Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect at first ante natal hospital visit?

• 01-08-2013 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I'll be 12 weeks next week when I go for my first hospital check up. What exactly will happen? I've heard that it takes ages, you have to fill out long detailed questionnaires etc before having a scan. I'm a little anxious as I had a terrible experience in the same hospital last year while having a miscarriage :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Are you public or private? There's usually a wait in the public clinics. You'll be asked to fill out a set of questions, on allergies, medical conditions, previous pregnancy history, smoking and drinking, that kind of thing. Weight and height will be taken. Blood pressure and blood samples will be taken. You may or may not get a scan depending on the hospital. You'll probably have a chat with midwives or doctors, again depending on the setup. If you are feeling worried say this at the first appointment, generally the staff are very understanding about previous losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

Depends where you are too the the Cork UMH, you get your scan first then theres a wee bit of a wait maybe half an hour or so and you meet the midwife, green folder is filled in, general info exchanged etc.

Thats how it was for me, my sister had 2 seperate appointments a scan date then a meeting with the ob the following week for the above, wouldn't worry about it!

and congrats! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Hi mrspostman,
    I am going public in Holles st and I had my first check up at around 14 weeks.
    They sent me out a questionnaire in advance (I was able to research the answers I wasn't sure of such as hereditary stuff on his side and mine) and then I answered them with the midwife. She weighed me and measured my height then she took my bloods and blood pressure.
    She checked the heartbeat but didn't do the full measuring scan. I think the whole thing took about 40 minutes but I was able to chat to her about my fears and she was lovely and took all the time I needed.
    They are there to help and will look after you.
    Good luck x

Advertisement