Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal to Ringaskiddy Ferry Terminal

Options
  • 01-08-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Does anyone on here travel often to Cork from Donegal. We are due to travel to France soon on the ferry so I updated my sat nav (1st time in a few years) to the latest maps, whenever I type in this destination it is taking me through the midlands where as Google maps and AA route planner is saying Dublin and then the new motorways all the way. Which is the quickest route and has anyone a rough journey time as we are traveling down the day of the sailing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

This will depend on where in in Donegal are you travelling from. If from letterkenny, I would suggest M1 and M8 via Dublin. If you are travelling from the south of the county (Donegal town, Ballyshannon), I would say via Galway would be the quickest.

Also bare in mind the cost (tolls) of using the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

I live in cork and head up home a few times during the year. Rough journey time is 6hrs from Letterkenny including a break, no matter what way you head.

Donegal-Dublin-Cork imo is very boring as basically on the motorway from Ardee to Cork plus there are 4 tolls on it. I found that in a 1.4 petrol I use 1/4 of a tank more going this way than the others.

Midlands, unless you know the roads it is torture. Twisty with little overtaking in places. You can head sligo-boyle-athlone-tullamore-portloaise-cork, 2 tolls. Or from athlone-birr-ferbane down through tipp and onto the motorway at Cashel. Only one toll.

My current preferred route is by Galway-Limerick. One toll on Limerick tunnel, good road Galway to Limerick but can get stuck in traffic coming into Cork via Charleville/Mallow.

I can do the later 2 routes on half a tank one way which isn't bad. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Thanks guys, I think the safest bet then would be Dublin to avoid any chance of getting caught out with traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I tend to go via Galway - but I don't go to Cork often, my son used to travel up and down often, and he prefers the Dublin route. He insists it's quicker - though he is going to east Cork, so that might make the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Well back home again, went via Dublin 5.5 hours with a break, thanks for the info. You can close this now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement