Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Apologies if this has addressed earlier, but why are the meters not installed in our houses Apartments. All over Europe the houses/ Apartments have the meter inside the dwelling. This is due to the fact that most houses lose a lot of water through the underground pipes. The meter within the house gives a true reading of the water used

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has addressed earlier, but why are the meters not installed in our houses Apartments. All over Europe the houses/ Apartments have the meter inside the dwelling. This is due to the fact that most houses lose a lot of water through the underground pipes. The meter within the house gives a true reading of the water used

Would that cause disruption/damage inside the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

Would that cause disruption/damage inside the house?

It would significantly add to the expense of the installation too.

Could those meters be read without accessing the appartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Private company would have no right to enter your house either to install or read it. That's why the electric meter is a box on your outside wall.
    Also imagine the uproar(rightly so) if they did put it inside and it leaked wrecking someone's house.

Apartments will not be metered during phase 1 of the meter installation programme, therefore apartments will be issued with an unmetered bill.

Irish Water is currently looking at options for further phases of the metering programme. Apartments will be a part of this analysis.
    Meters can be read by a 'drive by' method rather than by an individual visit by a meter reader. This means we won't need to enter your property to take a reading and we can read them more efficiently
    http://www.water.ie/billing-and-metering/metering-explained/

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    Private company would have no right to enter your house either to install or read it. That's why the electric meter is a box on your outside wall.
    Also imagine the uproar(rightly so) if they did put it inside and it leaked wrecking someone's house.

Hi, most electric meters, in fact all are inside the houses in my area and require you to be there so the meter can be read. This is why ESB are rolling out digital meters in our area these will be read through broadband or remotely.

The meter is only measuring the volume of water used and does not dictate the flow so I dont think a leak would be an issue etc.

In relation to cost, it would probably cost less than public liability insuring, digging up all the footpaths in the area than installing a meter closer to the house.

The meter could be installed just inside your door or on the front of the house much like my electricity.

In countries like Spain for instance all the Gas, Electricity and Water Meters are inside the house and apartments.

The reason I would prefer this? My house is 40 Years old and the pipe between the Meter and house, my be cracked or leaking? The county council have no intention of checking this, so the reading of water I use may not be the same that I receive.

I know it sounds maybe pedantic, and I actually have no problem paying for my water as long as I get what I am paying for

• Registered Users Posts: 68,765 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ESB no longer allow new internal meters - them being installed indoors on old installs doesn't count for much. Spanish utility firms are not the most competent either to be comparing to.

The reason I would prefer this? My house is 40 Years old and the pipe between the Meter and house, my be cracked or leaking? The county council have no intention of checking this, so the reading of water I use may not be the same that I receive.

I know it sounds maybe pedantic, and I actually have no problem paying for my water as long as I get what I am paying for

The County Council would say - Why should they be responsible for leaks that occur on your property, it's not their problem it's yours.

brian_t wrote: »
    The County Council would say - Why should they be responsible for leaks that occur on your property, it's not their problem it's yours.

Right so you can see the reason I would prefer the meter within the house?

Spanish firms not being competent? Right throughout Europe meters are within the dwelling.

Anyway, as much as I would prefer that its not going to happen, so lets move on

MYOB wrote: »
    ESB no longer allow new internal meters - them being installed indoors on old installs doesn't count for much. Spanish utility firms are not the most competent either to be comparing to.

Mine was installed not so long ago? Is there any literature on that or a link I would like to look into it thanks

• Advertisement

Mine was installed not so long ago? Is there any literature on that or a link I would like to look into it thanks

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/downloads/metering_specification_rev_9.pdf

A replacement != a new install.

brian_t has provided the requirements for new meters.

Hmmm mine is inside the porch went in before I bought the place, will get onto them so. Thank for the link

I see 2005 on the Doc, must have been before that, pheeew, anyway way off topic, apologies folks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Does anyone know if they are allowed block access to your house? I can't get into my driveway as they have cordoned it off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ours is inside our house,wish it was not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

mcgovern wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they are allowed block access to your house? I can't get into my driveway as they have cordoned it off.

They did in Meadowbrook they even blocked cars in,I would tell them you need access or remove te barricades.

mcgovern wrote: »

They did in Silken Vale as well. Would be needed if it hasn't set yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They did in Meadowbrook they even blocked cars in,I would tell them you need access or remove te barricades.

Unfortunately they also left a massive uncovered hole. Part of my road is completely inaccessible at the moment, and because there are so many driveways blocked, there is no parking anywhere.
    Crazy.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Ours is inside our house,wish it was not.

Your house is as old as mine though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

I live in an appartment block, will there be an individual meter for each appartment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Your house is as old as mine though ;)
    what happened with all the cars covered in dust when your estate was done, some of them looked like they had being in a quarry

guil wrote: »
    what happened with all the cars covered in dust when your estate was done, some of them looked like they had being in a quarry

A shower of rain will sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

A shower of rain will sort that out.
    it was about 6 weeks ago and would you like your car covered in heavy dust and be told sure a shower of rain will sort it.

it was about 6 weeks ago and would you like your car covered in heavy dust and be told sure a shower of rain will sort it.

Well in all honesty I probably would have washed it if it was that bad. In the part of my estate people generally moved their cars out of the way while the work was going on.

None of ours were it was just the road,they also did not black access here as the stopcock is between the houses.

I live in an appartment block, will there be an individual meter for each appartment ?

Not yet anyway.

See post #96 on page 7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

My estate is getting done this week. It looks like everybody's drives were blocked on another road when i went to work monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

This crowd arrived on my road (in Celbridge) on Tuesday. They've got every driveway blocked, some since they arrived, and they wont be unblocked tonight. I had to report one of the clowns for driving a van and trailer around on the green. In fairness, GMC rang back apologising, saying unfortunately the "driver" wasn't able to get back out without doing the rally-track performance. They left one house with no mains water after they left last night, without checking before they packed up.

Their work seems tidy enough though, and they haven't left any piles of rubble or mess anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

Where abouts in Celbridge are you? I'm living here too, haven't heard anything yet about my meter!

Advertisement