Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which supporters have it the worst?

• 01-08-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭

Going through some of the threads there is an awful lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth but which clubs supporters have it the worst.
    Some examples are

1. Leeds : Champions league semi finalists just over 10 years ago and now cant get out of the championship.
    2. Newcastle : Regularly seem to shoot themselves in the foot and be laughing stocks... With JFK back will this continue?
    3. Liverpool : 23 years and counting.... knocked off their bloody perch and their best player wants out.
    4. Portsmouth : FA Cup winners 5 years ago. Now in the fourth tier due to financial problems. Saints being in premiership doesnt help
    5. Coventry City : Had a proud 30plus years in top flight. Now in 3rd flight and going into liquidation and looking like having a points deduction

So what say you??

I have removed Arsenal and Spurs due to the obvious pointing out that the shouldnt be there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hibs

/thread(im serious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Blackburn

Idiot owners and now probably the laughing stock of the entire league

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Seeing that Coventry City are so hard up they're using last years kit and groundsharing must put them in with a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

all things considered at the moment, its liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Playing in The Championship or EPL does not mean you have it bad.

Look lower down the divisions and you will see supporters who have it bad. Barnet just got relegated again from the Football League. Portsmouth have had it pretty shít for the last 5 years. The likes of Darlington and Scarborough who have ceased to exist.

Closer to home Waterford United escaped a winding up order by the skin of their teeth.

Those are tough times. Not wondering will one of our millionaires leave this week or next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

gimmick wrote: »

Look lower down the divisions and you will see supporters who have it bad. Barbet just got relegated again from the Football League. Portsmouth have had it pretty shít for the last 5 years. The likes of Darlington and Scarborough who have ceased to exist.

Closer to home Waterford United escaped a winding up order by the skin of their teeth.

Those are tough times. Not wondering will one of our millionaires leave this week or next.

Actually I meant to put Portsmouth in ahead of Spurs but forgot at last minute.
    Yes, I know what you mean but I was just putting "big" clubs in as more people here follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

ronjo wrote: »
    Going through some of the threads there is an awful lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth but which clubs supporters have it the worst.
    Some examples are

1. Leeds : Champions league semi finalists just over 10 years ago and now cant get out of the championship.
    2. Newcastle : Regularly seem to shoot themselves in the foot and be laughing stocks... With JFK back will this continue?
    3. Liverpool : 23 years and counting.... knocked off their bloody perch and their best player wants out.
    4. Arsenal : Were "invincible" ten years ago and now supposedly have a warchest that they seem incapable of opening.
    5. Spurs : While certainly on the rise they just cannot pass out their biggest rivals and possibly will be losing their best player although a world record transfer amount should ease the pain.

I have only included big clubs here and I know there are many lower league clubs that would love to have these problems.

So what say you??

These teams really should be on the list more the likes of Rangers, Coventry, Wimbledon, Bohs and many others know what bad is

Being a premier league team trying to break the top 3 monoply is a long way from having it bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Some examples are

4. Arsenal : Were "invincible" ten years ago and now supposedly have a warchest that they seem incapable of opening.
    5. Spurs : While certainly on the rise they just cannot pass out their biggest rivals and possibly will be losing their best player although a world record transfer amount should ease the pain.

I have only included big clubs here and I know there are many lower league clubs that would love to have these problems.

So what say you??

As a liverpool fan we dont have it bad atall imo, would say blackburn in the championship. Like someone said here waterford united close to home, am about ~1hours drive from there so often hear about it on the radio its a joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I agree, I think Blackburn have it pretty bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Newcastle Liverpool Arsenal Spurs, really?

Id say clubs like Blackburn, Portsmouth, Coventry, Bradford have it far worse than any of them teams.

Add in Rangers and that old clubs fans have def had it the hardest. Had to start supporting a new club in the 4th division while the team they all "hate" has an amazing season in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Leeds for me. Huge club nearly wiped away due to reckless spending and mismanagement of the club.

I'm not to worried about Blackburn fans, they all magically turned into Chelsea and the Man City fans :P

Anyone wrote: »
    Leeds for me. Huge club nearly wiped away due to reckless spending and mismanagement of the club.

