Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prefab Sprout Crimson/Red

• 01-08-2013 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Prefab Sprout returns with new studio album ‘Crimson/Red’ this October

Prefab-Sprout-circa-2009.jpg

Fans of reclusive songwriting genius Paddy McAloon spent a good part of last month debating the authenticity of a 10-song album called The Devil Came A Calling that mysteriously appeared online June 10, but now the verdict’s in: It is, indeed, a new Prefab Sprout album — although it’s actually titled Crimson/Red — and it’s due out this fall.
    PrefabSprout.net has confirmed the new record will be released Oct. 7 by Icebreaker Records. The album is the U.K. sophistipop act’s first since the 2009 release of Let’s Change the World With Music, a collection that actually had been mostly recorded in the early ’90s as an aborted follow-up to Jordan: The Comeback.
    Most recently, prior to Let’s Change the World, McAloon had released his only solo album, I Trawl the Megahertz, in 2003, and, before that, a Prefab Sprout record, The Gunman and Other Stories, in 2001. McAloon remains best known for Prefab Sprout’s 1985 album Steve McQueen — titled Two Wheels Good in the U.S. — and its singles “Faron Young” and “When Love Breaks Down.”
    McAloon suffers from tinnitus, and the hearing issue has sidelined his performing career over the past decade. In an e-mailed interview with Slicing Up Eyeballs in 2011, he said, “Hearing problems have made the live/traditional band career path pretty much impossible

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Long time fan cannot wait for this:) Billy is a fantastic track really love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Yep I've been listening to the new tracks on YouTube the last few nights. I wonder who leaked the album? Could it be Paddy himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

jordan the comeback was a brilliant album. i loved it but havent listened to it for maybe 15 years, dont know if i would enjoy it now.

emo72 wrote: »
    jordan the comeback was a brilliant album. i loved it but havent listened to it for maybe 15 years, dont know if i would enjoy it now.

I think you would as it was the last great Sprouts album with Thomas Dolby on production. I do have great hopes for the new album and I do hope they polish up some of the tracks and use real musicians, for drums harmonica etc, also I do wish Paddy would work with Thomas Dolby on production but doesn't look like it for the new album. I like the first single The Jewel thief but still think Billy is the stronger radio friendly track.

As far as I know it's just Paddy these days playing everything. Not sure what the others are up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Still never top the masterpiece that is Steve McQueen. Such a stunning album but good to see Paddy McAloon back. One of the most underrated songwriters of the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Wattle wrote: »
    As far as I know it's just Paddy these days playing everything. Not sure what the others are up to now.
    I was a member ver at prefabsprout.net at one stage and they interviewed Martin McAloon. He still plays bass, Wendy works in a School in some sort of Social worker role, I believe. Neil Conti does session work, I think. But Paddy is all that remains of the old lineup. Great to see new material though, its been far too long!

It's getting good reviews as well 4 stars in Mojo etc. I do wish he would work with Thomas Dolby on his new material as I think that's what makes Steve McQueen, From Langley Park to Memphis & Jordan the Comeback such great Albums, Andromeda Heights was a major disappointment to much ITV saxophone etc. Still looking forward to the new album. anyone order the boxset from the site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

It's getting good reviews as well 4 stars in Mojo etc. I do wish he would work with Thomas Dolby on his new material as I think that's what makes Steve McQueen, From Langley Park to Memphis & Jordan the Comeback such great Albums, Andromeda Heights was a major disappointment to much ITV saxophone etc. Still looking forward to the new album. anyone order the boxset from the site?

I thought AH was a gem. Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

What boxset, which site?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Just noticed that this thread is in alternative and indie. I would never have classed these guys as anything but pure pop! The best pop though.

No big deal, just a small observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Just spotted this thread.
    great news on the new album.
    Steve Mc Queen one of the best albums ever, way ahead of its time.

As for pop, the later stuff most certainly was but Steve Mc Queen was more indie/alternative IMO.

Can't wait to hear something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

There's a couple of the songs up on Youtube at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMau_naD4xA Is one such example

lewisdhead wrote: »
    What boxset, which site?????

This site.

mosstin wrote: »
    I thought AH was a gem. Loved it.

Yeah I really like that album too. Steal Your Thunder is an underrated gem.

no felt Andromeda Heights was way to sweet and twee for my liking really needed someone like Thomas Dolby to provide some quality control. We should be able to pick up the new album this day next week here in Ireland! so looking forward to that :)

Thought I'd have no problem picking this up today as Ireland usually gets CD's released the Friday before the UK release but no joy checked HMV and they didn't get it in or any of their stores, so looks like I'll have to wait until next week to get my hands on this!

Yeah I thought I might pick up a copy tomorrow but guess I'll have to wait till Monday.

I had to order from Amazon as no store seems to have stock and it's not even up on the Irish ITunes! Very strange indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I had to order from Amazon as no store seems to have stock and it's not even up on the Irish ITunes! Very strange indeed!

Tower in Dublin sold out of it. More copies this week.
    I got it in the Secret Book store.

Not sure of any other record shops around the country however. I imagine it snuck up on people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Crimsonred

No sign of it in my local Golden Discs today, I should have known better I suppose, Amazon is it then...

Yes I've ordered it on Amazon. No sign of it in Tower, Golden Discs or HMV.

I see that on Amazon the "Autorip" option is available to UK customers only.
    The ball is back in Golden Discs court now so.
    They might get it in over the weekend...

