Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Baggage Fee

Options
  • 01-08-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey all.

I've been sitting on this since the other day and kinda needed to vent.
    Sunday evening, after a very long day in Germany (my girlfriend dumped me Saturday night) I was going to the airport with my bag and a few extra things I had to bring home in my hand luggage. I was coming through Frankfurt Hahn, just past security when a guy stood out in front of me and asked me to weigh my bag, first time ever in 3 and a half years travelling back and forth, and of course, in the high season. I was 4kg over the carry on weight, 14kg, and he asked me for 60euro. I tried to explain, obviously very upset and while explaining the situation he first asked
    "where is your girlfriend"
    and
    "if you want to go back out and take 4kg out and come back through that'd be fine" I explained to him I had my camera equipment & laptop in the bag, 1 pair of shorts and a tshirt as well as my dress suit (shot a wedding while I was there).

Anyway he was having none of it and demanded the 60euro, of course I had to pay, ignoring the fact that the flight cost me 150euro originally. I know the restriction is there but come on, 4kg, BUT this is where I get really pissed off. While I was getting my money for him, a rather large, lets say, rotund man, American, walks in wearing what I can only describe as a tent, weighs his bag, 10kg on the nose, and walks off, not a word spoken. I'm a modest 10.5stone, this man was at LEAST twice my weight, plus 10kg as carry on. Where is the fairness here. I actually ended up sitting next to this man on the plane and he (honest, hand on heart) spilled into the seat next to him.

Peoples weight should be taken into account when it comes to flying if they are going to be so picky about weight. I lifted 4kg today when I went into the gym, it is nothing, carry on should be max 15kg, thats acceptable. Worst part is, in all my years travelling I never once went over the weight limit and the one time I do, I get caught out, yes thats always how it happens but the plane didn't crash, we didn't run low on fuel and we were 35minutes early landing.

Ok off my chest and anyone who wants can post for or against my point.

I'm fully aware of the grand balancing act required to keep a plane in the air, weight issues etc, but for the sake of 4kg I was out 210euro for a flight that once cost me 32euro...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Bottom line is there is no maximum passenger weight but there is a maximum hand baggage weight, which you were over. Sorry OP, sounds like a tough weekend and the last thing you needed at the end of it but rules are rules. You clicked that you accepted those at time of booking and so you are bound by them.

Baggage charges aren't about weight, they are about income generation. Fairness doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fúck sake op, rules are rules. I can't believe you actually took the time to create this thread.

There are reasons why Ryanair call themselves the 'no frills airline'. Tough shít. You chose when booking your flight the maximum bag weight for yourself and you went over it.

Your fault.

Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

and just heard this evening on the radio, that they are going up with immediate effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

callaway92 wrote: »
    Fúck sake op, rules are rules. I can't believe you actually took the time to create this thread.

There are reasons why Ryanair call themselves the 'no frills airline'. Tough shít. You chose when booking your flight the maximum bag weight for yourself and you went over it.

Your fault.

Move on.

Cant believe you took the time to reply yet put nothing useful in your comment. But I know your right, I just wanted to make the point is all, like I said, to vent, I understand it was my fault, not entirely my fault but for the most part. Plus its the internet and I can post whatever I want, I've seen way more inane posts around here, so, why not. Its something that bothered me, therefore I posted.

I always stay below the limit, it was just such bad timing to get caught with it, like I said, never once got weighed the entire time I've flown in and out of that airport. I've also flown with several other carriers and seen weights go up as far as 23-25kg for carry on, but so far the lowest have both been Ryanair and I think EasyJet. I just find it crazy (and I'm not the only one) that people of a heavier weight, can carry on the same as me with no issue. I'm not picking on them, but weight is weight right? But yeah its about making money in the end.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    and just heard this evening on the radio, that they are going up with immediate effect.

Of course, O'Leary really respects the opinion and feedback of his passangers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Edg3 wrote: »
    I just find it crazy (and I'm not the only one) that people of a heavier weight, can carry on the same as me with no issue. I'm not picking on them, but weight is weight right? But yeah its about making money in the end.

No you're not the only one but think of it this way. I'm 5"1', weigh less than 8 stone - so don't make anything like the weight contribution to the weight of the plane that larger people do. BUT we all get the same seat choice on a Ryanair flight, in theory I get comfort and they don't. It's all relative ;)

I do wish Ryanair would go down the path of the airline they're modelled on, SouthWest in the US. They make larger people buy two seats and refund the second seat if the flight isn't full. SouthWest isn't the flight long selling experience either, and they do zoned boarding depending on when you checked in.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    No you're not the only one but think of it this way. I'm 5"1', weigh less than 8 stone - so don't make anything like the weight contribution to the weight of the plane that larger people do. BUT we all get the same seat choice on a Ryanair flight, in theory I get comfort and they don't. It's all relative ;)

I do wish Ryanair would go down the path of the airline they're modelled on, SouthWest in the US. They make larger people buy two seats and refund the second seat if the flight isn't full. SouthWest isn't the flight long selling experience either, and they do zoned boarding depending on when you checked in.

I'm only 5"6 so yeah I know what you're saying. I flew once out of Frankfurt Mahn and the large American next to me told me he had to pay for both seats so I wasn't allowed sit in the one next to him, he sat next the window and the middle seat was "taken". I'm not trying to discriminate against people of a heavier persuasion, I used to be 16stone myself, but when they make it out like its down to weight, and you see someone who could easily fit you inside them and have room for one more you have to wonder. I know I had to pay, I'm not disputing that in any way, nor am I saying it was unfair to charge me for being over, my point was that weight it weight, whether its in my suitcase or on my body. If I'd put my laptop under my jacket and weighed my bag, they'd never have known, but I was upset and caught off-guard so I didn't think quickly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Edg3 wrote: »
    I've been sitting on this since the other day and kinda needed to vent.

...said the rotund Yank in 21D. :pac:

fat-airline_2107136b.jpg

Yamanoto wrote: »
    ...said the rotund Yank in 21D. :pac:

fat-airline_2107136b.jpg

Thats basically what happened, and thank you that really cheered me up :D

Advertisement