I'm not to worried about Blackburn fans, they all magically turned into Chelsea and the Man City fans :P

Things like this really annoy me, I know alot of blackburn supporters ( i wouldnt say i Support them, as I support Dundalk, but they are the Eng team I look out for and occasionally go to games) Not 1 of the Blackburn fans I have know, over 20 years has started supporting Chelsea or Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

gimmick wrote: »

Look lower down the divisions and you will see supporters who have it bad. Barnet just got relegated again from the Football League. Portsmouth have had it pretty shít for the last 5 years. The likes of Darlington and Scarborough who have ceased to exist.

It's all relative to expectation, though. I was at Shelbourne games in the first division when it wasn't clear if they would even be a club at the end of the year. Still isn't, tbh.

Fans of clubs like Leeds had to watch as their team went from CL football and being perennial top division players to sliding down the divisions and having Ken Bates in charge in the space of a couple of seasons. That's a drastic readjustment.

Same for Liverpool fans. Years of being right at the top, the biggest club in England and the best in Europe, to two decades of mismanagement and mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Top of the head, Portsmouth, Coventry, Blackburn, Hibs, Hearts, Rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Salamanca in Spain worth a shout - not long ago playing in La Liga, beating Barcelona 4-3 in an epic, and even just a few years ago would have seen themselves as one of the stronger sides in Segunda with a good chance of going up.

Now they cease to exist. Spare a thought for their fans.

Depor would be another - recently challenging for the league, semi-final of the CL, an excellent team. They've been relegated to Segunda again,their hero representative of their glory years (Valeron) has finally left, they will have to lose some of their better players and promotion may be a longshot as a result.

They are f*cked financially and could go the way of Salamanca.

To make it worse, their fierce rivals Celta Vigo stayed up on the last day of the season at their expense after looking like certs for the drop.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Anyone who thinks Liverpool has it bad hasn't a clue. Arsenal being mentioned is genuinely hilarious.

Fans of cubs who have gone bust, who've had to bust their asses to keep their clubs alive. They've had it bad.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Galway United.

Nope still seen no club that is more embarrassed then Hibs(on the pitch)

fans wise its terrific.

Nope still seen no club that is more embarrassed then Hibs(on the pitch)

fans wise its terrific.

How do you make this out?

Hibs more embarrased than the likes of East Fife, Queen of the South etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Kildare County, even when they did exist they weren't a proper club.

• Advertisement

How do you make this out?

Hibs more embarrased than the likes of East Fife, Queen of the South etc?

5-1 in Scottish Cup final against their Neighbours

9-0 on aggregate in Europe against a side they were the seeded team against(lost 7-0 at home)

For past 30 years we have underachieved. (2 League Cups aside)

Lost League Cup final to Livingston when we beat Celtic and Rangers along the way

Drew a game where we were 6-2 up

Drew a Derby where we were 4-2 up in injury time

We get the 4th biggest crowd in SPL but have been relegated and close to relegation on a number of occasions.

Manager Merry go round.

The likes of East Fife and QOS don't have those expectations.

I could go on, but be here a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Forest.

For a while in the equivalent of the old 3rd division, the only European cup winner to ever play in their country's third tier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I always think of Finn Harps. Takes an age for them to get to and home from any away games and even when you're playing at home you're still watching Finn Harps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

But you have a team Kew so it's not all that bad. I still think the Galway United supporters who run the lotto and fundraise every week for a team that doesn't really exist is way worse.

Also, Barry Town United have it worse than anyone! Read their story here.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    But you have a team Kew so it's not all that bad. I still think the Galway United supporters who run the lotto and fundraise every week for a team that doesn't really exist is way worse.

I see what you're saying Mars.

I suppose in terms of embarrassment we have been let down so many times.

I am talking about expectations and letdowns rather than actually how good we are and I think OP seems to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Definitely not Spurs anyway. Bale or no, we're in a very good place at the minute.

+1 Blackburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

All I know is that being a Liverpool is very, very difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mars Bar wrote: »

And this sums up why I will never be for one guy owning a football club.

