Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I wonder how it works in the winter when we have no water?

Why dont you have water in winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why dont you have water in winter?

Pressure drops below useable in parts of the town during frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I would prefer to have a meter installed and pay for the water I use than pay for an estimate which is what those without one will be paying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Moonbeam wrote: »
    http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/meter-campagin-kicks-off-in-kildare-1-5333009
    I wonder how it works in the winter when we have no water?

I would imagine that the meter would read 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I would imagine that the meter would read 0.
    I would imagine that the meter would stay at the previous reading until the water started to flow again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

There's only one way of getting rid of this crud... stand up and out in enormous numbers like the old days.

Enjoy having no water if you do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

zenno wrote: »
    There's only one way of getting rid of this crud... stand up and out in enormous numbers like the old days.

Too many sheep in the country for that to happen

Too many sheep in the country for that to happen

Or people who obey the law - seeing as your previous post was encouraging criminal behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

MYOB wrote: »
    Or people who obey the law - seeing as your previous post was encouraging criminal behaviour.
    Why should I obey the law of a country run by banks and crooks?

• Advertisement

And that country would be?

Are you even liable for water charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The charge is here, and it's a fact. This is not the forum for debating the ins and outs of it.

Let's keep it on topic (the roll-out in Kildare). Any further posts dragging it off-topic and/or stupidity (such as advocating criminal activities) will lead to extremely swift bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Folks, like it or loathe it, the charges are coming. I have already pre-empted the roll out by installing water butts for rain collecting plus some decent filters and water purifiers. Incidentally, in Frankfurt,Germany, they have the water meters (or at least the dial) on top of the toilet cistern so you can see the needle spinning around ferociously every time you flush the jacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Nobody's written to me yet:
    Each meter is expected to take two hours to install, and homeowners will be written to 14 days in advance of the works taking place.

While Irish Water said it could not guarantee the repair materials for the pavement, such as concrete or tarmacadam, would match the material in place, it would "do its best" to return it to a similar condition.

The reinstatement works could be completed in many cases within three days, but the maximum 10-day period applies.

According to the Liffey Champion - Moyglare Hall and Parklands estates will be the first to get their meters starting from Monday 12th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I know a lad who works for a company that do stuff like this, he said if the homeowner objects they have to replace the full section of concrete. He said its a pain he has everyday, and will be inflicting it on the workers himself this time.

Staplor wrote: »
    I know a lad who works for a company that do stuff like this, he said if the homeowner objects they have to replace the full section of concrete. He said its a pain he has everyday, and will be inflicting it on the workers himself this time.

Would the Water Company not have already agreed with Kildare Co Co what the standard of finish must be.
    We will complete permanent reinstatement typically in three working days but within a maximum of ten working days.

We can’t guarantee that the repair material used, such as concrete or tarmacadam, will match the material that was there before but we will do our best to return it to a similar condition and in accordance with protocols agreed between Irish Water and the Local Authorities.

It is important to realise that the colour of new materials will be different from the original surface for a time..
    http://www.water.ie/help-centre/questions-and-answers/what-happens-after-installation/?category=metering

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Got a notice in the letter box last Monday in Moyglare Hall to say it would be happening in the next 2 weeks. There was a guy checking the meter boxes that day too so looks imminent all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Got a notice in the letter box last Monday in Moyglare Hall to say it would be happening in the next 2 weeks. There was a guy checking the meter boxes that day too so looks imminent all right.

We didn't get a notice yet so they haven't managed to get to the entire estate yet.

Apparently Kildare was chosen to be first to get the meters because of the County Councils swift co-operation in providing the necessary metering survey information.

Also in the Liffey Champion Naoise Ó Cearúil (Fianna Fáil Representative for Maynooth :eek:) is planning to hold a public meeting about the meters.
    “I will be organising a public meeting in the coming weeks to gauge local opinion and see if a campaign to stop the implementation of these meters is wanted by our communities”
    http://naoiseocearuil.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement

Anyone care to remind him what party signed us up to an agreement with the EU to implement water metering in the first place? FFs arrogance amazes me, even after 14 years of their recklessness.

Appointing people as fake councillors to get over the fact that they had nearly none elected is even more pathetic, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

What happens if the builder hasn't handed over the estate to the council yet. Surely they have no right to dig up the path on an estate that the council have no rights to. (yet)

dave45dave wrote: »
    What happens if the builder hasn't handed over the estate to the council yet. Surely they have no right to dig up the path on an estate that the council have no rights to. (yet)

The installation of the meters and the meter boxes is being carried out by contractors working on behalf of Irish Water.

http://www.water.ie/help-centre/questions-and-answers/who-will-install-the-meters-and-meter-boxes/?category=metering

Newer estates would have appropriately sized boundary boxes already in place, hence no digging anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Is there any public meetings in kildare to build a campaign of opposition to block the water meters being installed?

Am Chile wrote: »
    Is there any public meetings in kildare to build a campaign of opposition to block the water meters being installed?

I think the "Campaign" has gone home with its tail between its legs after its humiliation with the "one million non-payers" on the HHC, and then spending a few weeks desperately trying to redefine figures before even those ones got smashed.

They're being installed. There is nothing you can do legislatively about it, and you'll rather rapidly end up in a court-contempt-prison cycle if you try to physically prevent it.

I think the "Campaign" has gone home with its tail between its legs after its humiliation with the "one million non-payers" on the HHC, and then spending a few weeks desperately trying to redefine figures before even those ones got smashed.

They're being installed. There is nothing you can do legislatively about it, and you'll rather rapidly end up in a court-contempt-prison cycle if you try to physically prevent it.

Going by tv3 news they re picking areas where they wont expect resistance-in some areas and parts around the country they gonna face resistance- going by the lack of court cases with the household charge I see it as unlikely people being brought to court-they will likely put people on a higher flat rate charge for blocking water meters-its early days yet.

Going by tv3 news they re picking areas where they wont expect resistance-in some areas and parts around the country they gonna face resistance- going by the lack of court cases with the household charge I see it as unlikely people being brought to court-they will likely put people on a higher flat rate charge for blocking water meters-its early days yet.

The reason there's not been many household charge prosecutions is because, despite the guff and bluster from the assorted malcontents, there was a very very high compliance rate in the end.

If you block a meter installation, fully expect an injunction and all that follows - just look at the bin charge protests in Dublin. This being why a number of the ULA TDs have seen the inside of Mountjoy.

The reason there's not been many household charge prosecutions is because, despite the guff and bluster from the assorted malcontents, there was a very very high compliance rate in the end.

If you block a meter installation, fully expect an injunction and all that follows - just look at the bin charge protests in Dublin. This being why a number of the ULA TDs have seen the inside of Mountjoy.

If anyone is jailed for opposing water meters being installed- when following the realease of the anglo tapes and no investigations or prosecutions have taken place against anyone in anglo is playing with fire.

• Advertisement

If anyone is jailed for opposing water meters being installed- when following the realease of the anglo tapes and no investigations or prosecutions have taken place against anyone in anglo is playing with fire.

The two are unconnected.

Advertisement