Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high chairs

Options
  • 31-07-2013 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I need to buy a high chair for my 24 week baby soon. I'm considering the cosatto 3 sixti circle chair but it doesn't recline much and I've been told by friends that having a high chair with a good recline is really important but I'm not sure why. Do babies sleep in their high chair or is there another reason why a reclining highchair is important?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Definitely get one with a good recliner. When they get older it can be very handy for drinking with a cup as you can tilt them back when teaching them. (before they learn to tilt the cup)

Also handy for when they are tired and fancy a rest but it's nor suitable for them to have a full nap. For example my middle child would sometimes sit in his highchair about 5ish and watch some telly with his older brother when he's tired but i don't want him to nap that close to bed time.

Also, try and get one with wheels. Much easier to move around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I got a high chair from Ikea Eur 14 until I decided which fancy highchair to buy. But I actually kept the Ikea one and bought one for both grannies houses.

My SIL got rid of her fancy Cossato one and bought an Ikea one too - she found it too difficult to clean.

My LO would never sleep in a highchair so thats prob why the Ikea one suits us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

for us, a big tray was important so they can play or even try to feed themselves without everything always landing on the floor. Didnt realise how important that would become (at least for us...;-))

Got a pretty wooden chair initially, but there was only a tiny tray, and it had way too many nooks n crannies, so food would dry in and it was a witch to clean.

Also look out for a decent 'holding in place' system - our little devil managed to break open the velcro straps on same wooden chair and almost slid to the floor...

I don't think I would ever leave my child to sleep in a high chair, but that's just me.

Just realised I forgot to say (thanks LittleMy, you reminded me ;-)) - we also got a booster seat with a tray - for the same reasons ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

I had a Cosatto one - it reclined but I don't think I used the recline on it once. I can't think of any time when I wanted him to nap in the highchair. I got rid of it pretty quickly as it was a nightmare to clean and it took up way to much room both open and when folded.

Swapped it pretty quickly for a booster seat which attaches on to a regular chair, much easier to clean, easier for baby to be at the table and takes up less room. Still using it now at 2 just at the table without the tray, and I imagine we will get another year out of it at least.

As for the tilting the cup thing get a Doidy cup - my boy never had a sippy cup just went from doidy cup to regular plastic beakers/cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We have the IKEA antilop. It does the job, she sits in it to eat and is out for playtime. I might put her in it with a few toys while i'm cooking for half an hour. Easy to clean and can be packed away very easily.

I don't see the point of a recline or other fancy functions. My in laws have a bells and whistles high chair and I hate it, she never sits properly in it as she's tilted slightly back, and its a curse to clean with padding and nooks and crannies. A child should be able to sit up straight to eat and drink in a high chair, and I don't see why you'd recline a child to teach them to drink? We handed ours a sippy cup with a lid and she figured it out.

I would never put a child to sleep in a high chair. I want her to associate the high chair with mealtimes. Cots or the buggy if we're out are where she sleeps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

+ 1 on Ikea chair - we also said to ourselves to buy it till we get a "nicer" one, but for now (last 4 months!) we just use it till he outgrows it I think

and wherever we go, all restaurants/hotels so far had it, so our LO feels at home when eating out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

we have a reclining one, but have never once reclined it. It is a fancy cosatto one but bought it second hand for e40..dont live near an ikea but like here i have only heard good things about their highchairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

Ikea antilop, some yoke for the price. Kicks the arse off every high chair in the known universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I got a booster type one in mothercare which has a detachable large tray. This turned out to be fantastic as we did blw and we just put the food on the tray at the start. We didn't have space for a high chair and the booster chair was perfect. It's all plastic so when it gets too dirty I stick it in the shower and hose it down.

