Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toll Barrier Incident

• 01-08-2013 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

This is just a warning to take care going through the dirty things.

At the end of May I was coming from Dublin heading West,came to the toll at Kilcock/Enfield and entered the coin-only toll (there is 3 of them,I entered the middle one).The correct toll was registered on the display (1.50),herself was pillion and threw in the correct change.A second later 2.90 appeared on the display,I pressed for assistance and a lad said check the coin return which was empty.He then said hold on a min and I'll put you through.A few seconds later the barrier goes up and the light goes green and I take off,next thing I feel is a whack on the head.
    I stopped and was trying to work out what had happened when herself says it was the barrier that hit the helmet.
    So to cut a long story short,watch out at these barriers when on the bike.I absolutely detest paying the toll and will take as long as two or three mins sometimes to find the coinage just to make a point.

And on another point,only afterwards did I find out that the easypass lane is not supposed to be used by bikes due to an incident of a similar nature.

So be careful at them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

That is shocking and your passenger could have been knocked off the bike :eek::eek:

This is exactly the reason I go around the barrier not under it :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Let me get this straight....you actually stopped and paid for the toll on a motorbike!!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

they'd be buying me a new helmet if the barrier hit mine

I would buy them a gift voucher if it hit my missus in the head.................LMFAO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Wossack wrote: »
    they'd be buying me a new helmet if the barrier hit mine

And they payed for mine as well.:)
    On a secondary note,take pictures and get the incident report form completely filled out before you budge from where it happened.I had to laugh at the claims department wanting a receipt for the repair of the helmet :D.

And yes wonderboy,I pay.Only two places in Ireland that the toll is free for bikes and the M4/6 isn't one of them :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I absolutely detest paying the toll and will take as long as two or three mins sometimes to find the coinage just to make a point.

By inconveniencing other members of the travelling public?

If you want to 'make a point' write a letter to your local td or take a non tolled road instead.
    ,next thing I feel is a whack on the head.
    I stopped and was trying to work out what had happened when herself says it was the barrier that hit the helmet.

That'd be the karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Bikes aren't like cars in that you can just leave stuff lying around. Bike gear isn't the easiest to get coinage out of.

No Pants wrote: »
    Bikes aren't like cars in that you can just leave stuff lying around. Bike gear isn't the easiest to get coinage out of.

Read the actual post.
    He said he takes 2-3mins deliberately to make a point.

If you want to 'make a point' write a letter to your local td or take a non tolled road instead.

That'd be the karma.

Ah now Frankie boy,are you unaware that there is 5 other lanes to go into at the toll plaza instead of tailgating a bike into the one he/she goes in?By process of anticipation and thought of other road users(I know those two words mean nothing to car drivers) it could be worked out that a biker will take more time to get through the toll.
    And on the write a letter comment,I don't need to.I'm not slowing down anybody,I moan about the toll but I pay it.The car driver that pulls in behind me and expects me to be gone in two seconds flat is not in a rush,if they were they would have deduced that it takes time to get off the gloves and get change and get the gloves back on again.Either that or they are a low wattage bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Similar happened to a mate of mine. He suffered serious neck injury after it and had back pain from time to time too. He got a nice claim out of it too... Just sayin'. :D

• Advertisement

Ah now Frankie boy,are you unaware that there is 5 other lanes to go into at the toll plaza instead of tailgating a bike into the one he/she goes in?By process of anticipation and thought of other road users(I know those two words mean nothing to car drivers) it could be worked out that a biker will take more time to get through the toll.
    And on the write a letter comment,I don't need to.I'm not slowing down anybody,I moan about the toll but I pay it.The car driver that pulls in behind me and expects me to be gone in two seconds flat is not in a rush,if they were they would have deduced that it takes time to get off the gloves and get change and get the gloves back on again.Either that or they are a low wattage bulb.

Yes, you are, deliberately - you've already admitted as much.
    and will take as long as two or three mins sometimes to find the coinage just to make a point.

You can't possibly be 'making a point' otherwise.

Sounds like you're trying to row back on what is pretty ignorant behaviour just because you've been called out on it.

At least have the balls to admit what you do.

Yes, you are, deliberately - you've already admitted as much.

You can't possibly be 'making a point' otherwise.

Sounds like you're trying to row back on what is pretty ignorant behaviour just because you've been called out on it.

At least have the balls to admit what you do.

I'm not rowing back on anything.I do not invite a car driver to come in behind me when there are other lanes free for he/she to take.If they do then so be it.I don't lose sleep over it I can tell you Mr Black.;)

I'm not rowing back on anything.I do not invite a car driver to come in behind me when there are other lanes free for he/she to take.If they do then so be it.I don't lose sleep over it I can tell you Mr Black.;)

And if there aren't other lanes free?

Let me guess - you don't deliberately take 2-3 minutes to put your money in the basket, because that would make you an asshole?

So, you basically only take the 2-3minutes to put your money in the basket, during quiet times of the day when there's loads of other lanes free for other drivers to use, to 'make a point'.

Well, I'd imagine your actions must really be getting the Government to have re-think on on toll road policies.

Great 'point-making'.

And if there aren't other lanes free?

Let me guess - you don't deliberately take 2-3 minutes to put your money in the basket, because that would make you an asshole?

So, you basically only take the 2-3minutes to put your money in the basket, during quiet times of the day when there's loads of other lanes free for other drivers to use, to 'make a point'.

