Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put offer for house in 6 weeks ago

Options
  • 01-08-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

:confused: I've placed a bid on a house that I really like over 6 weeks ago with no reply from the estate agents.. I rang him on Monday and said I was concerned as there has been a few houses go on my local market in past few weeks and have been sale agreed inside 2 weeks, I told the estate agent I was worried i'd miss out on a house in my budget if I didn't get a answer soon.

His reply was well you shouldn't be missing out on the houses you should go for 1 saying my offer of 68000 on a 80000 house was unlikely to get me the house. He said he is having more interest in the house lately but no more offers.

Can anyone give me there views should I walk away from this house (which I really want none of the other houses compare) & are going for around 55.

I was thinking of giving him a time limit off my offer but as I said I want the house and don't want to get off in wrong foot with them.

At times I think he didn't put my offer forward as 3 weeks seems a long time to wait for a reply. My first offer was for 60000 I had to ring him after 3 weeks to heard it was turned down.

Any advice would be really appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You know what the answer will be. Be prepared to walk away.

Tell them it's your best offer, tell them they have one more week to consider it.

Start looking elsewhere and when that week is up, take your money and leave them go.

Offer taken off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Put a note in the door of the house with your offer, let them know you made the offer. If they have and interest in it but no offers then maybe it's over priced. You could also ask for another viewing, remind them you saw it 6 weeks ago and you want to refresh your memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

rionn wrote: »
    His reply was well you shouldn't be missing out on the houses you should go for 1 saying my offer of 68000 on a 80000 house was unlikely to get me the house. He said he is having more interest in the house lately but no more offers.

Can anyone give me there views should I walk away from this house (which I really want none of the other houses compare)

In fairness why should the seller or the EA recommend to the seller to accept your offer. You have lowballed and they have plenty of interest, just because your in a rush to buy doesn't mean the seller is in a rush to sell.

They are going to want to get the best price they can and if they have plenty of interest at an asking price of 80k I don't blame them for assuming that if they hold on they will get a better offer than your 68k.

The EA hasn't Bullsh*tted you with phantom bids he's been upfront, your offer is unlikely to seal the deal unless interest dies off and they cant get a better bid.

So either try and negotiate a price they are prepared to accept, sit on your hands hoping interest dies off and your offer is accepted or move on and look at other houses.

Putting a time limit on your offer sounds futile they seem in no rush and your offer doesn't interest them anyway so its pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭rionn

Thanks guys I think I will put an offer in of 5k more and hope that seals the deal? I was also wondering is this the norm for estate agents to wait so long on coming back with reply to offers.. With the EA attitude to me on the phone you'd think he didn't want to sell the house..

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Don't go in with 5k more, round it to 70k and see what response you. You go in at 73k and you're pushed up to 75k or 76k, go in with 70k, tell them you're really interested but are now viewing other houses. You may get pushed up another 1/2k but the more money left in your pocket the better

That doesn't work-pop a note through the door

Don't trust the EA-all they're interested in is getting as much as possible from you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Thanks guys I think I will put an offer in of 5k more and hope that seals the deal? I was also wondering is this the norm for estate agents to wait so long on coming back with reply to offers.. With the EA attitude to me on the phone you'd think he didn't want to sell the house..

I wouldn't jump in with 5k more. Id ring the EA and have a frank discussion with them tell them your interested but that you don't value the house at 80k but are serious about doing a deal.

Tell them you will go to 70k and ask them to go straight to the couple and see what they say and ask them to call you back immediately. With some luck the EA will go present the offer they will come back with a counter offer say 77k and you can then recounter at 73k final offer.

Hopefully that will then be enough to seal the deal for you at the price you were going to go in at.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭rionn

Cheers guys for some reason this guy scares me lol .. He is so to the point but tells me nothing about the seller. The house is vacant no one has lived there for a few years I am guessing it is been sold by the bank. Thanks guys for your help this is the first time I've been threw this process and hopefully the last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The house is vacant no one has lived there for a few years
    Get a surveyor to look at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Cheers guys for some reason this guy scares me lol .. He is so to the point but tells me nothing about the seller. The house is vacant no one has lived there for a few years I am guessing it is been sold by the bank. Thanks guys for your help this is the first time I've been threw this process and hopefully the last!!

I cannot for the life of me understand why there is no one working for buyers in this country. That is exactly what this person needs, an informed agent working to get them a home. The agents could split the money, half of something is better than all of nothing.

Advertisement