Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep sponging

• 31-07-2013 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of sponging the ewes this year. I know it's expensive but with work and family commitments I need to lamb them down in a week. I've never actually done it myself so is it a DIY job or would I need to get te vet.

Secondly how much does it cost.

Thirdly how many ewes per ram would be the ratio.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

Did it myself for the first time this year, handy out. Just get an applicator, use lubricant and take time. I haven't checked them yet to see if any or all have fallen out though..... They recommend 1 ram per 8/10 ewes and best not use lambs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lastin

It is best to get someone to show you how to sponge the ewes. Dip the applicator in mild antiseptic between ewes and make sure the ewes are held tightly. Depending on the time of the year different rates of PMSG will have to be use.
    They wont all lamb in 1 week though (repeats) 60% to first service is near the average I think, though we hit 83% last year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 taylorgreen

Totally agree:It is best to get someone to show you how to sponge the ewes.

Advertisement