It cost about €30 and we'll be using again in 3 months times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I got one of those fancy pants one... Was quite expensive. I think it's a Chicco one... I hate it! Has all these recline functions etc etc... Worst waste of money. Its heavy, awkward and impossible to clean. My LO is nearly 9 months now and I've never once used the recline function. Mum got a Chicco one to have at her house which was half the price. I think €50 new. It's so much simpler, easy to clean, lighter... And just all round better. It has a recline aswell... But again... That function just hasn't been used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We got this one second hand for €50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ_jvf0geOU

A really sturdy chair

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have something like this:

http://www.mothercare.com/Chicco-Polly-Highchair---Happyland/562543,default,pd.html

It survived the first child and now my daughter is using it. It's nothing spectacular but I like it because of adjustable height. When they are older you can use it as a table chair but you need quite a bit of space. It's a reclining chair but I never change the settings and it's never used for much more than feeding. I find different settings for legs/feet handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

meeeeh wrote: »
    I have something like this:

http://www.mothercare.com/Chicco-Polly-Highchair---Happyland/562543,default,pd.html

It survived the first child and now my daughter is using it. It's nothing spectacular but I like it because of adjustable height. When they are older you can use it as a table chair but you need quite a bit of space. It's a reclining chair but I never change the settings and it's never used for much more than feeding. I find different settings for legs/feet handy.

We just bought something like this second hand for €30. Looks like it was never used. There is a huge basket underneath was important for us as we have a small house. It holds all his bibs, little toys etc.

BTW I just throw padding in to washing machine to get rid of the more annoying dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Have a chico one. Has a basket underneath wgich i kept all her bids in in the begining but when she started feeding herself i had to take it off as so much food was landing in it. It reclines but its never used. It has a padded seat which can be annoying to clean ariund the edges. Must see can it come off for a proper cleaning.
    Also have a booster for her nanas which is brill. I think she nearly prefers the booster as she is sitting at the table like everyone else.

Mine does. Once you get the knack of it it's fairly easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I got the Ikea antilop for the mother in laws house, but I've kicked it over twice (caught the baby thank feck)! Those legs on it stick out a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

The recline makes so sense to me, if anything it's dangerous especially when starting out, if you have it reclined and have a child that is not so confident or good with food it seems like a big choking risk to me. I got a lovely wooden one the same as the Tripp trapp but cheaper, coverts to a chair for older child, tray is removable and we push it right up to the table

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

I have one similar to Meeeeh but I think its called Polly magic and its suitable from birth. Was useless in that regard for the first (bought too late) but fantastic for the second. Kept her out of reach from her older sister and from the dog! Also as she had reflux found the recline great for letting her sit up and food settle after a meal. Left her sleeping in it once but usually transfer her to cot when she dozes off. Easy to clean and like others, love the big tray on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Ikea one here too.
    We had some fancier one with padding and all that but it's too much hassle to keep clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

We have a tripp trapp and love it. We bought the tray that sticks to your table so that baby eats with us.

We only use it for eating and don't leave her in it to play or anything, but it's great for our needs.

Oh, I don't see the point of a recline either

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

+1 for the tripp trapp.
    that's what we'll get once baby is big enough. I was raised with one myself, and my mum still has it and uses it as her desk chair... I love the way it grows with the child, as you can adjust the height of the seat and foot rest. Not cheap, but a good investment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

We used a mamas and papas juice and I would recommend that. Easy to clean and you can shorten the legs to convert it into a little chair when they don't need a highchair anymore.

I must live a sheltered life because I've actually never heard of a highchair having a recline! I can't imagine why you would need that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I have the cosatto 360 and we love it. Used it from 6 months up when we started blw. Tray is big, no issue with cleaning as it all easily come apart. I like the fact the height is adjustable because now that she's older, 1, we put it lower, take tray off and she sits in at the table with us. Means she's getting used to eating at the table and moving to a normal chair when the next arrives should be easier

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

Thanks for all the replies. It's really helped in my decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

HI, I have the Cosatto 3 sixty and love it. We don't have a lot of space and it's brilliant as you don't trip over it when walking by.

I was never bothered about the recline!

addob

PS got it from inhealth . ie and they provide a 10% discount at the end of the month for users!

Advertisement