Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Linux Box

Options
  • 01-08-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Okay time for a new box. Was hoping to buy the new VU+ Duo 2 but its too expensive so I was thinking about either the:

VU+ Duo @ €400
    Gigablue Quad @ €310
    Technomate TM - Twin @ €250
    AN Other @ €

Any advice/suggestions would be welcome.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

Okay time for a new box. Was hoping to buy the new VU+ Duo 2 but its too expensive so I was thinking about either the:

VU+ Duo @ €400
    Gigablue Quad @ €310
    Technomate TM - Twin @ €250
    AN Other @ €

Any advice/suggestions would be welcome.

Regards

I have just "upgraded" from duo to quad and highly recommend the quad. OpenVix support the quad. You can get the Quad slightly cheaper than that. Try German stores. (Or maybe it has increased in price due to the availability of the new S2 tuners.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

givecredit wrote: »
    I have just "upgraded" from duo to quad and highly recommend the quad. OpenVix support the quad. You can get the Quad slightly cheaper than that. Try German stores. (Or maybe it has increased in price due to the availability of the new S2 tuners.)

Thanks for that.

In your opinion what makes the Quad better than the Duo please?

Thanks for that.

In your opinion what makes the Quad better than the Duo please?

1. Speed. Chalk and cheese.
    2. The ability to add two extra tuners, dtt or S2,
    3. Runs quieter.

The main difference is the speed of the thing, Like bootup time, speed at running plugins like autobouquets, better at streaming, eg works well with ice films, The Picture in Picture works.

Dont get me wrong, The Duo is a great machine, I own 2 of them, But the quad is just that much faster. Less image support than duo, But Vix is enough for me.

If you prefer the duo, I will have a good 2nd hand one for sale! Bought Dec 2011, Remote never used. (I use harmony) With 320gb harddrive inside. As New, with origional packaging. Make me an offer!

1. Speed. Chalk and cheese.
    2. The ability to add two extra tuners, dtt or S2,
    3. Runs quieter.

The main difference is the speed of the thing, Like bootup time, speed at running plugins like autobouquets, better at streaming, eg works well with ice films, The Picture in Picture works.

Dont get me wrong, The Duo is a great machine, I own 2 of them, But the quad is just that much faster. Less image support than duo, But Vix is enough for me.

If you prefer the duo, I will have a good 2nd hand one for sale! Bought Dec 2011, Remote never used. (I use harmony) With 320gb harddrive inside. As New, with origional packaging. Make me an offer!

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

I'm so confused about what to get, the 3 that I mentioned and now the 2 that STB has recommended for me.

This would be my first Linux machine. At the moment I have an Ariva 120 and 250 and previously had a Humax.

BTW this box will be used with a 1.1m Triax with a motor but in years to come will be used for a multi-set-up system.

Actually Ill acttach a couple of pics of my current set-up.

Is the technomate a bad box then, its so much cheaper than the others.

I dont really ever record anything, so a Hard Drive is not important to me.

I also use Harmony - have 2 of them.

Regards

Iba

• Advertisement

I dont really ever record anything, so a Hard Drive is not important to me.

Iba

Then Id recommend the Vu Solo. Great little Machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Dont forget the Amiko Ailen triple and the Golden media spark triple. Big thread in the terrestrial section.

Then Id recommend the Vu Solo. Great little Machine.

Does IPTV work with this?

snaps wrote: »
    Dont forget the Amiko Ailen triple and the Golden media spark triple. Big thread in the terrestrial section.

Thanks Snaps - now I have far too many options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Also, look at the Xtrend range - have a 9000 (dual tuner/pvr) and a 5000 (single tuner).
    Buy from Germany, prices generally good.

All run enigma2 based images.

• Advertisement

Does IPTV work with this?

Yes. With vix you get ondemand built in. Other IPTV plugins work too. Buy original. Stau clear of clones. Clones give u less options Firmware wise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

is there a good support site for the giga quad blue? and can you combine freesat and saorview epg's? whats the process for loading images, ccam, plugins, etc

It looks good but support seems to be lacking, whereas the vu+ is all over the place?

From reading the below thread, they seem to be the same box:

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/353172-amiko-alien-2-vs.html

Going by this post on another forum, these boxes dont sound too hot:

'GM Triplex, Amiko Alien 2, IceCrypt S3700 are all the same boxes, The main boards are all made in the same factory by Fulan.

As i've said before and i'll say it again they will never work properly under Enigma 2. Somebody at Fulan made a major f**k up when they chose the chipset for that board. As for waiting for a decent image i think you may be waiting for a while. Give the PKT Hyperion image a whirl. Its super stable on my nBox 5800sx which is also SH4, although it uses a more stable cpu than the Alien 2/GM Triplex.

If Fulan would have used the same Chipset as they did in the Alien SHD-8900 they would have been onto a winner with it in my opinion. The SHD-8900 is a nice box which works well considering its not got a MIPS cpu. They really f**ked up when they chose the 7162 CPU.

I'm sorry that you got stuck with this box, its just a pity that all the retailers made a major shove to sell these boxes to the unsuspecting users out there who thought they were going to be good boxes. Unfortunately if you make a point at trying to spell this out on their forums you are met with a ban just like i was.

