Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest in starting Athy Coder Dojo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

I could be interested in that, although I'm not 100% sure about time comittments for the next year. I have a BSc in computer science.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Nadser wrote: »
    I could be interested in that, although I'm not 100% sure about time comittments for the next year. I have a BSc in computer science.

Great stuff, good to hear it. I've been doing a small bit of research already and there could be a few more interested so you can fall in when ever you are free, so don't worry about the commitment. Do you want to send me a PM and i'll let you know where its at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 odonohuem

I am a great admirer of coder dojos. I am a father of an 11 year old and an 8 year old. Unfortunately I have no programming skills but I fully appreciate the benefits that programming skills could provide my kids with. I use linux at home (I am an Ubuntu Member) and I would love to see a coder dojo set up in Athy. I wish you well with this.

odonohuem wrote: »
    I am a great admirer of coder dojos. I am a father of an 11 year old and an 8 year old. Unfortunately I have no programming skills but I fully appreciate the benefits that programming skills could provide my kids with. I use linux at home (I am an Ubuntu Member) and I would love to see a coder dojo set up in Athy. I wish you well with this.

Just so you know odonohuem, there is no need to know how to code, you can just help out as well, the more the merrier as they say, as nadser said above peoples availability may be limited and having an extra pair of hands could be invaluable, a super-sub if you will :)

I think even a demo on Ubuntu would be handy, a room for of enthusiastic kids could get to see the benefits of it, now that would be great.

That's great Cork Skate! I'd be happy to be a super sub when time permits (I work a shift pattern which includes weekends, every second weekend infact!). I'd happily demo ubuntu but again I'm not the best at it. Can also provide Ubuntu 12.04 LTS DVDs to parents and demo an install if you'd like.

Just a quick Q. Is this the Coder Dojo planned for Athy College starting mid Sep? I've just been made aware of that proposal and I am hoping this is the same drive. If not I think the two projects should talk.

• Advertisement

odonohuem wrote: »
    That's great Cork Skate! I'd be happy to be a super sub when time permits (I work a shift pattern which includes weekends, every second weekend infact!). I'd happily demo ubuntu but again I'm not the best at it. Can also provide Ubuntu 12.04 LTS DVDs to parents and demo an install if you'd like.

Just a quick Q. Is this the Coder Dojo planned for Athy College starting mid Sep? I've just been made aware of that proposal and I am hoping this is the same drive. If not I think the two projects should talk.

Yeah, its the same now, i had tried to set it up in the library first but there's a few more like-minded folk doing the same in the college :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭kam3qnwvebf4jh

Hi corkskate, I would be interested in helping out. I have C , SQL and basic programming skills

Hi corkskate, I would be interested in helping out. I have C , SQL and basic programming skills

Hi ReturnofThe, not sure why corkskate has not replied but just to give you an update on the info that I have. Your participation would be most welcome from what I understand. Things have progressed to a start date of Sat 12 Oct 13 (from 10am to 12 noon I believe) it Athy College. A website has just been set up but not on public view yet.

the general e-mail address is info@coderdojoathy.com .

There is a facebook presence also at:

https://www.facebook.com/CDAthy

If you have trouble getting a response from either of these avenues get back on here.

Hope to see you on 12 Oct 13

From a hopeful parent rather than a mentor :)

Thanks odonoghuem, CorkSkate did PM me and I did make it to the first meeting, so will be there on the 12th. See you then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 davyirl321

I may be interested in helping out. I have client side and server side coding skills in a number of languages and teach part time.
    Can you PM me who is currently mentoring? Do mentors have to show up every Saturday?

• Advertisement

PM sent. thanks Davy

davyirl321, Its great that you are interested. Details of CoderDojo Athy can be found on the website coderdojoathy.com, Facebook: facebook.com/CDAthy and witter: @CoderDojoAthy. I am sure your help would be greatly appreciated and you certainly don't need to mentor every Saturday. Why not drop in either Saturday morning or Saturday afternoon any week it is running and have a chat with the mentors present. I expect ReturnOfThe gave you this info and more earlier.

Advertisement