Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing someone to Maeve Binchy

Options
  • 01-08-2013 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭

what book would you recommend that would give someone a good overall feel for what Meave Binchy is about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

limnam wrote: »
    what book would you recommend that would give someone a good overall feel for what Meave Binchy is about?

My favourite Maeve Binchy books are Scarlett Feather and Quentins. I loved the characters in Scarlett Feather so much that I didn't want the book to come to an end. Some of the characters appear again in Quentins so it's important to read Scarlett Feather first.

Quentins isn't as good a read as Scarlett Feather but I still enjoyed it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Start at the beginning with Light A Penny Candle? (I think that was her first book but I'm open to correction).

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Circle of Friends - her best book if you ask me. It's so "complete".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I would second Circle of Friends, reread it recently and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I think The Lilac Bus was my first Binchy novel (I've only read a couple anyways) and found it good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Echoes. Definitely Echoes! I still shed a tear when re-reading it!

Although I agree re Light a Penny Candle and The Lilac Bus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

Can men read her books?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

HeadPig wrote: »
    Can men read her books?

Of course! Men can read any books they like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

Of course! Men can read any books they like :)

Yeah but are they completely targeted towards women?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

HeadPig wrote: »
    Yeah but are they completely targeted towards women?

They, like many other books, are marketed towards women because publishers know that women read a lot more fiction than men. Personally I think this is foolish. A good book is a good book, regardless of your gender.
    Anybody who has the slightest interest in people and in human nature will enjoy her books.
    In some of the writing aimed at women the male characters are stereotypes, either tall dark and handsome or bad boys of various hues, but those in Binchey's books are much more rounded, more like men we all know (and love, despite their faults).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I'm not a "Chick Lit" fan. I just like good books. And I like Maeve Binchy. I loved Circle of Friends.

I read books that are targeted at men and enjoy them so why can't it work the other way around. Just don't start reading it with the idea in your head that it is purely for women. Try to have an open mind about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

echo beach wrote: »
    Start at the beginning with Light A Penny Candle? (I think that was her first book but I'm open to correction).

And maybe her best?

I like all her books, but LAPC was the deepest.

Minding Frankie is a good read. Some of the characters appear in other books too.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

I would recommend 'Light a Penny Candle' or 'Firefly Summer' :)

My mum had these copies in hardback and I remember reading them and becoming completely immersed in the story. They describe an Ireland that has all but disappeared.

Maeve was a wonderful writer and I am saying this as someone who is not a fan of any of the Irish 'chicklit' writers writing at the present time.

Advertisement