Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meters

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Had ours done yesterday and today water in cold tap in kitchen is terrible its dribbling out the hot tap is flying out though! Would this have anything to do with what they were doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Previous to the installation you probably had the outside stopcock throttled to only allow low water pressure to the mains feeding your house. Now with no throttling and extra pressure it is showing up a weakness with your taps so I wouldn't really blame the new meter installation.

Joe Public wrote: »
    Previous to the installation you probably had the outside stopcock throttled to only allow low water pressure to the mains feeding your house. Now with no throttling and extra pressure it is showing up a weakness with your taps so I wouldn't really blame the new meter installation.

Would you say I'd have to get a plumber in so Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Would you say I'd have to get a plumber in so Joe?

Not a plumber but doesnt hot water pressure come(depending on installation) from the storage tank of hot water high up in your house - so that might be why the hot still has pressure.
    But the direct cold incoming is now restricted by the new meter and so is lower?

Know almost nothing little about plumbing but i wouldnt pay for a plumber to fix as it sounds like they broke it and should make it right.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Had ours done yesterday and today water in cold tap in kitchen is terrible its dribbling out the hot tap is flying out though! Would this have anything to do with what they were doing?

Go outside and lift the cover. There is a tap under it that turns either 90 or 180 degrees. It might not be fully open. Joe got your question the wrong way around.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Go outside and lift the cover. There is a tap under it that turns either 90 or 180 degrees. It might not be fully open. Joe got your question the wrong way around.

You'd be doing well to fully understand the question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

So, you didn't understand the question? It's simple. The OP has decreased water pressure and wants to know if it has anything to do with the meter installation. IMO it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to make. If the OP "had the outside stopcock throttled to only allow low water pressure to the mains feeding your house" I'm pretty sure she would have experienced issues before now.

Ok I understand the Q now, the lack of punctuation threw me off. It looks like they have not allowed enough water pressure towards the house mains feed, maybe the valve in the new outside box needs adjusting or the system is badly air locked. Does the info leaflet that gets dropped into each house before the cut-over not give details of where to contact if your water does not flow properly afters?. If water is not going to the tank in the attic then all water in the house will stop once the tank is emptied.

Thanks guys yes the info leaflet has the number I will ring them on Monday! Thank you all for the replys sorry if my messages were hard to understand! Was just in a panic when I realised it would take 10 mins to fill the kettle! :)

Thanks guys yes the info leaflet has the number I will ring them on Monday! Thank you all for the replys sorry if my messages were hard to understand! Was just in a panic when I realised it would take 10 mins to fill the kettle! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

Did you try what guil suggested in post #37. It might save you waiting til Monday.

brian_t wrote: »
    Did you try what guil suggested in post #37. It might save you waiting til Monday.

Hey Brian god I wouldn't even know
    Where to start with that! Sounds really hard! I'm working all weekend so I can last till Monday

brian_t wrote: »

Hey Brian god I wouldn't even know
    Where to start with that! Sounds really hard! I'm working all weekend so I can last till Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irish Water / Sierra work Saturdays from what I've seen. Pretty sure they called me back on a Saturday during my issues with them too.

I suggest you ring them twice in a row on Monday :)

After my coffee Joe! ;)

After my coffee Joe! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Strange the water meter installs seemed to have stopped.

They did half our estate 2 weeks ago , but then disappeared .

Wonder if they have been told to stop because of the water problems , although it's not effecting us.

Ok , mystery may have been solved , apparently a sub-contractor has not been paid so they have walked off the job ( allegedly ) .

It was very odd , they were working around our estate road by road , then overnight just disappeared leaving about 2 and a half roads untouched .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

They have started in our estate.
    No one got any booklet in the post.
    One whole street was blocked off - people had to park around the corner.

If you have a complaint, who do you contact ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

foodaholic wrote: »
    They have started in our estate.
    No one got any booklet in the post.
    One whole street was blocked off - people had to park around the corner.

If you have a complaint, who do you contact ?

Irish Water. They do follow up on complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They were in Prosperous last Thursday/Friday.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Has anyone got a meter fitted where either Tarmac or cobble lock had to be taken up? They were in our estate about 2 months ago, but left 7 houses alone that had cobble lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd like to remind folks that the purpose of this thread is to discuss the roll out of the water meters within the county, and the practical implications. If you want to debate the greater issues around Irish Water, etc, please do so in the more appropriate fora.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Soo - what you think about the quality of the finish...?

We had ours done last month - the hole they dug was smaller than the first ones I saw - and smaller than what was marked out - so thats good.

concrete is a different colour(im not convinced it will fade) - some in our road had a cone placed on them so a few are cross patterned with the underside of the traffic cone :)

Mine has small corner gaps left where the circular saw cut the path but were not filled in - hopefully this will not be an issue when frost comes - doesnt frost break up concrete when it expands inside a small gap?

“Roll it back”

Advertisement