I hope you sort the problem out Bobbyduke, but to be honest if you want a stable box its got to MIPS based'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Also dont forget the old faithfull....Dreambox 800HD! Can be got very cheap now (Clone)

where for the 800 cheap? can i fit a dtt tuner

Also dont forget the old faithfull....Dreambox 800HD! Can be got very cheap now (Clone)

I think I'm going to keep away from Clones

Anyone got this box, whats it like, any good, pros/cons:

Giga Blue HD 800 UE Linux HDTV Sat Receiver LCD HDTV HDMI PVR USB Combo Optional

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giga-Blue-HD-800-UE-Linux-HDTV-Sat-Receiver-LCD-HDTV-HDMI-PVR-USB-Combo-Optional-/181039559155?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Sonstige&hash=item2a26cc71f3

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id never recommend the Amiko to anyone ever again. Got one for parents and couple of buddys have them. They are not stable.

I absolutely hate the unit.

I would recommend the Vu duo+. Pick up the previous model its cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

listermint wrote: »
    Id never recommend the Amiko to anyone ever again. Got one for parents and couple of buddys have them. They are not stable.

Depends what image you use. Some are glitchy and laggy as hell. Have you used any openAR images. They seem to be the most stable I have used.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

Thanks for your input. Yes from other threads/forums that I read I've decided to rule the Amikos out.

If you see one of my previous posts I am thinking of the VU+ Duo if I could find it second hand for €200, the VU Solo second hand at €125 or the Gigablue Quad which I can only fid online new at about €300

The new VU+ Duo 2 is a bit too expensive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Depends what image you use. Some are glitchy and laggy as hell. Have you used any openAR images. They seem to be the most stable I have used.

New HDMU images and Hyperion 2 are very stable too but they still have slight quirks.
    Going by this post on another forum, these boxes dont sound too hot:
    lol,I know who made those comments and he sold his receiver last year when enigma 2 on it was brutal so his comments arent as appropriate now.

I have a Triplex as a second receiver and its very stable .

As the op isn't interested in recording though he doesn't really need a twin tuner receiver so I would rule the Triplex out .

A clone Dm800 would be a good enigma 2 box to start out on.
    Nice boxes and very stable but a bit slow compared to the newer receivers .
    Givecredit's Duo would be a good option too .

Zardoz wrote: »
    New HDMU images and Hyperion 2 are very stable too but they still have slight quirks.

lol,I know who made those comments and he sold his receiver last year when enigma 2 on it was brutal so his comments arent as appropriate now.

I have a Triplex as a second receiver and its very stable .

As the op isn't interested in recording though he doesn't really need a twin tuner receiver so I would rule the Triplex out .

A clone Dm800 would be a good enigma 2 box to start out on.
    Nice boxes and very stable but a bit slow compared to the newer receivers .
    Givecredit's Duo would be a good option too .

Thanks very much for your input Zardoz.

I still have not made up my mind - may well get the Duo or the Gigablue, rather than the solo - it may well all come down to price. I see second hand Duos for sale around the €200 mark whereas I can only find new solos at around €180 mark (I think) - so for the sake o €20 I'd get the Duo

I'm going to Poland next week, so I might see if prices there are a bit cheaper.

I'll have a google on the Dm800

I don't know so much about the image yet, but what I have read was leading me to lean towards the Vix Image.

I know that this is probably annoying but I'm really thinking of getting this one now at £170:

GiGaBlue HD800 SE Digital Satellite Receiver Linux Enigma 2 Combo DVB-S/S2 + Hybrid DVB-C/T

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE-HD800SE-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-Linux-Enigma-2-1x-DVB-S-S2-1x-DVB-C-T-COMBO

iba, are you sure you want that one, it will have a twin tuner ie its in one piece, then the dtt tuner may not be suitable for saorview, i cant find specs. also a twin tuner is not liked by certain set ups and things may not work. have you found a good support site.

whats wrong with your fergusons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I know that this is probably annoying but I'm really thinking of getting this one now at £170:

GiGaBlue HD800 SE Digital Satellite Receiver Linux Enigma 2 Combo DVB-S/S2 + Hybrid DVB-C/T

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE-HD800SE-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-Linux-Enigma-2-1x-DVB-S-S2-1x-DVB-C-T-COMBO

That looks a fairly good deal and that receiver is supported by Vix I think,Open Vix images so it should be fairly good.
    SalteeDog ,a user here has one so he could inform you as to its performance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81450121&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sammyano

Yes. With vix you get ondemand built in. Other IPTV plugins work too. Buy original. Stau clear of clones. Clones give u less options Firmware wise

Hi, am using the iptv plugin, but just wondering - does it eat too much data, as am curious about the Internet data side of things, any ideas?
    Cheers

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    iba, are you sure you want that one, it will have a twin tuner ie its in one piece, then the dtt tuner may not be suitable for saorview, i cant find specs. also a twin tuner is not liked by certain set ups and things may not work. have you found a good support site.

whats wrong with your fergusons?

No GB, Im not sure at all.

I thought this box had two tuners, one for Saorview and one for Sat. And I thought that each tuner is seperate.

I had the idea of using Vix with this box.

Nothing wrong with my Arivas as such (except setting DHCP on one with the new UPC router I got, but thats a different story) - I just need a 3rd box and thought I'd progress to a Linux one and step-up in terms of speed, apps and things it can run. And I'm tired of the way on the Arivas you have to do new channel lists everytime you you do a software update - I want to use bouquets and as far as I know there is none for the Arivas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

No GB, Im not sure at all.

I thought this box had two tuners, one for Saorview and one for Sat. And I thought that each tuner is seperate.

I had the idea of using Vix with this box.

Nothing wrong with my Arivas as such (except setting DHCP on one with the new UPC router I got, but thats a different story) - I just need a 3rd box and thought I'd progress to a Linux one and step-up in terms of speed, apps and things it can run.

Check with user SalteeDog.

I posted about this box when it came out. I have it in my head that there were issues with this box, but that may be people comparing its speed with the VU+ range.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056548614

Advertisement