Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value phone for low intensity user?

Options
  • 01-08-2013 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm currently looking to buy my first smartphone. Here's what I'm mainly looking for:

1. Decent amount of space (I want to be able to hold a lot of music), or an SD card slot.
    2. Standard functions (Maps, GPS, etc.)
    3. Low-Mid range price point (€100-€300)
    4. Smaller size.
    5. Good battery life a plus.
    6. Android.

With my current phone I am a very low intensity user, I mostly use it to receive calls, and I would rate my current yearly bills at LESS then €100. I do not want to be hooked onto any kind of expensive bill pay plan, as I am mostly looking for offline functionality. Likewise, I do not want to sign any contracts that would entail any long term commitments.

However, if I was able to access the internet for consistent low bandwidth use, that would be nice (I am mostly looking to be able to check email and bus times).

I'd like plenty of space, but I imagine an SD card slot would be just as good, as I want to be able to listen to music while at work (in fact, it's a big reason I'm upgrading, my MP3 player broke on me). I don't care much about screen resolution, or if the processor is particularly amazing, I have never had much interest in mobile gaming, videos or other such intensive applications (I have gaming rig for my entertainment needs ;)). Likewise, the camera doesn't really matter to me either.

I'm fairly tech savvy, so I don't mind having to work through unlocking or other inconveniences.

I'm currently on O2, but quite willing to switch. 48 looked like it had good value, as for €10 a month I doubt I'd ever go over their listed limits. But any pay as you go plan that allows for consistent low level usage would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

I'll just chime in with the Huawei y300. I picked it up for €99 from eMobile and I'm hugely impressed with it so far. I came from a Sony Xperia P (over twice the price brand new, btw).

1. Decent amount of space (I want to be able to hold a lot of music), or an SD card slot.
    It comes with 4 gig, 2 for the user but it can take up to 32 gigs with a card.
    2. Standard functions (Maps, GPS, etc.)
    Yup. Standard, like.
    3. Low-Mid range price point (€100-€300)
    €99 from Meteor/eMobile. I got mine unlocked via ebay from a guy on Modaco for €5. I'm on Tesco now.
    4. Smaller size.
    Insert generic penis joke. More importantly, it's got a 4 inch screen which I can comfortably hold in my hand. It's about the size of an iPhone.
    5. Good battery life a plus.
    I'm easily getting a day out of it with internets running thanks to its 1950 mAh battery.
    6. Android.
    Yup. Running Jelly Bean 4.1

Advertisement