12-Oct-13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Wonder who are the organizers....very little info about that but the website is very tidy...will sign up I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Miles 9 to 13.5 look like a drag!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ChristyM

Did anyone hear anything else about this?

I am thinking of doing the half-marathon over Brandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

ChristyM wrote: »
    Did anyone hear anything else about this?

I am thinking of doing the half-marathon over Brandon.

I'm looking at the Brandon Half too. Looks great!

Anyone else signed up?

I've registered for the Brandon Mountain Half. Will run most of the way back to Dingle to complete my scheduled 32-34km for the day, (just so happens that the return journey is along most of the Conor Pass route :cool: )

Current forecast doesn't look too bad, but sure who can predict Dingle weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Shoppingbike

Hi its my first post but i swear i am not an organiser of this race. afaik the organisers are the same as the dingle duathlon/triathlon the past couple of years. I am sure it will be an extremely decent well organised race. The course is a reverse circuit of the dingle adventure race. There is a limit of 300 entrants i think which seems sensible bearing in mind its the first one. I have an injury and am of sound mind so sadly i wont be taking part in any of it (there is also an 8k and two halves) but i am from dingle and really looking forward to see how the race itself pans out particularly the winning times. It is an incredibly challenging course, even the initial road section out from dingle to the foot of brandon is an uphill drag and the descent down the cloghane side of brandon can be tricky when its wet and then conor pass. Fair play to anyone brave enough and anyone who finishes, i think 'epic' is the right word here so good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sounds epic alright. Wish I could do at least the half, but the timing doesn't suit. A summer date would have been more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

i'd love to see someone do this with a camera and post some of the more spectacular bits on YouTube or whatever. Just to get an idea of the climb and descent of Brandon.

Signed up for the marathon and send them email to switch to half. Half is enough of a challenge me thinks. However I have heard nothing from organizers about my entry at any stage. Anyone heard from them yet by email or post?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Clearly my decision to sign up to this for a laugh (the full) was a bit of an error!!!

Still, I did the Ballyhoura Mountain Marathon in May and that was about a 5:09 finish so it's not the distance or the terrain that gets you but the pace.

This one will have plenty of time to walk and take on food with the gradient of those hills.

• Advertisement

How did you all get on today? Brandon is one hell of a hill. The descent was frantic!

Did the half marathon from Dingle, up thru the peninsula upto the Mount Brandon summit [3,127 feet]. Very challenging. Coming down also brutal especially after the sign DOWN ABSTEIG. Loose rocks, slippery, jagged. A fantastic challenge. Loads of water on route, great marshalls, very tough course. John Lenihan spoke to all runners before the start gun to offer quiet words of wisdom. A legend. At the finish line lovely soup and sandwiches.
    This is a must do race.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

I did the full marathon and would agree that it is a must do race for anyone in Ireland (or further afield). The course is great (great means very very hard) and it is very fulfilling (fulfilling means you'll be bate out from it!)

I threw a report up on my blog of it.

http://wp.me/pKhFM-Gx

Advertisement