Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batten down the hatches - Storm warning 1/8/13

• 31-07-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Although this is not a direct pet issue, I thought I would post this to let you know of the storm warning for tomorrow as many of our furry friends are outdoors. Now the chances are only 5% - 15% of this happening but I will be keeping my two little babies in all day just in case.

European Storm Forecasters has issued a warning of a severe storm that may hit Ireland tomorrow, with heavy rain, lightning, flash flooding and they have even used the word Tornadoes.
    European storm forecasters are predicting tornadoes may hit Ireland tomorrow.

The European Storm Forecast Experiment known as ESTOFEX, is forecasting heavy rain, severe wind gusts, tornadoes and the possibility of a large hail event.

Tornado Warning for Ireland - RTE News

http://www.estofex.org/

Take care everyone, hopefully it will not happen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Met Eireann previously had posted a Yellow warning on this matter, they have now upgraded this to Orange.

Met Eireann National Weather Warnings
    How are the Weather Warnings categorised?

Weather Warnings are presented in three categories:
    STATUS YELLOW - Weather Alert - Be Aware

The concept behind YELLOW level weather alerts is to notify those who are at risk because of their location and/or activity, and to allow them to take preventative action. It is implicit that YELLOW level weather alerts are for weather conditions that do not pose an immediate threat to the general population, but only to those exposed to risk by nature of their location and/or activity.

STATUS ORANGE - Weather Warning - Be Prepared

This category of ORANGE level weather warnings is for weather conditions which have the capacity to impact significantly on people in the affected areas. The issue of an Orange level weather warning implies that all recipients in the affected areas should prepare themselves in an appropriate way for the anticipated conditions.

STATUS RED - Severe Weather Warning - Take Action

The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties; this could be by moving their families out of the danger zone temporarily; by staying indoors; or by other specific actions aimed at mitigating the effects of the weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

Thanks for that! I've got two bunnies outside in big runs so I'm glad I found out.

Lamina wrote: »
    Thanks for that! I've got two bunnies outside in big runs so I'm glad I found out.

So the title "Batten down the Hatches" is quite appropriate for you. Joking aside, hope it not too bad but even now (and I am on the East Coast) the satellite is suffering some serious interruptions. Let's hope the weather men got it wrong. Forewarned is forearmed, and in my eyes better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FionnOh

That's my tomatoes ****ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Dogs are inside anyway, just worried about the horse ...

• Advertisement

Dogs are inside anyway, just worried about the horse ...

Does not look like you are in one of the bad areas anyway, down south and the west seem to be getting the brunt of it although just very heavy rain up to now. Not seeing any of it on the east cost from Meath down so far.

This is the online rainfall raidar with Met Eireann shows what is happening over a few hours.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

brrabus wrote: »
    Does not look like you are in one of the bad areas anyway, down south and the west seem to be getting the brunt of it although just very heavy rain up to now. Not seeing any of it on the east cost from Meath down so far.

This is the online rainfall raidar with Met Eireann shows what is happening over a few hours.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Seems to be just missing me, thank heavens, the dogs hate storms!

FionnOh wrote: »
    That's my tomatoes ****ed

Drive them to Dublin, they will be grand :)

Glorious sunshine here in Meath at the moment but just heard on the radio that people in Kerry are presently building Arks. :D

And god love all those hats at the Galway races today, what a day for Ladies Day. Such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Was just about to go out the door with the dog when we got a call that a sheep was stuck in the lake. After pulling the idiot out it lashed out of the heavens here. It's raining so hard it's difficult to see out the window. Dog walk will have to wait a bit.

Still no sign of tornados mind you :)

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Was just about to go out the door with the dog when we got a call that a sheep was stuck in the lake. After pulling the idiot out it lashed out of the heavens here. It's raining so hard it's difficult to see out the window. Dog walk will have to wait a bit.

Still no sign of tornados mind you :)

Where are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Sligo, very heavy rain the last hour and a half. Can see out the window now mind you :)

Wow, well guess they were not wrong. Salthill, Galway. Kind of glad I live in the east.

Small tornado off Galway coast as storms forecast - RTE News

0007af81-642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FionnOh

brrabus wrote: »
    Drive them to Dublin, they will be grand :)

Glorious sunshine here in Meath at the moment but just heard on the radio that people in Kerry are presently building Arks. :D

And god love all those hats at the Galway races today, what a day for Ladies Day. Such a shame.

In the twilight zone here; currently googling 'Outdoor UV lights'.. :(

Advertisement