Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this sample look strange?

Options
  • 31-07-2013 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Took this today from a batch of Woodfordes Admiral Reserve that has been fermenting for 4 days.

Maybe it's the light going through the little shot but does it look alright? Lots of yeast but that's grand I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

4 days ? leave it alone for 2 weeks minimum then tackle again..it will be grand. the more you go at it the more it could be compromised..

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Took this today from a batch of Woodfordes Admiral Reserve that has been fermenting for 4 days.

Maybe it's the light going through the little shot but does it look alright? Lots of yeast but that's grand I think.

Normal after 4 days. Especially if you are drawing off from a fermenter tap. Where do you think all the sediment settles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Good points, blame me for being anxious doing my first brew. :o

The sediment doesn't bother me at all as I expect that, it's more the colour I was concerned about.

Either way it smells and tastes like beer even at this early stage and there is definitely alcohol there.

Back to being patient for me so. :D

Thanks.

The noob needn't have worried, measured the gravity today after 3 weeks fermenting and was delighted to see what I have. Almost ready for the bottle.

patience is a b*tch!

i hope you drank those samples....waste not want not etc....:)
    looks good . I made that before and its good ... try leave it a month in bottle...if you can and it improves. after 3 months it peaks I think.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, be crazy to waste it.

Being my first brew it's hard not to be impatient or anxious but time really does pay off, it's clearly nicely now.

Tastes nice alright at this stage. The gravity is still dropping slowly so I'll give it another few days before I get out the bottles.

I'm really enjoying my first taste of brewing. I have some Wurzel's Orange Wine on the go at the moment. Next beers will be Coopers Irish Stout, then Coopers IPA, both with LME.

All in all a great hobby. :-)

i usually give it a week and then start tipping slowly at it a bottle every few days you see how it develops. I had a stash of bottles that i ages for a year ... some of this , fixby gold and brewferm abbey. they all paltaeau'd after about 3 months except forthe brewferm which peaked at about 6 months. for a quick turn around ive doen the coopers wheat 2 summers ago brew-drink-gone in 2.5 weeks( week primary + week bottled = goen in a weekend for a stag party)

Advertisement