Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aus / Thailand - Any advice

• 01-08-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just looking for some practical advice. Looking to travel to Australia around Dec/Jan for a working holiday visa and possibly to Thailand for 3 weeks before to meet friends. Could be travelling alone or with my bf, not sure yet.

Few things i'd like to know

1. What vaccines do I need

2. Any info on transferring money to Aus, bank accounts

3. Any recommendations for travel insurance?

4. Can I set up an Aus bank account before I go?

And also, what the hell do you pack for a year abroad, i'd like to leave myself the option of being able to travel around without being loaded with stuff. At the same time I know how expensive Sydney is so don't fancy having to shell out on a load of clobber.

Any info / suggestions appreciated

Thanks Boardsies ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bluemagpie

Vaccines - none unless you are going to remote areas of Thailand where you may need anti malarials but that is jungle north really

Transferring money - have a google and you'll find a popularly used company, set it up before you go as you need to send on passport and bill copies etc. You can open an account before you go, westpac I think, perhaps a couple of others.

Packing, just pack enough for a week, you can wash your stuff anywhere, pick up toiletries and medicines everywhere. You can pick up cheap clothes in Thailand and cheap enough in Australia if you need to, wouldn't bother bringing a lot if you're doing a lot of travelling a 40 litre rucksack would do grand. However if you're staying in one place in Australia and working in a proper job then do as otherwise you'll just be rebuying everything there at a big markup for good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bluemagpie

Oh travel insurance there is a backpackerstravelinsurance one, you can get it for a year or more, and choose your level of activities cover, like diving, bungy, skydiving, hiking high altitude etc.

You'll have a fantastic time, worth taking some extra time in Thailand on your own too. And for Australia if you're planning to go all over it is worth looking at the train pass, some trains only run weekly but still it can work out fairly cheap if you have the time to maximise it.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

bluemagpie wrote: »
    Vaccines - none unless you are going to remote areas of Thailand where you may need anti malarials but that is jungle north really

Transferring money - have a google and you'll find a popularly used company, set it up before you go as you need to send on passport and bill copies etc. You can open an account before you go, westpac I think, perhaps a couple of others.

Packing, just pack enough for a week, you can wash your stuff anywhere, pick up toiletries and medicines everywhere. You can pick up cheap clothes in Thailand and cheap enough in Australia if you need to, wouldn't bother bringing a lot if you're doing a lot of travelling a 40 litre rucksack would do grand. However if you're staying in one place in Australia and working in a proper job then do as otherwise you'll just be rebuying everything there at a big markup for good stuff.

I don't have a plan set in stone yet, will probably work for a while then look at doing some travelling

Well flights booked and ready to go. Any advice for someone who isn't the best flyer in the world doing such a long trip on my own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Done the exact same trip as you except with more time in Asia on the way. Have a box of stuff on its way over to us now too. Cost us around 250 quid for a 35 kilo box.

Don't worry about the flight, who are you flying with? Going to Asia was my first ever long haul flight and it was great! We flew with Emirates. Free drink and food the whole way and there's plenty of films and shows to keep you occupied. If you're nervous just have a few stiff drinks and try knock yourself out :D

• Advertisement

Done the exact same trip as you except with more time in Asia on the way. Have a box of stuff on its way over to us now too. Cost us around 250 quid for a 35 kilo box.

Don't worry about the flight, who are you flying with? Going to Asia was my first ever long haul flight and it was great! We flew with Emirates. Free drink and food the whole way and there's plenty of films and shows to keep you occupied. If you're nervous just have a few stiff drinks and try knock yourself out :D

Thanks for that. I'm flying with Etihad as far as Bangkok, then think it's Bangkok Airways as far as Koh Samui. I heard Etihad are pretty good to fly with, which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Barryp6177

I just got back about 2 months ago from travelling around Australia for 1 year and Thailand for 5 weeks.

I would definitely recommend stopping in Thailand for a few weeks on the way over its amazing whether you want to go sighting seeing and more tourism stuff or just want to have some crazy nights out. You do not need vaccinations unless your going to be going north of Bangkok but if you just want to go island hoping you will be fine although I did not go to Chiang Mai I know a lot of people who have gone there and said it is well worth but you would need vaccinations for that. Be sure not to miss a full moon party on Ko Pha-ngan but book accommodation in advance for this as it is always very busy around full moon time.

Unless you will start working in Sydney pretty soon do not stay for a long time although it is great I love Sydney but it is very expensive, I flew into Sydney and stayed there for 1 month, big mistake. You must do the east coast it's awesome for partying. Either start in Cairns and work your way down south if you want to end up in Sydney or else start in Melbourne and go north. I used the Greyhound Bus Service, it was $350 at the time from Sydney to Cairns or the other way around allowing to get on or off whenever you want wherever you want, very convenient. There is so many places along this trip to see but make sure you go to Fraiser Island and/or Whitsundays. Mission beach also is the best place in Australia to do a skydive over the Great Barrier Reef.

If it is more of an activities based trip you want like snorkelling, rock-climbing, white water rafting etc. then the west coast would be better. Again if you want to end up in Sydney start at the top of the west coast n come down n then rent a car or camper-van n drive across the south coast Great Ocean Road for some spectacular scenery.

Enjoy your trip, I wish I could start it all again.

Advertisement