Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which supporters have it the worst?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Hoffenheim, Red Bull Salzburg, RB Leipzig...hold on...do they even have supporters? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Hoffenheim, Red Bull Salzburg, RB Leipzig...hold on...do they even have supporters? :pac:

Would anyone shed a tear if Hoffenheim vanished off the face of the earth forever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Would anyone shed a tear if Hoffenheim vanished off the face of the earth forever?

Dietmar Hopp would I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm gonna say Forest.

To go from consistent top five finishes for a good many year under Clough, to being stuck outside the top flight for 14 years now. With 3 of those seasons spent in the hell that is League 1. Also were close to going bankrupt in 2001 after the David Platt's reckless spending combined with the collapse of ITV Digital.

Glad things are looking up now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Also, Barry Town United have it worse than anyone! Read their story here.

Think we have a winner. That's just insane.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Aston Villa or any of those clubs who just... exist. It would be much better to support a club that gets relegated and makes a decent fist of a promotion effort than to follow a team that just trudges along year after year doing nothing of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

oldyouth wrote: »
    Coventry weren't anything to begin with

Ha ?

They spent 30 + consecutive years in the top flight, only getting relegated in the 00s.

They won the FA Cup in 1987

They are just as 'anything' or a lot more 'anything' as Fullham, Stoke, Swansea, Cardiff, Hull, Sunderland, WBA, Palace, Norwich, Southampton Wolves, Wigan etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Darlington would be my nomination

A fine club knocking around the 4th and 3rd Division for over a century that were brought down by a 25,000 seater millstone built by a convicted money launderer.

Plus they had Stan as a manager to add insult to injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 1m
    Coventry City Ltd go into liquidation #SSN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

imo

hearts, they are in a really bad way atm, alot of it has been self inflicted. they looked like in 05/06 season, under george burley that they would win the spl that season or in the seasons that followed.

portsmouth, they have been really through the mill and back as have leeds.

atm, wolves they are now back in the 3rd tier of english football like they were in the late 80s. they are in freefall mode which is quite scary when you think under mick mccarthy in the epl, it looked like they would consolidate their position, like stoke

wimbledon fans have been hit really bad. relegation to the championship, to having to move to various different grounds, to having their league position, name etc. taken by MK Dons to having to start again right at the very bottom. those true dons fans deserve any bit of luck, success in the future !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

double GG wrote: »
    Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 1m
    Coventry City Ltd go into liquidation #SSN

It's going to be very hard for them to return from that, they have no ground to attract any business interest and with a 15 point penalty it'll surely mean relegation again. Tough times!

Unfortunately I think they win this thread

RoryMac wrote: »
    It's going to be very hard for them to return from that, they have no ground to attract any business interest and with a 15 point penalty it'll surely mean relegation again. Tough times!

Unfortunately I think they win this thread

sadly they do , i can't believe all whats happening/happened to coventry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

764dak wrote: »

Wow, Rangers were listed as 25th on the list in 2009. I guess that's like a Leeds type collapse.
    Aston Villa or any of those clubs who just... exist. It would be much better to support a club that gets relegated and makes a decent fist of a promotion effort than to follow a team that just trudges along year after year doing nothing of note.

I'd rather support Villa, enjoy the ups and downs of the last few seasons and enjoy the fact that the club is changing to compete without spending TONS of cash, just like teams like Swansea, West Brom, Norwich etc. Seeing a team evolve to be competitive with a much smaller budget is refreshing.

Besides, teams like Liverpool and Everton to some degree fall into this bracket of just existing and not doing anything of note year on year.

For me teams that have it bad;
    Finn Harps,
    Portsmouth,
    Wimbledon (Although AFC Wimbledon are doing quite well, but they got screwed pretty hard)
    Coventry,
    Most of the LoI gets it tight to be honest,
    Are Valencia still in half a billion euro of debt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

I remember Coventry fans singing "where's your money gone" at Highfield Road in 2004 when Leeds were playing them.

I hold grudges.

Still though, hard not to feel for their fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hearts fans have it tough?

No, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

OP here

I updated my opening post due to it not making to much sense to include Arsenal and Spurs which was rightfully pointed out.

I left Liverpool in only due to the fact that even though they are a big rich club it has been tough for them watching United pass them out after a very successful period.

The original OP was just a bit of fun but its obvious that many clubs are suffering badly and its interesting to hear the odd story about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I find it hard to see football fans have it tough, support the team or don't, there's no reason to support a team unless it brings you joy. Its better to have highs and lows than be a boring middle of the road team like Aston Villa anyway. But then again for people from these places, these clubs are a representation of their people.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I find it hard to see football fans have it tough, support the team or don't, there's no reason to support a team unless it brings you joy. Its better to have highs and lows than be a boring middle of the road team like Aston Villa anyway. But then again for people from these places, these clubs are a representation of their people.

:confused:

Aston Villa are hardly a boring middle of the road team .

In a relegation scrap near down to the wire the past two seasons.

Finished 9th the season before that. Middle of the road.

Finished 6th the previous 2 seasons before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

When it comes to underachieving Liverpool fans have it the worst.

When it comes to financial troubles theres a few clubs that have had it bad e.g. Portsmouth, Coventry, Darlington, Leeds Utd and Rangers.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »

When it comes to financial troubles theres a few clubs that have had it bad e.g. Portsmouth, Coventry, Darlington, Leeds Utd and Rangers.

In comparison to who? Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. Yeah you're probably right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Newcastle Liverpool Arsenal Spurs, really?

Id say clubs like Blackburn, Portsmouth, Coventry, Bradford have it far worse than any of them teams.

Add in Rangers and that old clubs fans have def had it the hardest. Had to start supporting a new club in the 4th division while the team they all "hate" has an amazing season in Europe

The new SPFL website would disagree with you ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

mikeym wrote: »

Underachieving in the league? Sure. I'd agree with that.

But Liverpool have won pretty much everything there besides that over the past decade, go back 12 years and you can include the Europa League (UEFA Cup at the time) as well. Could have been worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The mere mention of Liverpool in this thread is ****ing baffling. Going from supporting a great team to going to supporting a slightly less great team over the course of about 20 years? Oh my god no. What are some people smoking and can I have some

The only positive I can take from this thread is that lad ago posted the Barry Town story which was a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Just read that Barry Town article. What planet was that chap living on. Horrendous goings on. Their fans have had it much worse than anyone else mentioned on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

dan1895 wrote: »
    Just read that Barry Town article. What planet was that chap living on. Horrendous goings on. Their fans have had it much worse than anyone else mentioned on this thread.

But it's a great website, love the comparison between the EPL and the Bundesliga...and the black/yellow colours :D

Against modern football here, and now, and forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It's all relative to expectation, though. I was at Shelbourne games in the first division when it wasn't clear if they would even be a club at the end of the year. Still isn't, tbh.

End of 2006 and start of 2007 was ropey, but 118 year history will only be added to from here on in!

Advertisement