Well, I'd imagine your actions must really be getting the Government to have re-think on on toll road policies.

Great 'point-making'.

Ah Frank now come on will ya and have a cup of Cop On.Your posts are assumptions,you seem to neither have the capacity to think laterally about the situation nor have a willingness to accept what you are told. I'll bow out of this interaction with you. Might go straighten a few nails or manicure my gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Hang on. There are people here who just drive around the barriers? Does it work? As in have you ever had any consequences come back at you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Pedro K wrote: »
    Hang on. There are people here who just drive around the barriers? Does it work? As in have you ever had any consequences come back at you?

Yes to question #1/#2

No to question #3 :D

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Yes to question #1/#2

No to question #3 :D

Careful now.....Officer Dibbles is on high alert 'round these parts :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey Frank, how much is the toll for a high horse?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bout three fiddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Pedro K wrote: »
    Hang on. There are people here who just drive around the barriers?

You mean there are people who don't? I thought all bikers did it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I am only aware of the East-link having a gap that you can fit through without paying?
    What other ones can you do? I'd fancy the port tunnel, would save me a good few min on my daily commute but it's €3 each way at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Read the actual post.
    He said he takes 2-3mins deliberately to make a point.

I don't see how this could inconvenience anyone TBH, the toll operators would certainly notice if all bikes suddenly took something like this amount of time to pay and very possibly decide they weren't worth the hassle. Your local TD or the government for that matter have absolutely nothing to do with toll policy.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    I don't see how this could inconvenience anyone TBH, .

Ok, that's weird.
    the toll operators would certainly notice if all bikes suddenly took something like this amount of time to pay and very possibly decide they weren't worth the hassle

Why would they, given that you can't see how it would inconvenience anyone?

. Your local TD or the government for that matter have absolutely nothing to do with toll policy.
    Interesting.
    Who does then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

i am as a biker always paying toll... its not much so i haev the coin ready / handy to pull and thats it. if i dont wanna pay i will take diff route. i woudlnt sleep well not paying and knowing that i did something wrong. for 1€ get into trouble? no wroth. imagine garda car standing near by just watching and you driving thorugh without paying.. well done mr.. now face it..

this is how i deal with it... but others may choose diff ways .. i respect them even tho i dont like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No Pants wrote: »

I couldn't help thinking of your username when I read that!

:D

Ok, that's weird.

How so? Most toll points have multiple gates and I've yet to see a queue for any of them.
    Why would they, given that you can't see how it would inconvenience anyone?
    The gates are monitored, the operators should notice if bikes are taking significantly longer, how they respond is entirely down to them.
    Interesting.
    Who does then?
    AFIK They're all PPP so policy is up to the company involved, the RSA can also 'advise' to a limited degree.

How so? Most toll points have multiple gates and I've yet to see a queue for any of them.
    You've never seen more than one vehicle at a toll booth/gate at any time?
    You either rarely use toll roads, or you do so exclusively at very quiet times of the day.
    [QUOTE=bladespin;85835439
    The gates are monitored, the operators should notice if bikes are taking significantly longer, how they respond is entirely down to them.[/QUOTE]
    Well, you suggested that bikers taking 2-3minutes might lead to a change in policy, but as you've never seen more than one vehicle in a queue at any time, it's strange that you've come to this conclusion.

AFIK They're all PPP so policy is up to the company involved, the RSA can also 'advise' to a limited degree.

Toll policy is decided at Goverenment level.
    PPP's are responsible for the collection of tolls and the maintenance of the section of motorway in question. Toll levels are set according to the terms of the original contract they entered into at the time, prior to construction.
    The RSA have absolutely nothing to do with tolls.
    So, writing to your local TD, as I suggested, is the only way you will influence toll policy.
    The other advantage of this approach, is that you won't needlessly and deliberately delay other members of the travelling public for 2-3 minutes, while you make some misguided "point" about current toll policy in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Watch out for the barrier at tolls - seemed like a simple idea for a thread....

You've never seen more than one vehicle at a toll booth/gate at any time?
    You either rarely use toll roads, or you do so exclusively at very quiet times of the day.

I use the tolls, M3, M4, M50,M7,8&9 all the time at varying times but as I said I've yet to see a queue, I never said anything about more than one vehicle but that's certainly my experience. I've have never arrived in line behind a bike so I can't see how a rider taking his time would inconvienience me or another driver in any major way.
    Well, you suggested that bikers taking 2-3minutes might lead to a change in policy, but as you've never seen more than one vehicle in a queue at any time, it's strange that you've come to this conclusion.
    I'm not suggesting it would change policy, just that it would be noticed and it could lead to a decision being made, (M50 for example), for years many riders used the stop dismount etc strategy on that bridge and while I doubt it was directly responsible for the toll on bikes being dropped I'm sure it sowed the idea somewhere, it's certainly a more direct route than the TD who as I've already said will have little or no influence.

BTW I do remember reading how the RSA have advised on tolls on the M3 before it was finished to influence traffic away from lesser roads, I'm not sure how much influence they had though.

Back on Topic: I've always found the barriers on the M4 a bit dodgy, once I nearly clobbered the windscreen of the car in the easy pass lane when the barrier dropped just as I was about to pass, I somehow managed to stop in time but have no idea how.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

endacl wrote: »
    I couldn't help thinking of your username when I read that!

:D
    If you fish the coins out of your pants, the operators don't want to take it.

Advertisement