Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New responsibilities for homeowners when having work done in their home

Options
  • 01-08-2013 7:48am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Another beauty!
    This will not encourage people to get thier homes rewired :mad:

Have a little read of this:

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Construction/homeowners_guide.pdf

What do you have to do?
    By law, you have to:
    1. determine the competency of people doing paid construction work for you,
    2. appoint project supervisors if required,
    3. keep the safety file for the work as appropriate,
    and
    4. let the Health and Safety Authority know if your project is going to take longer than 30 days or more than 500 person days (person days mean the number of days the work takes multiplied by the number of people doing the work).

Any houghts / comments people? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

How in the hell can you determine someones competency by asking them 5 or 6 questions?

That looks like an utter joke to me. Won't do anyone any good.

Seems like trying to pass the burden of making sure contractors are going by the buck on to the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

bassey wrote: »
    How in the hell can you determine someones competency by asking them 5 or 6 questions?

Seems like trying to pass the burden of making sure contractors are going by the buck on to the consumer.

That's it in a nutshell,pass the buck.

Nothing to do with me boss,that's your responsibility:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

The regulations apply to construction work that you pay to get done in your home. They do not apply to DIY (Do it yourself) jobs.

The simpletons in government removed the paragraph from the legislation that guaranteed this. My reading of the act is that it does apply to DIY projects if you project takes longer than 30 days or you hire someone to help you, e.g. RGI to move a pipe or whatever. Beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »

Any houghts / comments people? :)

Yes, here are mine. We live in a pretend democracy, run by people who take full advantage of knowing we are a nation of <Snip> idiots collectively, while they come on proclaiming we are an intelligent electorate when looking for votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

the new building control act is coming into force next march which will spell the end of self build houses as the home owner will be obliged to nominate a building contractor to do the work. and the home owner has to cert that his builder is competent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

dathi wrote: »
    the new building control act is coming into force next march which will spell the end of self build houses as the home owner will be obliged to nominate a building contractor to do the work. and the home owner has to cert that his builder is competent.

Thats not true it doesn't say that. Read it properly.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,32732,en.pdf article 9 page 16 has the form that must be filled before commencement and it clearly says that that you have to cert that the builder is competent.

Page four last two paragraphs on the original link posted by the OP, thats what I was looking at.

yes we are talking about two different pieces of legislation the first is "hsa" health and safety legislation which is onerous enough on its own but the second act is the building control act which comes into force in march which will force you to (1) use an architect to design your house (2) use an architect or engineer to certify that the house is built to regs (3) use a builder/contractor to build it and you have to cert that he is competent to build the house

dathi wrote: »
    yes we are talking about two different pieces of legislation the first is "hsa" health and safety legislation which is onerous enough on its own but the second act is the building control act which comes into force in march which will force you to (1) use an architect to design your house (2) use an architect or engineer to certify that the house is built to regs (3) use a builder/contractor to build it and you have to cert that he is competent to build the house

Didnt know that Daithi, thanks, makes you wonder why this has to happen. It must all come back to the government trying to get the nixer trade abolished in this country. A contractor would have to get above board contractors to do the work and an engineer would also get a few pound out of it. It makes sense if you are a builder or a trade contractor but a bit of a balls if you want to build your own house for as cheap as you can by doing some of the work yourself and having a few friends help you out and so on (which you should be entitled to do if you want).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Glad I'm out of the building trade!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bassey wrote: »

I reckon that's Any qualified sparks attributed to safe electric / RECI would be deemed competent and that's what the householder is to look for

Advertisement