Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

I'm in wolstan haven, I believe they're currently in ballygoran and Patricks park as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

kja1888 wrote: »
    I'm in wolstan haven, I believe they're currently in ballygoran and Patricks park as well

Dara Court as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

How long do they have the driveways blocked off? I was dropping someone off in Wolstan the other day and it was difficult all right to turn the car to come back up the cul de sac, even though it was only the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Some I've seen done in the morning, and open again before 5. Others I've seen are blocked overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nearly every house on my road was blocked from ~8am till the same time the next morning. No notification of when they started cutting so if your car was trapped, it was stuck there. Had a good moan at Irish Water and another at a GMC foreman about that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

MYOB wrote: »
    Nearly every house on my road was blocked from ~8am till the same time the next morning. No notification of when they started cutting so if your car was trapped, it was stuck there. Had a good moan at Irish Water and another at a GMC foreman about that!

Do they let the homeowner know when they are going to install it?

No sign of them coming around here yet but the water yoke in front of my place is totally buried so not sure what will happen there.

Do they let the homeowner know when they are going to install it?

No sign of them coming around here yet but the water yoke in front of my place is totally buried so not sure what will happen there.

Got two leaflets, one with a date scrawled on it but they seem to assume that if your car is there when they arrive - often before people go to work - you want it left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Well the shower left a note in to say they were doing ours weeks ago , wife got up at 6am on day to leave out car etc and not a sign of them
    near us since ...No way they should need to be blocking people in their houses (overnight) if they had an ounce of respect / common sense . The irony was far from lost on me when I heard they called round to ask could they use our outdoor tap/hose...

They seemed to skip a few houses here where the stopcock was on the driveway rather than the path; and which also had asphalt or bricked drives. Believe they've a different team for non-concrete repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hey folks,

Ours was done 2 weeks ago and whilst the note says that it is a 2 hour procedure, it took 2 days!?

Was up at the sister in laws and for some reason all the houses in they're estate are having issues with raised water pressure, washing machines leaking and central heating boilers also leaking??

When our area was done, the workmen had to come back because of some mistake made next door and the house at the end had theyre phone line cut whilst the meters were being fitted also!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The meters themselves are not actually in they have only put the equipment in so that they can add the meters in easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

If I'm blocked in I'll simply move the barriers, drive out and replace the barriers for pedestrian safety. If the hole in the concrete is too deep to drive over I'll lay said barriers over the hole and drive over it and then replace them. Shoddy management and planning on the state's part will not inconvenience me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

Danpad wrote: »
    If I'm blocked in I'll simply move the barriers, drive out and replace the barriers for pedestrian safety. If the hole in the concrete is too deep to drive over I'll lay said barriers over the hole and drive over it and then replace them. Shoddy management and planning on the state's part will not inconvenience me.

That's what I did, the hole is only around 2 feet square, so it was easy enough to remove the barriers and drive off. There was no way I was leaving my car on the road overnight, especially as all the other cars were out of the driveways and needing to turn around outside my house.

The meters are in but not activated.

Danpad wrote: »

The barriers are fairly crappy plastic, they won't bear the weight of a car; but a decent bit of wood will.

Has anybody else taken a good look at the meters?

Had a look last night with a neighbour. Man are they cheap and nasty looking, cheap looking plastic and the stop valve on it uses a plastic extension onto the cheap plastic valve.

I would seriously doubt theyre ability to withstand a good proper winter, in fact I do not see how they would survive the conditions we had 3 years ago.

If they can't handle a really cold spell, how long would it take to have a repair team come and replace it?

If we have a severe winter, how many repair teams will they have?

Kinda worried about my water supply now! Especially as we don't want these things.

Also if it breaks, who funds a replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

My estate was done in Celbridge last week.
    They usually start 7:30 am and go on all day.
    Parking is a nightmare while they are doing it.
    And don't do what I did on my day off, wondered downstairs in flimsy pj's and nearly flashed the workmen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    And don't do what I did on my day off, wondered downstairs in flimsy pj's and nearly flashed the workmen :D

Nearly never does it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

...Man are they cheap and nasty looking, cheap looking plastic and the stop valve on it uses a plastic extension onto the cheap plastic valve.

And how much do we have to pay for them €500 each + 20 years interest charges on it wasn't it? someone is making a killing.

Has anyone got any photos of a finished street - Id like to know what finish I've got to look forward to...
    ta.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Has anyone got any photos of a finished street - Id like to know what finish I've got to look forward to...
    ta.

You will have a square of new concrete with a smallish manhole cover in it. Nothing huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

You will have a square of new concrete with a smallish manhole cover in it. Nothing huge.

But is there any photos - concrete colour match? concrete finished well and even?

Not that there's anything I can do - but I'm interested in how much if any a mess of the path/road these guys leave behind.

“Roll it back”

Concrete is finished fine and matched, colour match is impossible to tell when its new as new concrete is white and 1972 concrete, well, isn't. It may or may not match after a year or so.

You can hardly 'colour match' new and old. The elements will take care of that over time. Finish is good and can say in my estate that there is zero evidence that they were here apart from the 'new' concrete!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The finish is fairly good generally but I do notice some of the cement finishes are not flush with the footpath level and are like a mini ramp providing a trip possibility. I am only reporting on what I've witnessed in Abbey Farm estate in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Bulmers on Ice

Out of my road all except one house is done?? The valve like everyone else is on the path. The sprayed where they were going to cut and blocked it off with the barriers same as my house and then didn't do anything to my neighbours?? The barriers were removed the next day from his house with nothing done and everyone else has the meter fitted. I'm baffled by this. Why would one house look like it was about to be done and then left alone?
    Haven't seen the neighbour sine to ask him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They may have asked for it not to be installed or maybe there was an issue with theirs,I remember them coming back to do 1 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

They're starting their rounds here in Naas now, say it wont be long now till they claim my street!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Strange the water meter installs seemed to have stopped.

They did half our estate 2 weeks ago , but then disappeared .

Wonder if they have been told to stop because of the water problems , although it's not effecting us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I saw them working on Doctor's Lane in Maynooth earlier today.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to where they're working, which is quite odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I saw them working on Doctor's Lane in Maynooth earlier today.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to where they're working, which is quite odd.

A plan doesn't always follow a regular pattern :)

Advertisement