Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin from London

Options
  • 01-08-2013 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

London Calling!

Just doing a bit of research for my girlfriend. Ok, background.

A friend of my girlfriend from London has got a 6 month contract to work in Dublin starting next week. He will be coming with his boyfriend and they have acquired some temporary accommodation (flat) in Rathmines for a couple of weeks until they get settled.

Firstly, although he (the bloke with job) is coming to a waiting employment position, his fella is not. Furthermore, this guy's partner is Thai, and my Girlfriend has mentioned his English is a little ropey. How do you thing he'll find it in Dublin?

Although i'm from Dublin myself, i have not lived there for 18 years. So i guess i'm asking on her behalf, how would the land lie for a gay, obvious immigrant?

Racism? homophobia? i suppose are the questions.

He does bar work here in London. How easy is it to get bar work back home these days? (though i know he'll struggle with the accent thing, i still do, with with some o' the skangers i bump into when i visit)

i have told her/them Rathmines is a good spot to start, anywhere they should think about living after the two weeks? (your man's job is on abbey street, so very central)

Also, what's the gay scene like in Dublin these days? When i lived there it was strictly The George off Dame st.

it's 3.33am, this is probably all fuckin; worded arseways.

but any input would be appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Only moved from London to Dublin myself last year. I wouldn't think they will have any problems with the landlord although I guess there are still probably one or two idiots knocking around renting places out who might take exception. You will always get the odd person who sees fit to abuse people for whatever reason it doesn't matter whether its because they are gay, straight, white, black, wearing a blue shirt, are called Jeff etc hopefully not too much though. In terms of going out Panti Bar on Capel St seems to be pretty popular it seems to be busy every night!

Jobs seem tough to come by although with bar experience in London already then I would think that would be a big plus. I can't understand half the people in town either so I wouldn't worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't specifically mean would 'Landlords' take issue with their race or sexual orientation? More, just in general day to day life.

In saying that, i'm aware there are small minded idiots everywhere. I'm sure they'll be fine and will have a great time, but i understand the fear of the unknown thing.

I Remember before i moved to a London i had quite a few reservations and worries. 18 years later, never had any of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Lots & lots & lots of gay Asian (especially Thai & Filipino) men in Dublin these days (they are the 'type' of a very good friend so I tend to meet a lot of them) I think and I hope that your friends should meet very little rubbish from people (apart from the usual scummy suspects who will pick something about you to be abusive about no matter what) There is a large & pretty vibrant gay community in Dublin & things are a good bit different to the days when there really was only the George. A few of my gay friends would be members of leagues like

http://www.out2tennis.com/

which seem like a really good way to meet new gay friends when you first arrive in Dublin. Not that they should be limited to gay friends but it can be a really good way to become part of a community.

Workwise I'm not too sure how easy it is to get bar work but ropey English definitely will not help so that's possibly something to look into getting on top of.

Having said all of that, Dublin is still a city where it's flat out unusual to see 2 men holding hands/being affectionate outside of a gay bar or Pride. I'm not sure how it is in London but it might be something to watch out for (and it makes me seriously sad saying that) if they're trying to avoid homophobic abuse from bellends.

The Outhouse might be a good resource too

http://www.outhouse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

Lots & lots & lots of gay Asian (especially Thai & Filipino) men in Dublin these days (they are the 'type' of a very good friend so I tend to meet a lot of them) I think and I hope that your friends should meet very little rubbish from people (apart from the usual scummy suspects who will pick something about you to be abusive about no matter what) There is a large & pretty vibrant gay community in Dublin & things are a good bit different to the days when there really was only the George. A few of my gay friends would be members of leagues like

http://www.out2tennis.com/

which seem like a really good way to meet new gay friends when you first arrive in Dublin. Not that they should be limited to gay friends but it can be a really good way to become part of a community.

Workwise I'm not too sure how easy it is to get bar work but ropey English definitely will not help so that's possibly something to look into getting on top of.

Having said all of that, Dublin is still a city where it's flat out unusual to see 2 men holding hands/being affectionate outside of a gay bar or Pride. I'm not sure how it is in London but it might be something to watch out for (and it makes me seriously sad saying that) if they're trying to avoid homophobic abuse from bellends.

The Outhouse might be a good resource too

http://www.outhouse.ie/

Very informative and helpful post. Thank you so much.

Advertisement