Read on wiki that they are now run by the fans, good :)

:pac::pac:

No its nothing compared to dozens of teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

How so? Consistently finishing in the top half of the richest league in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

On the plus side, being a Liverpool fan but living in Ireland means you miss out on what is probably the worst thing about being a Liverpool fan - the fact that Everton are the better team from the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

dan1895 wrote: »
    How so? Consistently finishing in the top half of the richest league in the world.

It's about relative expectations.

The argument being put forward here is similar to the "sure aren't there starving kids in Africa" nonsense people say when people have legitimate complaints about things in life.

That being said, in a thread about whose club has it worst, Liverpool aren't up there. I do think it's been a miserable few decades for them, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

The answer is Leeds

From

top of the Premiership and 90 minutes from the Champions League final in 2001

To

Bottom of League One/Division 3 with a -15 points deduction in 2007

None of the other 91 FL teams come close

NONE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

dan1895 wrote: »

Like Phlegmy says, it's all relative.

Anyway, I'm not saying Liverpool are the worst. I have no experience of what it's like to be a Blackburn, Leeds, Forest fan etc. All I know is being a Liverpool fan, and that it's no picnic.

all things considered at the moment, its liverpool.

Lol, how's that lemon? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It's about relative expectations.

The argument being put forward here is similar to the "sure aren't there starving kids in Africa" nonsense people say when people have legitimate complaints about things in life.

That being said, in a thread about whose club has it worst, Liverpool aren't up there. I do think it's been a miserable few decades for them, though.

I know it's about expectation but they really don't have it the worst. Not by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Clemenza wrote: »
    The answer is Leeds

From

top of the Premiership and 90 minutes from the Champions League final in 2001

To

Bottom of League One/Division 3 with a -15 points deduction in 2007

None of the other 91 FL teams come close

NONE

Read up on Coventry City's current plight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Top of the head, Portsmouth, Coventry, Blackburn, Hibs, Hearts, Rangers.
    The worst is over for Portsmouth and Rangers at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

As a Birmingham fan, I think we have it pretty bad but nothing in comparison to Coventry fans at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Wrexham

Poor ****ers can't get out of the Blue Square Premier, last 3 years they have lost in the playoffs twice to Luton (could add to the mix aswell for having it bad) and Newport county last may.

Nearly folded a few years back only for their loyal supporters.

I get the point of the thread but id rather have a worry of a multi million pound player pissing off than my club on deaths door,

Been a Bohs fan aint easy these days either:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Some examples are

So what say you??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

I always think of Finn Harps. Takes an age for them to get to and home from any away games and even when you're playing at home you're still watching Finn Harps.
    not to mention going out with the begging bowl a few years ago... and the false dawns of the new stadium :(

but we are still alive!!!!!!!
    (for that galway gets my vote)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As a Leeds fan I'd have to say that we've had a pretty rough time of it over the last 10 years or so, but even at that I'm still glad that I'm not a Portsmouth fan. Those guys have really suffered - FA Cup 5 years ago and still a Premier League club the season after that, and now playing in League Two this season. At least they have a club to support, several times even that looked unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Cringy thread is cringy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Luton Town I'd say.

Seventh in the top tier in 1987, winners of the League Cup in 1988,playing at a ground for the last 108 years that they don't own and have been trying to leave since 1955, docked 30 points for something other bigger clubs got slapped on the wrist for, haven't a hope of getting out of the fifth tier at the minute, despite it all still getting better crowds than clubs three leagues above them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

Zaph wrote: »
    As a Leeds fan I'd have to say that we've had a pretty rough time of it over the last 10 years or so, but even at that I'm still glad that I'm not a Portsmouth fan. Those guys have really suffered - FA Cup 5 years ago and still a Premier League club the season after that, and now playing in League Two this season. At least they have a club to support, several times even that looked unlikely.

Good shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Read up on Coventry City's current plight.

Coventry weren't anything to begin with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Any fan that goes far far away to see their team lose, regardless of top 4 in England or bottom of whatever the fcuk league they play in. They have it bad.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement