Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New VOIP modem - advice needed

Options
  • 01-08-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

My Linksys router randomly died the other day, no idea why! Anyway, I'm looking to replace it ASAP.

My previous set up was my standard phone connected to the Linksys VOIP router, which connected (wired) to my Linksys WRT610N router.

I'm looking to either:

(a) replace the VOIP router with something cheap, but reliable. Don't need anything high-end
    (b) replace the WRT610N with a VOIP router that would be good enough to use as my primary device. So, have a 2-in-1 instead of using 2 devices.

I didn't use the VOIP router as a router last time as the wireless range was appalling. Used it solely for it's VOIP functionality.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated. Most of things goes straight over my head.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

peejay1986 wrote: »
    My Linksys router randomly died the other day, no idea why! Anyway, I'm looking to replace it ASAP.

My previous set up was my standard phone connected to the Linksys VOIP router, which connected (wired) to my Linksys WRT610N router.

I'm looking to either:

(a) replace the VOIP router with something cheap, but reliable. Don't need anything high-end
    (b) replace the WRT610N with a VOIP router that would be good enough to use as my primary device. So, have a 2-in-1 instead of using 2 devices.

I didn't use the VOIP router as a router last time as the wireless range was appalling. Used it solely for it's VOIP functionality.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated. Most of things goes straight over my head.

When you say your linksys died what do you mean? Are there any lights on the router and have you tried doing a factory reset? What model number is on the back of this router?

You could buy a standard ATA somewhere online pretty cheap. There is a list of some hardware suppliers here. Make sure it is not locked to a provider. I would recommend the Linksys PAP2T, which is a two line ATA but is discontinued, it still is a good piece of kit. It was replaced by the Cisco SPA302. Expect to pay in or around €35 for the Linksys PAP2T and watch out of the adapters if buying online.

I think right now this is the easiest option. If you want to go replacing your router, which will help with QoS, have a look at the fritzbox range which will do both the router and the voip lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Mr. G wrote: »
    When you say your linksys died what do you mean? Are there any lights on the router and have you tried doing a factory reset? What model number is on the back of this router?

Well, our Internet suddenly stopped working two nights ago. I went upstairs to reset the router and noticed the VOIP router's lights were all off. No sign of life from it. Tried factory reset but no joy. Did a test on the plug/cable and that's giving power. Stumped as to why it suddenly died.

What model number is on the back of this router?

The router is a Linksys WRP400

You could buy a standard ATA somewhere online pretty cheap. There is a list of some hardware suppliers here. Make sure it is not locked to a provider. I would recommend the Linksys PAP2T, which is a two line ATA but is discontinued, it still is a good piece of kit. It was replaced by the Cisco SPA302. Expect to pay in or around €35 for the Linksys PAP2T and watch out of the adapters if buying online.

I think right now this is the easiest option. If you want to go replacing your router, which will help with QoS, have a look at the fritzbox range which will do both the router and the voip lines.

Cheers for the recommendation. Will have a look now.

Well, our Internet suddenly stopped working two nights ago. I went upstairs to reset the router and noticed the VOIP router's lights were all off. No sign of life from it. Tried factory reset but no joy. Did a test on the plug/cable and that's giving power. Stumped as to why it suddenly died.

Did you have thunder or lightning recently?

That sort of sounds like a surge of power hitting the voip router if there is absolutely no lights, tones or anything coming from it at all. Perhaps there's an internal fuse or something in it that isn't working or it just got blown by the surge.

To be honest anything further then that really isn't worth the hassle of trying to fix, the amount it would cost to fix it would out-way to cost of a new voip ata.

Did you have thunder or lightning recently?

That sort of sounds like a surge of power hitting the voip router if there is absolutely no lights, tones or anything coming from it at all. Perhaps there's an internal fuse or something in it that isn't working or it just got blown by the surge.

To be honest anything further then that really isn't worth the hassle of trying to fix, the amount it would cost to fix it would out-way to cost of a new voip ata.

Slight bit, but didn't think it was around the time it stopped working. Was told that it was unlikely to be a surge because of "it only allowing DC in", although I hadn't a clue what the lad was saying to me. Also, it was in a 4 plug adapter so would the others not have been harmed also?

Slight bit, but didn't think it was around the time it stopped working. Was told that it was unlikely to be a surge because of "it only allowing DC in", although I hadn't a clue what the lad was saying to me. Also, it was in a 4 plug adapter so would the others not have been harmed also?

By 4 plug adapter, if you mean power adapter yes, if you mean a 4 port network switch, possible but the chance is small as it would be protected by a fuse inside. I haven't ever seen it happen. My advice is to surge protect anything valuable, including a landline or cable connection. It's happened to me where the modem got blown due to a surge up the landline

DC is direct current, AC is alternating current. AC basically reversing positive and negative over time. This is what is coming into your house. A battery in a remote control is DC, and if you put them in the wrong way round obviously they wont work. The adapter would change the current from AC to DC, but in extreme scenarios it can get blown. I would be more likely to come up from a landline then through the consumer unit, through socket fuse etc etc. If there is nothing at all and no signs of power in the router (including no dial tones, no lights etc), I really can't think of anything else that would cause this to happen (other then using a lead with a higher voltage)

• Advertisement

By 4 plug adapter, if you mean power adapter yes, if you mean a 4 port network switch, possible but the chance is small as it would be protected by a fuse inside. I haven't ever seen it happen. My advice is to surge protect anything valuable, including a landline or cable connection. It's happened to me where the modem got blown due to a surge up the landline

Yeah sorry, I meant power socket. That makes it confusing then. A power surge would've damaged the devices in the other 3 plug sockets. In those were the main router, the analog phone and a fan. All working fine.

DC is direct current, AC is alternating current. AC basically reversing positive and negative over time. This is what is coming into your house. A battery in a remote control is DC, and if you put them in the wrong way round obviously they wont work. The adapter would change the current from AC to DC, but in extreme scenarios it can get blown. I would be more likely to come up from a landline then through the consumer unit, through socket fuse etc etc. If there is nothing at all and no signs of power in the router (including no dial tones, no lights etc), I really can't think of anything else that would cause this to happen (other then using a lead with a higher voltage)

Just tried it again. Can't get any sign of life from it so I think I'll just bite the bullet and get a new device for the VOIP. Was going to open up the device but can't do that without smashing it open.

It's the only adapter in the house that's not surge protected. My own fault really.

Yes it would. Make sure when you get it to setup a dial plan so it is just like a regular landline. Details of how to do that here.

Advertisement