Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

MYOB wrote: »
    The two are unconnected.

If someone is brought to court and jailed for peacefully opposing a water meter being installed-while no one from anglo is investigated or prosecuted-a lot of people out there will see it as double standards one law for the ordinary working person jailed for opposing a water meter being installed- and another law for the rich anglo bankers committing fraud getting away with it-as I said I see it as playing with fire if anyone is jailed for reasons opposing water meters being installed-all it takes is one spark to ignite the flames to get fires alight- all it took in turkey was the redesigning of a park to ignite a spark same in brazil with increase bus fares was all it took it ignite a spark.

Danpad wrote: »
    Folks, like it or loathe it, the charges are coming. I have already pre-empted the roll out by installing water butts for rain collecting plus some decent filters and water purifiers. Incidentally, in Frankfurt,Germany, they have the water meters (or at least the dial) on top of the toilet cistern so you can see the needle spinning around ferociously every time you flush the jacks!

I have seen on different threads and forums some people saying they buy water butts or water tanks to get around water charges-even with water butts- you do realease there will be a standing charge and you will also be charged for the water thats flowing out as well as the water thats following in?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

Am Chile wrote: »
    If someone is brought to court and jailed for peacefully opposing a water meter being installed-while no one from anglo is investigated or prosecuted-a lot of people out there will see it as double standards one law for the ordinary working person jailed for opposing a water meter being installed- and another law for the rich anglo bankers committing fraud getting away with itQUOTE]

Who will see it as double standards? The courts won't.

Pay the damn water charges and quit this moral high-ground nonsense.

Nobody LIKES to pay them, but if we are to reveloutionise the way we fund the state, and prevent another boom-bust, a sustainable taxation system is needed.

Linking Anglo to Water metres is like linking the spread of AIDS to Bird Flu. Totally unrelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Kildare estate's dubious honour of water-meter first

They started in Rockfield.

We got our initial leaflet last Friday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

I have seen on different threads and forums some people saying they buy water butts or water tanks to get around water charges-even with water butts- you do realease there will be a standing charge and you will also be charged for the water thats flowing out as well as the water thats following in?

There isn't a charge for collecting and using rain water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If someone is brought to court and jailed for peacefully opposing a water meter being installed

They'll be brought to court for breaking an injunction. Attempting to bring "the banks" in to a debate like this is pathetic and wildly misinformed.
    you do realease there will be a standing charge and you will also be charged for the water thats flowing out

There is no metering on outflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

brian_t wrote: »

That's a serious hole for a single meter!

It appears that there will be some charge for it though.
    How much will I be charged for wastewater?

The tariff for wastewater removal and treatment will be determined by the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER).

Will I receive a separate bill for water and wastewater?

No, you will receive a single bill if you are supplied with both water and wastewater services.
    http://www.water.ie/help-centre/questions-and-answers/will-i-receive-a-separate-bill-for-water-and-wastewater/?category=billing

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

They'll be brought to court for breaking an injunction. Attempting to bring "the banks" in to a debate like this is pathetic and wildly misinformed.

...also, unless they meter the rain clouds that frequent the area above my house, my water butts and rain water collectors will provide me with free water. These units do not have anything to do with the mains.

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »
    It appears that there will be some charge for it though.

Calculated off inflow, same as commercial water. So if you're using waterbutts etc, you aren't being charged for the outflow of that, or for storm drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Attempting to bring "the banks" in to a debate like this is pathetic and wildly misinformed.

Indeed, and as already pointed out, wildly OT for this forum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Have we a choice where the meter goes? I wouldn't like the cobblelock taken up, but don't mind if it's around the side where the concrete footpath is.

beertons wrote: »
    Have we a choice where the meter goes? I wouldn't like the cobblelock taken up, but don't mind if it's around the side where the concrete footpath is.

No. The Council have already decided that.

It's located just outside your property wherever the water mains happens to enter it.

266511.jpg

https://twitter.com/MarieMulcahyTV3/status/365438121761964032/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Danpad wrote: »
    ...also, unless they meter the rain clouds that frequent the area above my house, my water butts and rain water collectors will provide me with free water. These units do not have anything to do with the mains.

I hope it keeps fine for you :) or should that be ....

The Leinster Leader has put up an article today which includes a 6 min video of the first instalation been done.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/video-first-water-meter-installed-in-maynooth-co-kildare-1-5374403

I see from facebook the CAHWT group in kildare are planning to hold a public meeting this wednesday night on the water charge/water privatisation issue
    Local Cahwt presents: Water is a Human Right, Public Forum, Wednesday 14th August at 8pm, Glenroyal Hotel, Maynooth

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=419184204857588&set=a.312257942216882.68414.181883045254373&type=1&theater

Rabble rabble rabble. Same ten people as always, protest against everything on any grounds they can think up.

Leaflet came through the door today, most notable thing is a warning that if you use the mains as earth for power, it won't be earth anymore when the meter is in.

Rabble rabble rabble. Same ten people as always, protest against everything on any grounds they can think up.

Leaflet came through the door today, most notable thing is a warning that if you use the mains as earth for power, it won't be earth anymore when the meter is in.

I mighnt know the activists in kildare~but i commend them for making an attempt trying to organise~ it sure beats complaining about things and ringing up joe duffy and local radio shows.

I see from facebook the CAHWT group in kildare are planning to hold a public meeting this wednesday night on the water charge/water privatisation issue

This is the People Before Profits and Sinn Fein crowd.

