Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a car in SA

Options
  • 01-08-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Im flying into Adelaide mid september and staying for 3 days, im hoping to buy a car in that time and head on south towards the coast.

My budget is around 4000 dollars which means il likely be buying a 15-20+ year old high miler, so im wondering do cars need/have a road worthy test like the nct here or aslong as the car has registration on it am i good to go? Also if a car is out of registration is it much hassle to get sorted?

Any info much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

minzabud wrote: »
    Im flying into Adelaide mid september and staying for 3 days, im hoping to buy a car in that time and head on south towards the coast.

My budget is around 4000 dollars which means il likely be buying a 15-20+ year old high miler, so im wondering do cars need/have a road worthy test like the nct here or aslong as the car has registration on it am i good to go? Also if a car is out of registration is it much hassle to get sorted?

Any info much appreciated

No NCT type thing in SA, in fact there was a news report recently about someone caught driving with no steering wheel just using a vice grips to steer!

Link here

You will probably pick up an OK car for that money, the cheap dealers are out a bit along Main North Rd or down South road, but there are plenty around. Bargain hard as there is plenty of choice around and they will expect it.

Getting rego sorted is quite easy, in fact when I bought my first car the dealer drove me to services SA to do the paperwork. All I needed was ID & payment. For what it is worth my first car here was a 16 year old Ford Laser with 217K and 3 months rego for $1400.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Salad fingers fan? Cheers for the reply il probably go for an old Toyota or similar, that's grand il check dealers out in that area, so once it has rego I can drive away with third party insurance all above board?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

minzabud wrote: »
    Salad fingers fan? Cheers for the reply il probably go for an old Toyota or similar, that's grand il check dealers out in that area, so once it has rego I can drive away with third party insurance all above board?

Used the name before i saw it, but yeah do/did like it alright!
    Once it has rego you are good to go, be aware that it's only CTP so if you run into the back of something you will still have to pay for repair, it covers mostly pedestrians/medical etc not replacing property.

see this link for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

That's great thanks, will factor in additional insurance now

Advertisement