Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV for SKY GO

• 01-08-2013 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I am living in Oz and use the sky go out here from my account back home and want to buy apple tv, does anyone know if apple tv and sky go are compatabile to put image from laptop onto tv as my laptop doesnt have HDMI.?

Cheers
    Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Carter1986 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am living in Oz and use the sky go out here from my account back home and want to buy apple tv, does anyone know if apple tv and sky go are compatabile to put image from laptop onto tv as my laptop doesnt have HDMI.?

Cheers
    Stephen

Typically, Sky Go only supports audio and not video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Is your laptop a newer Mac? If so, you can through Airplay Mirroring. If not, I think you may be out of luck.

One other option might be to buy an Xbox 360 (and Xbox Gold Membership) and you can access Sky Go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Is your laptop a newer Mac? If so, you can through Airplay Mirroring. If not, I think you may be out of luck.

One other option might be to buy an Xbox 360 (and Xbox Gold Membership) and you can access Sky Go from there.

On iPad, when you try to mirror Sky Go, it fails. Sky have built protocols into the app to prevent Airplay (save audio) and mirroring. It is likely that the same scenario exists with the Mac version.

Even if it were to work on Mac, iPad or XBox then there's the little matter of geolocation. He will require a VPN. The OP has already said that he's using it already in Australia, so he may have surmounted that, but is it that easy on Xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's easy. Just change the DNS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

culabula wrote: »
    It is likely that the same scenario exists with the Mac version.

Tested - works fine.
    culabula wrote: »
    Even if it were to work on Mac, iPad or XBox then there's the little matter of geolocation. He will require a VPN. The OP has already said that he's using it already in Australia, so he may have surmounted that, but is it that easy on Xbox?

He said he's already using it out there judging from his post, so DNS wouldn't matter. However, as he is in Australia, I doubt the Xbox method would work

Carter1986 wrote: »
    I am living in Oz and use the sky go out here from my account back home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If you got the Apple TV 1/2 which can be jailbroken, then I'm pretty sure there's a sky go plugin for xbmc. I've never used it though, so I can't help any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Carter1986

I've used sky player sorry on my laptop not a mac it's a Samsung. I used expat shield for a uk ip so it works just pain in @rse with watching footie on laptop and with season starting soon might need to invest in next laptop or our equivalent to sky which is foxtel. They have it set up here on the Xbox but they make you pay for the standard subscription to foxtel then if you want to add the options of Xbox or app you have to pay to have that add separate. Of two minds to buy a mac too because it'll cost me 1,600$ to get the one with hdmi

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hammy79

If you buy air parrot for €7 you can stream from you computer to Apple TV, log into sky player and enable air parrot and it works great.

Advertisement