No surprise that it wasn't in HMV or Golden Discs as they only deal in 'sure things' but definitely surprised it wasn't in Tower.

Golden Discs can surprise you though, I saw the new Boards Of Canada CD in the branch nearest to me there a while back so I thought that Crimsonred would be a sure thing..

HMV and Golden Discs usually just deal with top 20 stuff. The rest they sell off on the cheap which of course is a good thing :). I don't think the new Prefab Sprout album is high on their list of priorities.

Nah HMV are usually good but was talking to the head music guy in the liffey valley branch and he said distribution lines have changed since they were last in business. I've ordered it off amazon, it's a real shame that the rip option isn't available to Irish customers.
    Anyway great interview with Paddy on BBC Radio 6 https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwwdu7x3qf10153/2013-10-08%20BBC%20Radio%206%20Radcliffe%20%26%20Maconie.mp3
    Credit to the lads on prefabsprout.net for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

This is in Tower as of yesterday. 16.99

Great album. His voice still sounds like it did back in the day and there's some really good tunes on it.

My only gripe, and it's a pretty big one, is the production. It sounds like it was recorded with an ipad using garageband. It doesn't do the music justice.

Got it within three days off Amazon. I'm really loving 'The Dreamer'. Great song.

• Advertisement

This is in Tower as of yesterday. 16.99

Great album. His voice still sounds like it did back in the day and there's some really good tunes on it.

My only gripe, and it's a pretty big one, is the production. It sounds like it was recorded with an ipad using garageband. It doesn't do the music justice.

Yeah it could really do with some Thomas Dolby magic!

Just got this over the weekend. Beautiful stuff. Particularly liking 'The Best Jewel Thief'.

yeah actually loving this was working for the weekend and driving around listening to it and have to say really loving it Billy is a classic really uplifting wonderful song and The Best Jewel Thief is great as is The Devil came a calling and The songs of Danny Galway, The old magician and the final track Mysterious, least favourite track is Grief build the Taj Mahal, it's just a bit all over the place.

Well done Paddy :)

Paddy McAloon will be intereviewed by Tom Dunne on tonight's (Tuesday) show probably get it on podcast if you miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Arrived this morning. Vinyl with cd included. Nice. Look forward to playing it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Paddy McAloon will be intereviewed by Tom Dunne on tonight's (Tuesday) show probably get it on podcast if you miss it.

Thanks for mentioning it. Found it at the link below 20 and a half minutes in.

http://newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/6/4825/15th_October_2013_-_The_Tom_Dunne_Show_Part_2

• Advertisement

Tom did a pretty good interview with Paddy, unfortunately it wasn't live as I had sent in a message which Tom read out earlier in the program to ask Paddy if he would ever work with Thomas Dolby again on some future projects as a producer. I'd really like to know that even more as the little story about Thomas Dolby listening to tracks from Steve McQueen in his bedroom and writing down possible titles was a nice little story I hadn't heard before.

Snake - he definitely needs a producer but that's his only problem as I see it. The tunes and his voice are lovely.

The Old Magician is a brilliant tune but that feckin sax solo sounds awful. Like a bad fart in a flower shop.

Snake - he definitely needs a producer but that's his only problem as I see it. The tunes and his voice are lovely.

The Old Magician is a brilliant tune but that feckin sax solo sounds awful. Like a bad fart in a flower shop.

LOL think you mean the Harmonica solo, it doesn't actually annoy me at all say compared to the ITV Drama Sax that ran through the deeply disappointing Andromeda Heights.
    But your right the Voice is great and most of the songs are brilliant!

Some of you may not have heard this. It's quite rare but gorgeous.

Yes it's a nice song but around this time I think the "ITV Sax" started to creep into Paddy's music and I blame this tune!

• Advertisement

Yes it's a nice song but around this time I think the "ITV Sax" started to creep into Paddy's music and I blame this tune!

Jesus wept Snake, 'ITV sax' and Thomas Dolby. Yes, we get the point you're making.

There's no sax in this song :confused: There's a harmonica alright but no sax.

Irish Times article. Nothing we haven't heard already, but worth sticking up :-)

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/sprouting-season-the-return-of-paddy-mcaloon-1.1568327?page=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

LOL think you mean the Harmonica solo, it doesn't actually annoy me at all say compared to the ITV Drama Sax that ran through the deeply disappointing Andromeda Heights.
    But your right the Voice is great and most of the songs are brilliant!
    There's no sax in this song :confused: There's a harmonica alright but no sax.

No its not the harmonica solo and upon listening to it again its not sax either.

Its a single note 'baa..ba-ba-ba-ba...baa' starting at 1:09

It sounds like bad synth brass. Makes me wince when I hear it. Great tune though.

The only song on the album that I'm not gone on is the Old Magician. For all his genius Paddy can be a little twee at times.

The only song on the album that I'm not gone on is the Old Magician. For all his genius Paddy can be a little twee at times.

No I like that track the one that does nothing for me is tears built the taj mahal, I think the old magician is one of the stronger tracks

Adolescents came on the radio last night (Dave Couse).

Sounded great! Stands up well to radio!

My favourite song on the album too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

Adolescents came on the radio last night (Dave Couse).

Sounded great! Stands up well to radio!

My favourite song on the album too.
    Dave has been playing a stormer all the week....

Advertisement