Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making new friends through hobbies - cork city

Options
  • 01-08-2013 5:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi,

i know the title probably seems a little strange, but due to different circumstances, i find myself looking for some hobbies to get me out of the house and to help me make some friends.

i have a wide range of interests, but am somewhat physically challenged.

can anyone recommend any clubs or social groups that accept new members and where i won't feel like a complete plank walking in on my own? If i can learn a new skill then all the better. Any suggestions will be taken seriously. I'm relying on local knowledge here because not much shows up on the interner searches

kind regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Croaker

Boardgames might be a good hobby for yourself, now these are boardgames are a bit more complex than monopoly but are very easy to pick up. There is a board game evening every Tuesday in the Hub bar on Anglesea St, also there is a board game evening every second Monday in the Pavilion bar on Carey's Lane, it will be on next week. Myself and a few friends regularly play boardgames at each other's houses and several bars around Cork but my group is very welcoming and I have my own physical difficulties and the rest of the guys are very helpful. Give us a pm if you are interested and need further info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How about evening classes?

St johns is great hands-on stuff. From woodwork to painting, photography or dog training.

http://www.stjohnscollege.ie/evening-leisure-courses-autumn-2013/

Slightly more classroom based is the UCC ones.

I've done a couple of the short UCC ones, they are great fun, and the students will often keep in touch. I've done a few of the cork history ones, really enjoyed them.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/ace/courses/short/

If you are into gardening, cork garden club meets every month.

If you enjoy baking, Cork Sugarcraft Association meets and does good demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Thanks folks, boardgames didn't even occur to me to be honest! Thats a great tip.
    And evening class is also a wonderful idea. I must have a look at whats on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Riand101

Well how are you? What exactly are you looking to do on the social scene?? I find myself in a similar position only I'm looking to forge a kinda tight knit group of friends through common interests and hobbies?
    What exactly is your physical condition you refer to? If you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Riand101 wrote: »
    Well how are you? What exactly are you looking to do on the social scene?? I find myself in a similar position only I'm looking to forge a kinda tight knit group of friends through common interests and hobbies?
    What exactly is your physical condition you refer to? If you don't mind me asking?

some spinal injuries following a fall. Thankfully not needs a wheelchair or anything that severe, so i wouldn't be able to do anything too physical. Lots of my friends have moved or have families now, so i feel at a loose end at times. Would like to make some good friends. Just don't know how to go about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Riand101

some spinal injuries following a fall. Thankfully not needs a wheelchair or anything that severe, so i wouldn't be able to do anything too physical. Lots of my friends have moved or have families now, so i feel at a loose end at times. Would like to make some good friends. Just don't know how to go about it

Would you like to private mail me?

Advertisement