That Fianna Fail lad will have to hurry up and arrange his meeting or else he will be left behind. :pac:

• Advertisement

It is possible if the house was built before the 80's and a metal mains water pipe was used for an earth source. The earth is normally done via an earth rod even before the 80s and earth via metal water pipe only should be uncommon. Since the early 80s plastic mains water pipes are used to feed houses but you can always have exceptions.

Joe Public wrote: »
    It is possible if the house was built before the 80's and a metal mains water pipe was used for an earth source. The earth is normally done via an earth rod even before the 80s and earth via metal water pipe only should be uncommon. Since the early 80s plastic mains water pipes are used to feed houses but you can always have exceptions.

That was my point - I should have said water mains rather than just mains which could imply electrical :o

Pretty sure my parents house (likely 1970s build but mid 80s purchase 'new' - thats how long houses took to sell them) uses the watermains as earth, at least there's earth wiring bonded to it in places and we've never found a cap for an earth rod.

Just assuming this house has an earth rod, as despite being older it actually has plastic pipes in the few places they haven't been completely replaced due to the kitchen being moved etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Am I the only one who thinks a metered water supply is quite a good idea....?

Services don't arrive at your house for free.

endacl wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks a metered water supply is quite a good idea....?

]Am I the only one who thinks a metered water supply is quite a good idea....?

Probaly one of the few-with gas prices/electricity prices and bin charges all set to increase next year and the kite flying in the yesterdays papers about the budget-I bet there is a awful lot of people are dreading thought of the water charges and wondering how they will manage to pay them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85929388&postcount=3051

The idea that water is somehow free is quite false and misleading-water is a public service paid for by peoples taxes- il be very surprised if water charges dont meet the same level of opposition as they did last time around.

Probabaly one of the few

I think you're the only one on this thread who seems to be expressing obvious opposition so I have no idea where you get that from.
    The idea that water is somehow free is quite false and misleading-water is a public service paid for by peoples taxes

Currently, the state isn't paying for everything by peoples taxes. Hence the defecit...
    il be very surprised if water charges dont meet the same level of opposition as they did last time around.

Which was minimal, if you can actually remember them rather than believing CAHWT guff about 'the good old days'.

There was an angry article a month in the Maynooth Newsletter and occasionally three or four people waving placards in Naas. In general there was actually more anger that Dublin Corporation didn't charge.

I think you're the only one on this thread who seems to be expressing obvious opposition so I have no idea where you get that from.

Currently, the state isn't paying for everything by peoples taxes. Hence the defecit...

Which was minimal, if you can actually remember them rather than believing CAHWT guff about 'the good old days'.

There was an angry article a month in the Maynooth Newsletter and occasionally three or four people waving placards in Naas. In general there was actually more anger that Dublin Corporation didn't charge.

From various polls in the media radio and news paper polls over the last few years- and opposition in the real world outside boards.ie-IM sure all those people on less then 20 euros a week ( league of credit union surveys ) will welcome a water charge with open arms.

It is paying for water as a public service- Im sure the men who work in the water service department arent working and helping provide a service without being paid.
    Which was minimal, if you can actually remember them rather than believing CAHWT guff about 'the good old days'

In some areas there was stronger opposition then others- in the 1996 bye election water charges was a issue- joe higgins only narrowly missed a seat which saw labours vote go way down-obvious strong enough shown by that bye election.

From various polls in the media radio and news paper polls over the last few years- and opposition in the real world outside boards.ie-IM sure all those people on less then 20 euros a week ( league of credit union surveys ) will welcome a water charge with open arms.

The ILCU survey is hilariously discredited. You appear to see and read solely what you agree with - right down to ignoring the rest of this thread!
    It is paying for water as a public service- Im sure the men who work in the water service department arent working and helping provide a service without being paid.

Without massive borrowing, or the introduction of charging, they aren't going to be paid.
    In some areas there was stronger opposition then others- in the 1996 bye election water charges was a issue- joe higgins only narrowly missed a seat which saw labours vote go way down-obvious strong enough shown by that bye election.

That wasn't water charges, that was Dublin voters trying to avoid paying any charges - as they had no residential tax, bin charges or water charges at the time. And guess what? They couldn't even win a protest vote at a by-election. In Kildare they could barely muster a councillor.

You're in a tiny minority here, and as has been explained already, none of this is even close to on-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Lets get real now ,anybody who thinks people are looking forward to paying for their water (who didnt previously) is mad !And many people I know ARE barely scraping by month to month .I know MY family are !Simply impossible to save a cent , even before the latest round of austerity .

That was my point - I should have said water mains rather than just mains which could imply electrical :o

Pretty sure my parents house (likely 1970s build but mid 80s purchase 'new' - thats how long houses took to sell them) uses the watermains as earth, at least there's earth wiring bonded to it in places and we've never found a cap for an earth rod.

Just assuming this house has an earth rod, as despite being older it actually has plastic pipes in the few places they haven't been completely replaced due to the kitchen being moved etc.

The earth wiring is bonded to the water pipes more for safety than using them as an earth source. Suppose someone had one hand on a tap and the other touching a metal part of the cooker it wouldn't do to have them at different voltages for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

According to the Leinster Leader 30 people attended this meeting.

Twice as many as attended the People Before Profits meeting on Aug 7 in the Glenroyal on "An Alternative Health Care System" (14 not incl. Press and Speakers).

They had a meeting in Aug last year in Kilcock about "Cuts in the Ambulance Service" where only 5 people turned up.

At the water charges meeting one of the speakers in explaining apathy said "Most People in Kildare are Sheep".

Advertisement